Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Lounge plates and stuff.

Pages: 1 3 replies

Hey gang, if you have a Kohls department store around you, you may want to check out their housewares section and look for the clearanced Tiki Lounge stuff. (I say clearance, but I've never seen them before, perhaps they are just pre-spring sale items.) They have big 14" trays, small sandwich plates and cups, along with some "tropical" picnic items.
They have a Tiki Lounge theme, a Hula Bar theme and some Travel thing with an old style airplane and palm trees.
Very neat, and at half price, ($2.50 for a small plate) not a bad deal.

I went to an antique mart in Vegas and found four large dinner plates and four smaller plates that said South Pacific on one edge, next to a brown tiki. There was a South Pacific in Miami, but I don't know if these were from that place or somewhere else. The large paltes were $20 and the smaller plates were $14. I bought a trader Dick's mug instead.

K

Tiki culture has obviously popped-up on some radars lately, as Pottery Barn (really) is now selling "Tiki Den" Pillows, Hula-girl plates, etc. All have a retro, luxury liner graphic feel.

Made me feel kinda main-stream.

What next--Matha Stewart Tiki Mugs at KMart?

--Kingslod!

F

On 2002-03-29 13:30, kingslod wrote:
Made me feel kinda main-stream.

I know what you mean Kingslod. I went to Crate and Barrel to buy something white porcelain or glass (like everything else in that store) for my cousins wedding shower. As I was deciding weather I should get her a white lasagna dish, white casserole dish or white popcorn bowl my eye was distracted by some nice pillows with a tropical deco foliage design. I contemplated to myself, "would these pillows add any extra pazazz to my living room?" when stopped myself in shock when I remembered that I was in Crate and damn Barrel!!!

Just remember, little tiki home-decor touches may have gone mainstream but Tiki Central types who appreciate tiki excess will NEVER be accepted by Martha Steward. It's okay Kingslod, we will never be popular. (I hope that brings you comfort.)

Pages: 1 3 replies