Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Moloka'i?

Pages: 1 9 replies

Has anyone been and have recommendations? There are only vague references on this board.

This is what the Molokai tourism board states:

MOLOKAI: HAWAIIAN BY NATURE

There's an island in Hawai'i that the world has left behind.
A place where there are no buildings taller than a coconut tree. No traffic and no traffic lights. Where nature calls you to push yourself to the limit and pull yourself together. An island, a place, a state of mind...called Moloka‘i.

Outdoor explorers, eco-seekers, ocean adventurers -- welcome to Hawai'i`s most natural island.

http://www.molokai-hawaii.com

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Moloka'i?
It has a great Polynesian look:
http://www.hotelmolokai.com

Aloha, christiki295.

I've never been to that particular island, but I will say that Molokai coffee is absolutely the best-tasting coffee that I have ever drank!

Yep. Molokai coffee. For me -- it soars above Kona, Yrgacheffe, and Jamaica Blue Mountain.

If you're a coffee-lover, please try some!

Of course, I buy the Tiki Coffee from Tiki Joes, but that is from Kaua'i, although sometimes I like Pele's flavor in coffee from the Big Island.

christiki - What is Pele's Flavor in coffee on Big Island as you say? We live Kona and never heard of this.

At the Farmer's Market in Kona, down from Uncle Billy's, a vendor of organic coffee stated that Pele gives Kona coffee its rich, robust, dark and strong quality, which makes it the best coffee in the Islands.

We were planning a trip in April this year but backed out at last minute because of business being slow. Thre's only 1 hotel & I'm not a hotel kind of guy. Lots of condos & cottages (my preference)sprinkled all around the island though. I have afriend who went & he couldn't stop talking about.
Wife said "Why go to Molokai? Looks like thre's not much to do."
Exactly!!!!!

It's a bit pricier to stay & travel there but the food is cheaper w/o expensive overpriced resorts.

Here's where we were going to stay. We will go- probably close to end of year. Business is much better now & I do need a vacation!
Check the Pauwalu- very cool, right on the beach w/ a view of Maui across th bay.
What's not to like?

http://www.molokai-beachfront-cottages.com/

Are there the stereotypical sandy beaches? Neither the Condo nor the Hotel Molokai show a sandy beach in their photos.

I think it more like very tiny white smooth stones on some beaches. The link above is on Murphy's Beach, according to the map.
Longest beach is Popohaku on the west end. 3 miles long, 100 yds wide. My friend said eveytime they went there- it was deserted w/ their footprints the only ones there.... for 3 miles!

The beach off the northwestern tip of Moloka'i, Penguin Bank is a nice beach but water is very rough. Also best beach to see whales off Moloka'i during our whale season which sadly is coming to an end. Now with our economy the way it is every island is very quiet. Yes, Moloka'i is quiet but very full of history and beauty. Visitors from the mainland need to experience our other islands and our noho 'ana.

Pages: 1 9 replies