Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Sam's Sea Food Franchises?

Pages: 1 7 replies

I found this matchbook the other day, and to my surprise, it mentions Sam's Sea Food franchises. Did this ever come to fruition? It's odd, because the picture makes it look like a fast food joint (burgers, milkshakes, etc).

Something else I've noticed ( I guess it's my past life as a graphic designer popping back up)... after looking at this matchbook and then a few other Sam's matchbooks I have, I noticed that it always appears to be written as Sam's Sea Food, not Sam's Seafood (how most people spell it). So have most of us been writing it incorrectly? Or did Sam's Sea Food refer to itself both ways? Or is it just a case of bad kerning?

I bring this up because it can be important when searching on TC or the web for info on the place.

T

Hmmm...never heard of any franchises....Maybe it was planned, and they were advertising to get franchisees, but never got it off the ground.

Interested rendering tho...It DOES like like a Hamburger stand.
Maybe that was what the building looked like when it was the previous location across the street...the one that burned down.

The current location was built in 1960, but before that it was across the street, and they had a fire, and then rebuilt it where it is now.

Interesting.

There IS one person who can probably answer this question. The owner's son comes into Don's now and tells Chuck all kinds of stories about the place back in the day.

His dad is the one who built the current location, and had owned the former location for a short time before it burned down.

M

Seaburgers? Looks like a place Spongebob Squarepants would work!

I kind of thought the same thing, Tikiyaki, but then I noticed the phone # is newer (7 digit). Did they have this style phone # before it burnt down? My older matchbooks have the old style phone # on them.

A

The sign pictured on the top matchbook states "World Famous for 35 Years" so that would date it to 1958.

T

On 2009-05-01 13:25, Tiki Shaker wrote:
I kind of thought the same thing, Tikiyaki, but then I noticed the phone # is newer (7 digit). Did they have this style phone # before it burnt down? My older matchbooks have the old style phone # on them.

Geneva 0= GE 0 = 430 - So the prefix was the same.

I remember they used to make up words like that for phone number prefixes in the 50's and 60's

And this matchbook appears to be from the 60's judging by the rendering of the building. Man, I wish they still had a sign like that.

T

On 2009-05-01 13:45, arriano wrote:
The sign pictured on the top matchbook states "World Famous for 35 Years" so that would date it to 1958.

Remember Arriano, the original "Sam's Seafood Spa" dates back to prohibition. Interesting tho'....I'd really love to get a proper timeline for the place.

On 2009-05-01 13:45, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2009-05-01 13:25, Tiki Shaker wrote:

Geneva 0= GE 0 = 430 - So the prefix was the same.

I remember they used to make up words like that for phone number prefixes in the 50's and 60's

And this matchbook appears to be from the 60's judging by the rendering of the building. Man, I wish they still had a sign like that.

I Google searched both Nick and Richard Katsaris...only two references I found were of Nick sponsoring a kids' soccer team under the Sam's Sea Food name in 1958 and a 2007 comment on an article about Sam's from a guy that worked for him in 1963. The only Richard Katsaris I could find on Zabasearch.com was born in 1969...much too late to be him. Could Richard be the "son" mentioned in the above post?

http://www.hbindependent.com/articles/2007/07/28/entertainment/hbi-reger26.txt

http://www.localsports.biz/youthsports/youthsports.htm

By the way...the name of the soccer team Sam's sponsored in '58? The Shrimps. :)

myspace.com/anotherdayinthelbc

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2009-05-01 14:15 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies