Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Bands playing in the Lihue/Poipu area?

Pages: 1 8 replies

P

The missus and I will be on Kauai next week (staying in Lihue,) . I would really like to catch a show or two.
I read about the Takeoffs playing The Sheraton in Poipu; My wanna catch them. Anybody else?

Hawaiian Ukulele/Steel/slack key bands, surf bands, Anything?

Thanks!

Nobody?

I hate to tell you this, but Kauai is the best place on earth to visit. Your days will be wonderful. But there is zero night life. Zero. Hawaiian state locals have a weird cultural tendency to go to bed really, really early. Prime time is ever an hour early. My dad grew up there and explains that the early morning hours were the best for the suger cane laborers to get work done because they are the coolest. Everyone then has the early afternoon to surf or just talk story one the beach. Without local support there is very little businesses can do to drum up support. Waikiki gets 95 percent of the spring break crowd and the rest goes to Maui. Kauai tends to be the backpackers and family and newlyweds destination and as a result there are few live music venues. Hawaiian slackkey performers will occasionally appear at the community college but there is very little rock, dance music. Reggae is very popular in Hawaii thou.

I go through the nightly tradition of making a different tropical cocktail every night, taking a walk on the beach and turning in early (and I am a serious nightowl). You will have a wonderful time on Kauai. It is magic. But you will not be going nuts at night. And once you have experienced the Kauai lifestyle I think you too will appreciate the different way of life for a little while and realize that the island is actually unique and is better off without youngsters raising hell at Senor Frogs or Margaritaville.

P

Nah, your description sounds just right in my book. I am a night owl by nature, but not a "club scene" type. I am a fan of Hawaiian music though, and was hoping for for ukulele strumming with a meal and a mai tai or two.

Maybe the local hotel chains' entertainment will have to suffice, but I would prefer whatever is the Hawaiian equivalent to the Irish Session, where people just sit in and play music in a local hangout. Not professional, y'know.

I am very much looking forward to my (all-too-brief,) stay there. Maui was nice, (Lahaina is a great town,) and Kailua-Kona was even more to my tastes, something about Kauai has me really excited, though.

Anyways, thanks for your input. Any more info on the Lihue/Poipu area is really appreciated, I land there Saturday afternoon.

Humuhumu pointed your thread out to me so here are a couple good ways to find local kine music:

Listen to KKCR in the mornings they will give you the scoop for live music, events and festivals all over Kaua'i.
Aloha Fridays at the Kukui Grove in Lihue usually has Hawaiian music and dance on Friday evenings. Also, on Friday nights the Art Walk in Hanapepe on the west side will usually have somebody jammin' but no guarantees on what style you get on any given night.
The Marriot, in Lihue, has live poolside music pretty frequently near the restaurants but I don't know the schedules.
Tahiti Nui in Hanalei has bands play as well as Tree's Lounge in Kapa'a However, usually not Hawaiian style tunes by any stretch and they get crowded fast.

The Take Off's at the Sheraton is a can't go wrong if you like surf guitar (and who doesn't?) The guys are really tight and play awesome tunes in a perfect beach location. I might be able to join you out there on a Sunday night if the days activities don't leave me crisp.

D

you might find some daytime slack key guitar concerts here
http://www.hanaleisunsets.com/liveshows.html

we stay at the Hyatt, and they always have music on the sunset terrace
http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/entertainment/index.jsp

have fun!

Thank you all for some great feedback. I am very excited for my trip.
I will put some pictures up upon my return!

Chongolio, the missus and I will definitely try to make The TakeOffs show. Hope you can join us, look for these two:

That's us; she's Cheryl. I'm Chris.

Aloha, Passerby!

You'll lurve Kauai! It's just so Beautiful!

On 2009-04-16 21:24, dogbytes wrote:
...we stay at the Hyatt, and they always have music on the sunset terrace
http://kauai.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/entertainment/index.jsp

+1 :) ...the Hyatt's Stevenson's Library -- a classic lounge -- usually has nightly later-evening jazz.

And the 90-seat Cook's Landing pool-side lounge at the Aston Kauai Beach at Makaiwa on the Coconut Coast usually has a local musician doing laid-back island music after dinner if you just feel like dropping by for a shooter on the way back from Kapaa without having to get "gussied up."

Finally, here's a discussion about where to go on Kauai after 9 PM. :D

Here's wishing you and your lady fair winds and following seas and long may your big jib draw! (...and wishin' I was going back with ya!) :)

[ Edited by: Bambú Yoo-hoo 2009-04-17 00:19 ]

This is great info. I love TripAdvisor!

Pages: 1 8 replies