Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Da Show 2003 - Redondo Beach, CA June 14th

Pages: 1 24 replies

Aloooooooooha!

This year's Aloha Cruz show is on June 14, 2003 in Redondo Beach, CA. That's the day BEFORE Father's Day.

Is anyone going?

Anyone wanting to hit King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant that morning before going? Da Show starts at 9 am.

It's still a little ways away, but mark your calendars!

Aloha Cruz Da Show 2003

King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant

Only 6.8 Miles from King's Hawaiian to Da Show

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2003-04-02 10:18 ]

By the way, I only recognize two names from TikiCentral that will be there showing & selling their goods: KC (Beachdude), and The Starlite Room. Where's our other members? Chiki? BambooBen? Wes? Holden?

Tikifille~might be an excellent place for you to sell your carvings too!

Yes, I'll be there. I never miss Da Show - I go every year! Last year I thought I was the only one who went to Da Show because everyone was at Tiki Oasis in Palm Springs. I guess I wasn't the only loser there - Bong was too!

Anyways, Aloha Cruz has strict requirements regarding selling there. They said to be a vendor you must sell Vintage Hawaiiana only. Not sure how strict they enforce that rule - Flea Market Music is a regular vendor and they sell nothing but NEW ukes.

PolynesianPop wrote:
...Aloha Cruz has strict requirements regarding selling there. They said to be a vendor you must sell Vintage Hawaiiana only.

Oh yeah. Heard it. Been there. Done that. I remember doing between 48 and 60 antique/toy/collector shows a year (my employees doing 1 or 2 shows, while I did another myself the same day) for 6 years. Most of the time show promoters say "you must do this or you must do that", but when it comes down to it, as long as you stay in the theme of the show, they are usually ok with newer items. Who has VINTAGE tikis in bulk to sell anyway?

Besides, in ANY collector type show, as the years go by, the true vintage items will occupy less and less of the sellers tables since alot of it is finding their way to their final homes of collectors and enthusiasts and not in the hands of sellers & dealers. I'm sure Basement Kahuna can testify as to how hard it is, as a dealer, to find rare, hard-to-find, vintage, original items to sell.

Just my 2 coconuts worth,

FormerDealerCaddyDaddy

D

Aloha Cruz has fun things to look at. What nice people too! Are the items they sell at "The Show" as pricey as the stuff in their shop? A little to high end for my budget.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-02 10:58 ]

T

Hey all, 2 people that were on the OC Tiki Crawl Bus will selling at 'Da Show', KC - Beachdude Inc, and Don & Michelle (the older chap with the great head of grey hair).

ALSO, I don't know how many times I've posted this but, YES WE KNOW CRUZ IS EXPENSIVE, NO HE IS NOT THE ONLY VENDOR THERE. OTHER PEOPLE ALSO SELL THERE AND THEIR STUFF IS MORE REASONABLE!

D

I'm sorry if I repeated something that has already been discussed.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-02 16:49 ]

L
laney posted on Wed, Apr 2, 2003 3:39 PM

And I'm the TC bitch??? :-? Bong, I give you my crown :P Meow

T

DawnTiki,

I was just kidding around (hey, you know Bong).

It was just funny that everytime 'Da Show' comes up, someone always says "Yeah, but Cruz is so expensive". It's kinda like the perenial erroneous belief that you can contract the flu from a flu shot.

Laney,

since I was my usual kidding, ha-ha self, you retain your perpetual crown!

T

Adrian, last year I did the massive tikiphile roadtrip.
I went to Caliente, until Sat. nite then left at like 12:00 give or take (missed 134 damn it!) In bed by 2AM up at 6AM and on to Da Show, I was tee-keyed out.

Bong are you and Laney going for King and Queen of the prom
This banter sure is cute?

I think I am going to show with KuKuinut this time, it was to cool last time.

And in some way BIG ED of Freaky Tiki will be there, just tell him Baxdog sent cha
And he can say "SO" just like everybody else

Be there or lose hair?

T

I also hit the Oasis and Aloha Cruz, although I did it all on Sunday. Since I have a lot of rattan, this is the mecca for me (Bong- I am not going to say it's pricey, I'll just say that I prefer the challenge of dragging a double wide papasan chair out of a dumpster and refinishing it.) This year won't have the schedule conflict with the Oasis, but they mean the cut off time for entrance so make sure you arrive on time.

SCD- I'm doing a few commissioned pieces, so I'm sorta busy. I couldn't imagine dragging these things all over the place. Thanks for the positive thoughts, though. I might be up for petit dejeuner. The restaurant is close? I am unfamiliar with the area. Fun Fun Fun!

On 2003-04-03 07:40, tikifille wrote:
SCD- I'm doing a few commissioned pieces, so I'm sorta busy.

Tikifille, say it ain't so! You're not selling out' to 'the man' are you?!!

T

On 2003-04-03 07:40, tikifille wrote:
Since I have a lot of rattan, this is the mecca for me (Bong- I am not going to say it's pricey, I'll just say that I prefer the challenge of dragging a double wide papasan chair out of a dumpster and refinishing it.)

TikiFille, I'm a bit confused, you go to 'Da Show', which you infer is expensive, yet you'd rather dumpster dive for a hippie papasan chair. Why go to 'Da Show' if you don't want to buy anything there?

D

Now I feel like I belong! Your not really a TC member till Bong slams you! THANKS BONG! I am home! :P LOL!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-03 08:58 ]

L
laney posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2003 1:22 PM

On 2003-04-03 07:16, thebaxdog wrote:

Bong are you and Laney going for King and Queen of the prom
This banter sure is cute?

Ewwwwwww! Cooties! :P

T

[Removed by Hanford at the request of Laney]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2003-04-03 17:39 ]

L
laney posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2003 2:49 PM

First of all, I believe, Bong, I told you that in a private e-mail, so please respect my personal life. Second I broke off that relationship but there were still hurt feelings. You don't even know me well enough to say something like that! I'm shocked and disgusted you'd stoop that low. Third let's keep it to a joking manner, especially since this is a web board! Don't let this get hurtful and too personal, I really don't appreciate this! (I'm serious-not a joke) Remember if you dish it out you must be able to take it. This is way too far, Thanks, Laney

[ Edited by: laney on 2003-04-03 14:50 ]

[ Edited by: Laney on 2003-04-03 15:05 ]

T

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-04-03 17:57 ]

Bong, Laney: If you'd like to continue please use private messages so the Topic stays on-topic.

~Hanford

T

Hanford,

Point well taken.

Sincerely,

Mr Tiki Bong

P.S. Laney - we cool?

T

SCD- I think I'll pass on breakfast. I think I've got a hippy rally to organize.

Poly Pop--No, not selling out to "the man". It's the same as always, some tikis at a price, and some just spreading the hippy, tiki love vibe.

I'll be there too. It's by the Purple Orchid. Maybe we can all meet up there after. That's my birthday.

Happy Birthday Mr. Chiki "Diablo" Tiki!

(When you's havin' kids? Time is a tickin)

Still on the fence about chiluns. They kind of make me pucker. Estress. I'm working on getting the fellas at OA to make it.The missus and I had a good time visiting with them today.

See you people at DA SHOW in 38 minutes! YEAH!

Pages: 1 24 replies