Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

The new Incredibly Strange Bob Crane painting....

Pages: 1 2 replies

In keeping with my tradition of painting old dead guys, here's a new commission painting.... This guy is really dead. Thanks for looking!

... and in a tiki tie-in (well, maybe stretching a little), I was in Waikiki when Bob Crane was murdered. I was walking back from a below-the-street pizza place called Red Lion (on Kuhio?), and the headline caught my eye, on a paper in a newspaper box. I remember feeling very depressed about it. Crane seemed like such a nice, "regular" guy, when I saw him in interviews - he'd been on the dinner theater circuit. Who'd want to kill him? Especially since the murder was so brutal. It wasn't till later that the rather unpleasant, seamy facts of his private life were revealed. Then the murder didn't seem so incredible, anymore.

Yeah, I have to say, I was 10 when he was killed, and I had seen him in "Superdad" and "Gus" - 2 Disney movies. I felt the same way. I guess it's that good old PeeWee Herman Syndrome - a seamy side to an otherwise family-oriented personality.

Pages: 1 2 replies