Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

TC'ers-I Need Help

Pages: 1 6 replies

ST

Hey TC members,

As some of you may recall, I am planning on building a new commercial Tiki Bar in Ventura, Ca. I wanted to let you know that although it has taken a very long to get off home plate, we are now moving in a positive direction. We have run into many road blocks along the way (the city, location, etc), with more to come im sure. I have had alot of support from TC members and I am grateful we have this community to support each other.

I have a fairly strange request for all of you. I am looking to get ahold of a business plan that is drectly related to a Tiki build. I have a pretty good, existing business plan in place but it really lacks alot of information that I would like to see included. I have written plans in the past, and the Tiki route has been challenging, due to the fact that it has a more specialized build out, as well as the the "unforseen" budget items like artifacts, etc.

I know its an unconventional request, but im wondering if anyone has a sample plan that I can take a gander at? It would be really helpful to see the way its all line out. Im not trying to steal creative license, so dont worry about that.

Let me know

St Tiki- Patrick

As a business plan, you would be looking for a dollar amount to include for decor? It's pretty safe to say that you will spend every cent you allow and your decor will be limited by how much you have to spend. No one here can answer that for you.

If you mean to ask for someone's design of their facility... well that's different than a business plan and will be controlled by the constraints of your location. The actual design should be one of your personal vision based on the kind of bar you want, influenced by your visits to places that you've admired.

I suspect I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, so am I missing your point?

On 2009-04-17 11:03, Unga Bunga wrote:
Maybe you can use this as a sound-board.

That is fabulous!

ST

Hey everyone,

thanks for the comments, especially the business plan link. Although I have an existing plan, its nice to be able to look at other examples.

To answer a few other questions....I was merely looking for some examples. OUtfitting a tiki bar gets tricky because there are alot of purchasing of artifacts etc. I know my budget for these purchases,I wanted to see how people had listed it on thier plans.

P

Didn't we go down this muddy road a while back? As I recall it didn't end well...

G

On 2009-04-18 10:11, St Tiki wrote:
OUtfitting a tiki bar gets tricky because there are alot of purchasing of artifacts etc.

This statement is a little confusing. In what way is it tricky? If you have an interior design of the bar on paper from either your own hand or from a professional designer/architect that matches your budget, it's simply a matter of acquiring and installing the materials. Unless you're planning a trip to Papua New Guinea or Tahiti in search of real artifacts, you're going to turn to known suppliers like Oceanic Arts or Benson's Imports and (hopefully) experienced builders and installers like Bamboo Ben. There's nothing tricky in dealing with these businesses. They've been outfitting tiki bars for years. Decades in the case of OA. So I'm really not following what you're asking for.

What seems far more tricky in opening a tiki bar is whether the location, the area's demographics and the local competition are favorable to supporting a tiki bar. Not to mention whether this is going to be a modern tiki bar or a classic one; an emphasis on high volume, high markup drinks served by young low-skilled bartenders (shudder) or hand-crafted cocktails expertly mixed by highly skilled bar chefs.

I wish you the best of good fortunes.

EDIT: I don't mean to oversimplify the issue with my "it's simply a matter of..." statement. I'm aware there are local codes and ordinances you have to comply with and I'm sure that can be quite tricky to navigate. But that's true for any restaurant/bar.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2009-04-19 06:19 ]

Pages: 1 6 replies