Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The Cars Elliot Easton Resurfaces With Tiki Gods

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

T

Not sure if this was posted anywhere...

Famed The Cars' guitarist, Elliot Easton debuts Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods, an Exotica instrumental group featuring some of music's greatest talents on Friday, May 8, at Key Club.

With members from The Brian Wilson Band and The Wondermints, this nine-piece ensemble plans to create waves in the exotica, Tiki music scene.

"There isn't really a word to describe the band's sound," explains Easton. "Think martini lounge, space age, Exotica, with lush, romantic themes from Hollywood 60's movie soundtracks like Pink Panther and James Bond. It's the hybrid sounds of the Tiki culture and Polynesian dance and a combination of surf rock and instrumental mood music. Most importantly, it's a very fun kind of music," he added. "For example, we'll be playing the theme song from Star Trek."

The all-star, nine-piece band includes Elliot Easton (lead guitar, vocals), Nick Walusko (guitar), Probyn Gregory (trumpet, percussion), Brett Simons (bass), Nelson Bragg (drums), Todd Jaeger (keyboard), producer Andy Paley (keys, bass), Gary Griffin (keyboard), and Scott Bennett (multi-instrumentalist). Each of these master musicians have played and toured with bands such as The Who, Sheryl Crow, Tom Waits, Flaming Lips, Filter, Smashing Pumpkins, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Todd Rundgren, as well as with The Brian Wilson Band and The Wondermints.

Doors at 9:00 p.m. Ticket price is $10.00 and advance tickets are available at Ticketmaster.com or at the Key Club box office (310) 274-5800

Anybody going to this?

are you sure this isn't old info??..elliot easton had his exotica debut a few years back....i'm confused...

T

Thanks Pug,
I have really liked the few songs the tiki gods did in the past.
I am gonna go to this.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2009-04-29 23:07, bigtikidude wrote:
Thanks Pug,
I am gonna go to this.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The price is right...let me know how it was

Is this like A SIGN or something..will there be ANOTHER resurgence in surf & tiki related music? where is the lovation of this venue..hells YEAH the PRICE is RIDICULOUSLY LOW...if you are familiar with Easton he really did do a good job with this music ..although I think its been over 10 years since the Tiki Godswee around

T

The Key Club is on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood

On 2009-04-29 23:09, TikiPug wrote:

On 2009-04-29 23:07, bigtikidude wrote:
Thanks Pug,
I am gonna go to this.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The price is right...let me know how it was

will do,
I told JonPaul about it too,
and he said this sounds like a must.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

cool-

..but my favorite instance of a contemperary band going tiki is the stingrays, which was basically comprised of tom petty's band without tom petty...kinda like a side project..but the surf sounds they created make this one of the all-time best surf albums by a non surf band....

Probyn Gregory and Scott Bennett were two of the amazing musicians that helped Brian Wilson have the success that he's had with his recent tours, with special regard to the "Smile" tour. Helluva band lineup, should be a great show.

On 2009-04-30 08:26, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

cool-

..but my favorite instance of a contemperary band going tiki is the stingrays, which was basically comprised of tom petty's band without tom petty...kinda like a side project..but the surf sounds they created make this one of the all-time best surf albums by a non surf band....

I heard about that. I'd love to hear that record.

Greg Hawkes, keyboardist for The Cars, also does shows playing ukulele. Look him up on video sharing sites, there's tons of footage of him playing uke out there.

He ought to open for Tiki Gods!

Q

Elliot Easton used to be a regular contributor to the Gretsch Pages forum and had a notoriously famous White Penguin Tiki guitar, which everyone at the forum drooled over. Notice the pickguard:

B

Left Handed White Falcon ?

[ Edited by: basilh 2009-04-30 13:57 ]

Q

I believe this model is a Penguin. The Falcon has f-holes.

THE CARS’ ELLIOT EASTON DEBUTS BAND WITH ALL-STAR LINE UP
ELLIOT EASTON’S TIKI GODS
FRI. MAY 8, 2009 AT KEY CLUB

Featuring Members of The Brian Wilson Band and The Wondermints

(LOS ANGELES, April 28, 2009) – Famed The Cars’ guitarist, Elliot Easton debuts Elliot Easton’s Tiki Gods, an Exotica instrumental group featuring some of music’s greatest talents on Friday, May 8, at Key Club. With members from The Brian Wilson Band and The Wondermints, this nine-piece ensemble plans to create waves in the exotica, Tiki music scene. Doors at 9:00 p.m. Ticket price is $10.00 and advance tickets are available at http://www.Ticketmaster.com or at the Key Club box office (310) 274-5800.

“There isn’t really a word to describe the band’s sound,” explains Easton. “Think martini lounge, space age, Exotica, with lush, romantic themes from Hollywood 60’s movie soundtracks like Pink Panther and James Bond. It’s the hybrid sounds of the Tiki culture and Polynesian dance and a combination of surf rock and instrumental mood music. Most importantly, it’s a very fun kind of music,” he added. “For example, we’ll be playing the theme song from Star Trek.”

The all-star, nine-piece band includes Elliot Easton (lead guitar, vocals), Nick Walusko (guitar), Probyn Gregory (brass, keys), Brett Simons (bass), Nelson Bragg (drums), Todd Jaeger (keyboard), producer Andy Paley (keys, bass), Gary Griffin (keyboard), and Scott Bennett (multi-instrumentalist). Each of these master musicians have played and toured with bands such as The Who, Sheryl Crow, Tom Waits, Flaming Lips, Filter, Smashing Pumpkins, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Todd Rundgren, as well as with The Brian Wilson Band and The Wondermints.

ABOUT ELLIOT

As lead guitarist for the legendary rock band “The Cars” and “The New Cars,” Elliot has sold over 30 million records worldwide. Well respected in the guitar community, Elliot’s reputation is that of a tasteful musician with a knack for coming up with memorable solos, great tones, and an uncanny ear for creating unforgettable “hooks” on pop records. Easton released a solo album in 1985, Change No Change, featuring songs co-written with Jules Shear. In 1998, Easton's playing was featured on No Cats, an album from bassist Lee Rocker of Stray Cats fame. Easton then joined Creedence Clearwater Revisited, the modern touring version of Creedence Clearwater Revival. Currently, Easton is a member of The New Cars, along with original The Cars member Greg Hawkes, singer/songwriter Todd Rundgren, former Utopia bassist/vocalist Kasim Sulton, and Tubes drummer Prairie Prince.

WHO: Elliot Easton’s Tiki Gods
WHAT: Debut Show!
WHEN: Friday, May 08, 2009 at 9:00PM
WHERE: Key Club
9039 Sunset Blvd.
W. Hollywood, CA 90069
(310) 274-5800
TICKETS: $10.00 and available at http://www.ticketmaster.com or by calling Key Club box office (310) 274-5800.
WEBSITE: For further information on the band, go to http://www.myspace.com/eliotteastonstikigods
Don’t miss an extraordinary night of music and Tiki talents! For media and interview requests, please contact Kim Koury at SPIN PR [email protected].

TM

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2009-05-06 14:34 ]

BM

The Tiki Gods were actually part of the resurgence of surf WAAAAY back in the early nineties...hes no johnny-come-lately to this..was actually kinda instrumental (sic) in being around when bands like Insect Surfers, Bomboras, et al were bringing surf back..did they ever release a full length recording or were they just single cuts on Del Fi and other comps?

On 2009-05-06 08:04, bb moondog wrote:
The Tiki Gods were actually part of the resurgence of surf WAAAAY back in the early nineties...hes no johnny-come-lately to this..was actually kinda instrumental (sic) in being around when bands like Insect Surfers, Bomboras, et al were bringing surf back..did they ever release a full length recording or were they just single cuts on Del Fi and other comps?

that's right....elliot easton was there at the beginning..though i don't recall a full length album ever materializing...

incidentally, has anyone checked out todd rundgrens album where he puts an exotic spin on his hit tunes....most memorably is his hit "hello, it's me" done in true martin denny style....quite interesting...

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-06 14:35 ]

H

Yeah, they really shouldn't say "debut". Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods first released something back in 1995.
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Elliot+Easton's+Tiki+Gods

Good to see he's at it again.

Hardly any prior mention on TC but here's something from Doctor Z.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10369&forum=11&vpost=107957

H

On 2009-05-05 09:16, bigtikidude wrote:
THE CARS’ ELLIOT EASTON DEBUTS BAND WITH ALL-STAR LINE UP
ELLIOT EASTON’S TIKI GODS
FRI. MAY 8, 2009 AT KEY CLUB

Oh yeah, wasn't Tikiyaki Orchestra's Brian Kassan a member of The Wondermints? Is he performing with Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods?

On 2009-05-06 09:04, lucas vigor wrote:
I have been listening to exotica and lounge music since I was a small child (courtesy of my mom's mid-century record collection) and when stationed in Hawaii as a youth, made friends with older military guys that had seen Arthur Lyman live, and still had the records.

But, I only came to this internet community of tiki about 6 years ago. At the time, the only exotica bands that I knew were Ape, Mai kai gents, Fisherman burlesque, freaky tikis, Thurston Howlies, Project pimiento, waitiki, etc...

I have never heard of Elliot Easton's forays into exotica, except this thread, and I have been here since 2004.

So, in my opinion, they have not made the same impact on the tiki scene that other tiki bands have, and that's why I consider them the "new kids on the block".

I am sure they are going to be great, but they have the added advantage of famous names, whereas our scene is more underground. And our tiki bands have to really work for it.

I just want to see our bands here get their due respect and acknowledgment.

..what do you mean by "making an impact"?....all the bands you have mentioned have already made huge contributions to the tiki scene....it seems to me that your idea of making an impact is somehow making the scene more mainstream acessible....am i understanding you wrong?

be happy our scene is underground..it's right where it needs to be...otherwise it gets overrun and dilluted by trend followers that crap it up and abandon it just as quickly for the next big trend to come along....leaving the rest of wondering what happened...

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-06 14:35 ]

lucas vigor wrote:

Would you be questioning me if say, Jessica Simpson announced she was forming a tiki band?

That would be the best album ever!!!

I'm pickin' up what Lucas is dropping...

whatever, lucas....you sound way too angry right now for me to deal with and besides, i really don't care one way or the other...no need to throw a tantrum and pick up your ball and go home....why don't i be the one to duck out of this thread and leave you to your cheerleading.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-05-06 12:33 ]

Hey Lucas,
its basically a surf band,
not an Exotica or Hawaiian band.

chill out.
just because they have tiki in the Name is no big deal.
there are at least 10 other surf bands that have tiki in the name somehow.
and you never made a big deal about them.

its surf, even lower on the ladder than Exotica/Hawaiian music.
have a drink and chill bruddah.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jessica Simpson in a tiki band? Wanna hear something weird? When I see this thread listed and I see "Cars Elliot", I think it says "Cass Elliot" and I get this mental image of the deceased Mama of the Mamas and Papas coming back to life and fronting a band playing exotica music. Or posing on an album cover like Sandy Warner did for Martin Denny.

O.K. back to the regular discussion...

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2009-05-06 13:14 ]

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-06 14:36 ]

BM

there is a LOT of latent and misplaced ANGER on this thread and its friggin WEIRD..NO ONE expected a former CAR to even DO a surf LP in 95 and 12 years later the same amount of people (ZERO) would expect him to RESUME that career move..unless of COURSE HE LOVES surf music...hmmmm

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2009-05-06 18:45 ]

T

Hey Lucas, thanx alot for hi-jacking the thread I started. Air your dirty laundry somewhere else.

..agree on the Buffett thing (as I am sure MANY do)..now the DEAD..have their purpose.
YES I guess you could call this HIJACKED

p.s. Bump for Friday night.
Elliot Eastons, surf band
the Tiki Gods.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S
squid posted on Wed, May 6, 2009 11:32 PM

I look forward to the reviews:) While I'm not a Cars fan, I am a total Rundgren geek. So anything vaguely related always interests me.

Have fun at the big rock show!

S
squid posted on Wed, May 6, 2009 11:40 PM

On 2009-05-06 09:26, Hakalugi wrote:

Oh yeah, wasn't Tikiyaki Orchestra's Brian Kassan a member of The Wondermints? Is he performing with Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods?

Yes, Brian was a member of The Wondermints. But he's not playing with the Tiki Gods. We got him locked down :wink:

Elliot Easton rips! He's the guy that always slipped that Chet Atkins rockabilly fingerpicking into the Cars songs... Think the chorus of 'Best Friend's Girlfriend'... I gotta say, I enjoy me some Cars... I'm sure he's always been into rockabilly and surf and all the stuff that goes along with that... Should be pretty cool. Can't wait to hear it.
...and yeah, that is a Gretsch White Penguin on the first page. SUPER rare. NICE guitar.

T

While I'm not the biggest Cars fan either, Whenever I hear "Moving in Stereo" that scene from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" with with Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool, I can't help but pause....that has got to be one of the best marriages of music and visual ever. :o

For that, the Cars are ok in my book.

On 2009-05-08 09:29, tikiyaki wrote:
While I'm not the biggest Cars fan either, Whenever I hear "Moving in Stereo" that scene from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" with with Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool, I can't help but pause....that has got to be one of the best marriages of music and visual ever. :o

For that, the Cars are ok in my book.

Yeah, I pause my DVD player at that scene too. Oh wait..that's not what you meant is it :oops: The Cars' videos for "You Might Think" and "Hello Again" are the first videos I think of when I think early '80s MTV.

M

I was just transferring my CDs to iPod and remembered that the song "Monte Carlo Nights" by Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods appears on that sdtk from 1997.

T

Finally this thread is back on track and no more whining. Have fun tonight, wish I could be there. Please give a full report tomorrow.

TM

On 2009-05-08 14:54, TikiPug wrote:
Finally this thread is back on track and no more whining. Have fun tonight, wish I could be there. Please give a full report tomorrow.

Whining? Someone having an opinion is "whining"?

T

On 2009-05-08 16:31, lucas vigor wrote:

On 2009-05-08 14:54, TikiPug wrote:

Whining? Someone having an opinion is "whining"?

Bitching about the size of the strollers at Disneyland in a thread about tiki music, yeah I would call the whining.

Heading out the door now.

got a busy weekend.
it may be a few days for the report.
but I will, promise.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

ok first off, let me go over the guys and the Instruments.
Elliot had a White Mosrite, I didn't look to see if it was a Ventures Model or not. too far back. a Vox Phantom 12 string, and a Danolectro baritone guitar.
the other guy from the Wondermints played a Green Italia guitar , with a Mother of Toilet seat finish to it, and on one song played a Coral electric Sitar. 1 Keyboard player also played a Therimen,(pretty well I might add) and the other keyboard player also played maracas/castanets and other rhythm shakers and a Spanish guitar on 1 song. a Horn player played a Trombone,trumpet,and French Horn. And Standard Rock drums and Bass.

Again the Sound was basically a Jazzy/loungy Surf, Spy sound, Not Exotica or Hawaiian sounding at all, he did one song he wrote called Tabu, but said it was more Wes Montgomery style than Exotica.
ok here is the set list.
Peter Gun,
Experiment in Terror,
Spiderman,
Harelm Nocturne,
Out Of Limits,(this was the song with the Castanets and French Horn)so cool,
It Had Better Be Tonight,(from Pink Panther)
Shot in the Dark,
Spooky(little thing called love),
He Never Came Back,
Tabu, Original (info about this above)
Star Trek theme,
Beat Girl,
Lonely Surfer,
Music to Watch Girls By,
Theme from The Avengers,
I Feel Fine,(Instro version of Beatles tune)
Mission Impossible,
Psycho,
Goldfinger,

over all we who went were really impressed.
there were a few tiny mistakes,
but being that it was their 1st Performance,
I think they did a great job,
I was enjoying the show a lot.
hope they play more.

but if its the same night as Smokin Menahunes,Hula Girls,Tikiyaki, or any other tiki band, I will not go,
because we all have to support the tiki bands right?

Jeff(bigtikidude)
"Where Good Rum is Immortalized, and Drinking is an Art"
"And, When that old "Demon Rum" slips past the lips it still works its ancient,cheerful magic" (Don the Beachcomber)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-05-12 12:12 ]

"Music to Watch Girls By" - We've messed around with that song...I still wanna do it someday.

yeah I've always loved that song, since I heard Satan's Pilgrims cover it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2009-04-30 13:44, quickiki wrote:
Elliot Easton used to be a regular contributor to the Gretsch Pages forum and had a notoriously famous White Penguin Tiki guitar, which everyone at the forum drooled over. Notice the pickguard:

well he didn't play a Gretch, or this Gibson either(below) but I thought you might wanna see it.

and a close up of the tiki:

Pages: 1 2 47 replies