Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Need ideas, pics, etc... for new project

Pages: 1 8 replies

BT

I want to carve a chess set. I've never seen a tiki styled one before so why not.

Most likey I'll carve the 6 main pieces. King, queen, bishop, knight, rook and pawn. I've ordered a silicon mold kit so I can make a mold of each and cast some resin pieces.

I'm not rushin in, I'm gonna sketch out all the pieces first and get general plans. After the first six I may try to duplicate the pieces in wood over time until I have a full wooden set also.

I'll try and keep them fairly simple and probably about 1- 1 1/2 inches round and maybe 3-4 inches high for the king. The pawns will be the simplest.

So what I want help with is figuring out what the pieces should be. I have a few ideas but would like to hear your ideas, and if you have any good pics or anything please show 'em.

This is the list so far (could change):

King - Ku I think the headress makes it an obvious choice.
Queen - Not sure (should it be a tiki in drag?). Should I attempt a hula girl?
Bishop - Maybe a more religious tiki, not sure, a triangular headress might be good.
Knight - probably a sea horse
Rook - sandcastle? Or maybe a Tiki hut.
Pawn -

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 22, 2009 2:28 PM

Check out Crazy Al's insane Tiki chess sets.

Murph, we posted exactly the same time. :D

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2009-04-22 14:30 ]

KC makes a resin Hawaiian chess set:

Buzzy Out!

BT

Oh wow, Crazy Al's is nice. Yeah, I think I need to mix it up a bit and not have all Tiki's.

The Hawaiin one is pretty cool too.

Thanks

Good luck with the chess set! I think it be cool to do a south pacific style set, with woods from different islands and weapons as the less detailed pieces like clubs and spears.Keep posting the progress.

crazy al's tiki chess set.....kinda takes the wind out of your sails, don't it?

M
Murph posted on Wed, Apr 22, 2009 9:57 PM

On 2009-04-22 14:28, Unga Bunga wrote:
Check out Crazy Al's insane Tiki chess sets.

Murph, we posted exactly the same time. :D

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2009-04-22 14:30 ]

OK, that was kinda eerie :D

Badd Tiki, forget the resin. Make chess pieces based on Maori designs. One side carved from bone, the other, jade.

Pages: 1 8 replies