Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

New Tiki's out of Tampa

Pages: 1 16 replies

W

I just completed my third Tiki. I am posting the 2nd and 3rd one's. My first one now graces my mother's pool patio, will try to get a pic on here with that one. My last one, the third, is the surf tiki. I added some extra stuff to it to make it more of a art piece. For example, the surf board has a fin and the board has painted lines. So it's not in the "traditional" style. I have done those as well where you are just using the chissel, and mallet, and then sanding, and burning your shaded areas for depth. Anyways enjoy pics, and I will post the new ones as they come, take care community...

[ Edited by: waiipo 2009-04-25 19:11 ]

L

Good beginner stuff! Welcome on TC Waiipo!

M
MBL posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2009 4:25 AM

Good stuff Jay! I am really glad you embraced this stuff. The surf Tiki is really nice. You don't know it yet, but your carving is a by product of TC's very own GMAN....we have to all get together and have a carving spree.....Perhaps we can run around at night and Tikifi the trees in peoples yards.....The Tiki bandit strikes again!

Seriously though...nice work!
Tim
MBL

TK

wow a local carver.

W

On 2009-04-26 04:25, MBL wrote:
Good stuff Jay! I am really glad you embraced this stuff. The surf Tiki is really nice. You don't know it yet, but your carving is a by product of TC's very own GMAN....we have to all get together and have a carving spree.....Perhaps we can run around at night and Tikifi the trees in peoples yards.....The Tiki bandit strikes again!

Seriously though...nice work!
Tim
MBL

GMAN, dude, I can't hold a flame to him, I consider him a pro, If the marine biology gig doesn't work out for him, I do belive he has found his calling..

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Apr 26, 2009 1:52 PM

Waiipo and MBL,

We should get together and make some chips. I'm around more this time of year, so let's get something going. Maybe we could make a big piece that we all work on?

-G

Welcome to TC, Very nice! Keep'em coming and happy carving.

Welcome aboard! Your carvings look great. I like the details you put into the first one and the cool expression on the 2nd.
There seems to be a lot more south Florida carvers showing up here lately. 8)Keep carving and posting.

I love the surfer tiki - I'm truly inspired to do my own. Do you have any tips? What wood did you use? I'm new to carving. As far as tools - I'm looking to get a set off Ebay but there are so many that vary in size and angle - which do you recommend?
Thanks.

W
waiipo posted on Sat, May 2, 2009 7:49 PM

On 2009-04-27 14:15, Tiki Advice wrote:
I love the surfer tiki - I'm truly inspired to do my own. Do you have any tips? What wood did you use? I'm new to carving. As far as tools - I'm looking to get a set off Ebay but there are so many that vary in size and angle - which do you recommend?
Thanks.

I suggest the large Flexcut chisels, thats all I have, but have been looking at the smaller set as well, I want to get more detailed as time goes along. This wood I do believe was a cherry wood, nice soft wood, was great to work with. and I used a chain saw to cut away alot of the stock, sometime you have to use a power tool here and there, a dremel kit someimes will help with some cosmetics, but learn to do by hand first.. most of all have fun, get lost in your work!! It keeps my hands busy, and my mouth shut, which is a good thing my wife says.. :)

W
waiipo posted on Sat, May 2, 2009 7:53 PM

On 2009-04-26 17:32, Savage Daddy wrote:
Welcome aboard! Your carvings look great. I like the details you put into the first one and the cool expression on the 2nd.
There seems to be a lot more south Florida carvers showing up here lately. 8)Keep carving and posting.

Thank you Savage Daddy, and I love the pic of the palm tiki, very cool carving!!

S

Nice work! I have a soft spot for the surf tiki.

B

Very nice start!! I like the hibiscus etching on the surfer. If I had a old surfboard decal like Hobie I would send it to you. Buffbad

W

[ Edited by: waiipo 2009-05-21 19:52 ]

W

This is the last one I carved, finished about 2 weeks ago, before the monsoon rains hit the bay area. I am working on a mask now, a perfect piece of wood from the back side of the surf tiki I posted earlier. have another log ready to be carved out soon, gonna do a deeper cut this time, well enjoy pics, and have a great Memorial day weekend!!

W

This was a tree stump a buddy of mine had in his front yard, he was going have it removed, I told him to hold off on that for a bit, it was a dead Camphor tree he had cut down in his front yard. It went in two directions right about wher the top of the horse head is. His daughter loves horses, so I turned it into a horse head. it looks funny, but from what it used to look like, it transformed into a horse's head. We did this in 3 hours, so not the best I could have done. We let his daughter stain it so she could be involved in the making of it. hi-ho silver ! enjoy pics...

P

Very nice work on the surfing tiki. I plan to do one with a board myself some day. Is the board carved into the piece or seperate? Also - any advice on the hibiscus flowers? I plan to incorporate similiar flowers into a piece for a friend but I've never tried anything so detailed. I'm afraid the wood will split if I don't carve with the grain.

Pages: 1 16 replies