Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

gas tiki torches to propane tank

Pages: 1 3 replies

A month or so ago I bought a trio of gas tiki torch heads on ebay. I want to install them in my back yard, but not to the gas line. I would like to hook them up to the propane tank I use for my turkey fryer.

The problem I am having is figuring out what kind of connector I would use to connect from the 3/4" black pipe that will attach to the heads, and the flexible hose that will connect to the propane tank itself. I want to be able to hook the propane tank up only when we are going to be outside using the torches.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to do this? Thank you in advance, and I look forward to hearing any suggestions.

LT

Something like this - place a valve between the plumbing to your torches and the fitting which mates with your flexible hose. You should also get a protective cap to cover the fitting when not in use.

Take your flexible hose to Home Depot; someone there should be able to determine the proper fitting - it will be the same as the one used on your turkey fryer - and find a valve for the fitting as well. I'm assuming you have or will have a pressure regulator between the tank and the flexible hose to maintain proper pressure in the line.

Yep, don't forget that pressure regulator and keep a nice spray bottle full of sudsy water to check your connections handy.

Remember going from small to large to small pipes over long runs wastes lots o gas priming things up.

Well, I decided to change the plan a little bit. Instead of hard mounting these "Polynesian" gas torch heads in the yard, I am building a heavy platform to mount both the 2 torches (at the tops of 6' black pipes), as well as hold the propane tank. I will be using the flexible hose (like from a turkey frier) to connect the tank to the pipes at the bottom. Each of the heads will have it's own ball valve. This way, it is going to be portable, and I won't set fire to my fence (which looked like it may have been a concern).
Thank you for the advises. As soon as the project is done, I'll try to take a photo or two and post the pics.

Pages: 1 3 replies