Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Big find in Brooklyn

Pages: 1 2 replies

D

It's RARE, I mean really rare, that I ever find any Tiki at any flea markets here in NYC. Right off the top of my head I can recall maybe four occassions over the last five or six years. One being when I found an ultra rare postcard at the now extinct Chelsea flea of the Bali Hai in Northport, Long Island for a buck. I also found some Tiki Leilani mugs at one point, and some Tiki candle lanterns (I don't know the brand but I saw them in Collecting Tiki). Today was one of those rare occassions. It was the first day of the Brooklyn Flea out in Ft. Greene. I had never been there before but it was really packed and reminded me of the Fairfax High flea market in LA. So who says you have to get to the fleas early to get the good stuff? I guess your odds are just better, but we got to the Brooklyn flea probably around 3PM. There was some fairly interesting stuff there. I found a table that had, to my amazement, one lone tiki mug. I must say I wasn't instantly impressed by the design but decided to take a look anyway. Picked it up, looked it over, and lo and behold it was from the Hawaiian Room from the way back glamorous past of New York City. Wow! How much? A staggering 7 bucks American. I'm too lazy to take my own photo, but you can find it here http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&ind_mug_id=28151&mug_id=108

A day. A very GOOD day.

Outstanding find...gives all us east coasters hope. Especially those of us in out of the way places.

KK

Nice work DonHo - average price $112 on ooga mooga?

You did good.

Pages: 1 2 replies