Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Wanted: tiki musicians/hula dancers in the Boston area

Pages: 1 6 replies

H

I hope this is the right forum to post this, but I'm hoping all you clever tikiphiles will be able to point me in some good directions...

I have an annual tiki party in the metro Boston area and have been hiring the same hula dancers for the past 3 parties. They're great - everyone loves 'em - but I was hoping for something different this time around, so the party doesn't get too same-y. What I'm hoping for is a couple of musicians who could do hapa haole or exotica or something. I don't have a lot of space, so I'm thinking 2 or 3 people tops - I don't have the room or cash flow for a whole band.

Basically I'm thinking a uke, a guitar, and some singing. This is, of course, totally flexible and open to any and all suggestions and alternatives. A singer/musician and hula dancer combo would also be awesome. They just need to be good, friendly, and reliable. It's a family-friendly gig, so that's something else to consider.

I'm also not opposed to getting different dancers - the people love their hula! I know some of the local colleges have Hawaiian clubs - a student who dances well would certainly be fine.

Any thoughts? YouTube or other performance links would be particularly helpful.

Many mahalos in advance!

Hi Hibiscus, I'm Carl from Bamboo Saxotica.

I play parties/weddings/clubs etc. for a living, and I could certainly play a party with my Uke alone, or with an upright bass player and a lap steel player.

Here I am singing and playing ukulele at the NETT last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8R2mMHqASk

I know a bunch of Hapa Haole and any other music you might want. I don't Hula dance though :wink:

my e-mail address is carlayotte @ aol.com (but without all those spaces of course)

Hi, Carl! I saw that very performance at NETT II last fall! What a fun time that was! You guys were a blast.

Glad to see you do this sort of thing. Right now I'm at the "collecting ideas" stage of the game, so may I hold on to your email and give you a holler when I have a better idea of my schedule, etc? All I know is the party will likely be this summer and likely be on a Saturday evening. Beyond that, the cash flow gods decide... Not much info, I know. Still workin' on it.

Thanks for getting in touch!

(BTW, will you be at the Tiki Retreat in the Berkshires in a couple of weeks? If so, maybe we can talk more then...)

Unfortunately, I have to miss that one. :(

But I'm at most FOM "Meat" and greets etc.

And don't be afraid to send me e-mail with any question big or small you might have!

H

Thanks - will do!

H

Granite Tiki - I sent you an email.

I shall respond soon!

Thank you,

Carl

Pages: 1 6 replies