Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Looking For Grog Log Or Intoxica

Pages: 1 38 replies

B

Just wondering if anyone may have an extra copy of the Grog Log or Intoxica.. new or used don't matter.. ripped or torn no worries... Looking to make a few other drinks than my mai tai's..
Mahalo's
scott

C

I got mine from the following:

http://www.tikibosko.com/: Intoxica; they doubled the price to $20, but supply and demand for you
Kegworks sold me grog log, but looks like they're out.

B

Mahaloz Kraig, Carpathia.... Yea those were the first two sites I tried... Then ebay.. There is one Inoxica there but $52.00,, That's almost two bottles of appleton's extra right there...:wink:

I'm sure something will come around...until then I have the recipe for Berry's $100 Mai Tai!!

Aloha

scott

B

Thanks Bosko for the book!! Intoxica is in my hands and just may have to try a DB Zombie tonight... There were a few more left for anyone needing one..

Aloha

you have to get the Bum's Sippin' Safari and then decide which DB Zombie you want to make.

Check out this nugget from Beachbum Berry's new post on his iPhone app:

"We’ve been hearing a lot lately from people who can’t find copies of the Grog Log, Intoxica!, or Taboo Table. Fear not, fellow fuddlers: Help is on the way.

Our publisher plans to reprint the Grog Log and Taboo Table this summer, and in November we’ll have a new book out, Beachbum Berry Remixed, a revised and updated compendium of the Log and Intoxica! featuring 100 additional new recipes gathered from around the world.

But more on that later."

Full post here: http://blog.beachbumberry.com/2009/05/19/calling-all-bums-iphone-now-has-a-tiki-drink-app/

Hokey smokes! 100 new recipes--Wash some mugs! Restock the bar! Notify Swanky and the Grogalizer!

J

My understanding is that some of the recipes in the compendium due out later this year are modified from their original Grog Log or Intoxica versions. (i.e. one of the Zombie recipes now calls for brown sugar syrup as opposed to a teaspoon of brown sugar. Not a major difference, just an example). Also he doesn't mention anything about reprinting Intoxica. It's also not clear if ALL of the recipes from Grog Log and Intoxica will be reprinted.

Looks like I'll be hanging on to mine for now...

All three books are currently on eBay for 39.99 each for anyone who doesn't want to wait (likely to go up though as I see that the auction has just started).

$150.18!!!
Now that's a deal!

what about the Tiki+ iphone app? are those recipes faithful to the actual Grog log intoxica recipes? if so seems like 3.99 is a pretty cheap alternative... i got the app last night and is pretty cool, but i do not have the books so can't actually compare recipes and am not sure how many are left out of books...

A

On 2009-06-04 05:56, spacelooper wrote:
what about the Tiki+ iphone app? are those recipes faithful to the actual Grog log intoxica recipes? if so seems like 3.99 is a pretty cheap alternative... i got the app last night and is pretty cool, but i do not have the books so can't actually compare recipes and am not sure how many are left out of books...

The Bum himself is promoting the app so I'm guessing it's pretty good:

http://blog.beachbumberry.com/

Just picked up a copy off craigslist and a couple other books for 15 dollaros.. Saw one on amazon the other day for 199.00 :0 ..

If I had an Iphone that app would be great... although the last time I was drinking mai tai's at the hotel my phone went in the jacuzzi with me.. probably better I don't have one..

KC

On 2009-05-25 13:29, Unga Bunga wrote:
$150.18!!!
Now that's a deal!

Looks like they changed the price - now it's $15.85

Chris

S

I think the new book is all the books together. This time, each recipe will have a full color photo of the drink done by various artists. I am hopingit will be like Ted Haight's new book and be water resistant and lay flat for easy reference.

The Bum said it's what he always wanted to do. Full color. Revisiting some recipes to correct them with new knowledge, etc. Lots of new recipes. So, if you want to wait, you can have the new fancy version for less than the old versions.

My Grog Log just arrived today. Ten bucks plus shipping at Amazon. Hmmmmm.....do I buy the new one that still says first printing or do I buy one from that dickhead who wants $150.00 for the used copy? Tough choice.

Barry I love that you didn't bother to change the printing number. I am a big collector but to me the Grog Log is a tool. It is a thing to be used. Not a collectible to be kept pristine.

I know this is going to sound like sacrilege, but I have found the new iPhone app so useful that I'm ready to part with my Beachbum Berry books. I'll probably buy the new book when it comes out though.

Here's what I have:

Beachbum Berry's Grog Log (Original Printing - 8.5 x 11 format) - VG condition, just some minor scuffing on the edges of the cover sheet - $30.00

Beachbum Berry's Grog Log (1998 version with color cover and spiral bound) EX- condition, just some very minor cover wear - $10.00

Intoxica! - EX condition - $20.00

Shipping will be extra. Buy all three for $55.00 + shipping. Please e-mail me at: [email protected] if interested.

On 2009-07-27 22:54, Double Crown wrote:
I know this is going to sound like sacrilege, but I have found the new iPhone app so useful that I'm ready to part with my Beachbum Berry books. I'll probably buy the new book when it comes out though.

Here's what I have:

Beachbum Berry's Grog Log (Original Printing - 8.5 x 11 format) - VG condition, just some minor scuffing on the edges of the cover sheet - $30.00

Beachbum Berry's Grog Log (1998 version with color cover and spiral bound) EX- condition, just some very minor cover wear - $10.00

Intoxica! - EX condition - $20.00

Shipping will be extra. Buy all three for $55.00 + shipping. Please e-mail me at: [email protected] if interested.

I'll buy this one:

Mahalo!

The original Grog Log is sold, the other two are still available. If anyone wants both it'd be $27.50 + shipping.

I got lucky a few weekends back and picked up copies of both Intoxica! and Taboo Tale for only $10 each.

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2009-08-10 21:17 ]

H

I was just checking, If you need one go to Ebay, under Beachbum Berry you will find the Grog Log for $5.00.

S

Barnes and Noble online has the availability and publish date of the new book, Beachbum Berry Remixed listed as December 9th, as opposed to Amazon that has it listed December 23rd, so hopefully we will be all reading this in time for the holidays!

The 'old school' Grog Log is on the UK Amazon site for £6.75

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=beachbum+berry

i have copies at my store , send me a pm . well work out a price.

i have all 4 books new .

Hey, go to Amazon. Intoxica is now $960.00! But hey the shipping is only $3.99.

That is unbelievable. You could buy 3 iPod Touchs plus the Tiki+ app on all of them for that.

On a related note, I'm selling my falernum-stained, sticky-with-sugar-syrup, dogeared and well-loved copy for the bargain price of $500.00. Let me know and I'll ship it out to you. :wink:

On 2009-10-25 10:13, OceaOtica wrote:
Barnes and Noble online has the availability and publish date of the new book, Beachbum Berry Remixed listed as December 9th, as opposed to Amazon that has it listed December 23rd, so hopefully we will be all reading this in time for the holidays!

I hope the ship date is correct and I can get these before x-mas.Need my three copies for presents and home use.They have a good deal with free expedited shipping.
You might need to search under " beach bum" because it didn't show up under "beachbum".

anybody have INTOXICA available?
I can and will wait for the new one but I 'm a hoarder and still want them all ! lol

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-12-10 10:51 ]

W

Almost makes me wish I had an iPhone. But there's no cell phones on my island.

V

Hi all,
Beachbum Berry Remixed is due out December 23rd, but you can pre-order from Amazon.com at a reduced rate.

Looks like the release date has been pushed. Just got a notice from Barnes that it will not be available on the 9th(yesterday). Amazon also says it will not be available before x-mas. Bummer.

RB

Ha! How funny to find these early appreciators of Exotica and Tiki on the same book list!:

http://www.amazon.com/Amok-Fifth-Dispatch-Sourcebook-Information/dp/1878923129/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260678143&sr=1-8

Wonder how the bum feels about these delays....bummed, perhaps.

Can't wait for 'Remixed'!

But I'm a bit bummed myself that another journalist (though, admittedly, one I quite respect) beat me to the punch (a RUM punch, in this case) re. an interview/article I wanted to do for Tiki Magazine on Jeff, his life/career, and his newest tome.

Oh well... But I challenge anyone to come up with a better TITLE than the one I was gonna use: 'Life Behind Bars -- A Bum Rap With Jeff Berry'!

Cheers! :drink: :tiki:

SK

There is currently a paper back versions of the Grog Log on Amazon for $10.95.

Publisher: SLG Publishing; No Spiral Bind edition (January 1, 2013)

http://www.amazon.com/Beach-Bum-Berrys-Grog-Log/dp/1593622465/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360973262&sr=8-3&keywords=grog+log

Does any know if this printing differs from earlier ones?

Thanks,

SK

I also noticed there was a non-spiral bound Grog Log on Amazon and eBay for cheap... looked fishy to me so I emailed the Bum. He confirmed that Grog Log and Intoxica were re-issued by the publisher earlier this year. The Bum wasn't too happy with this because some info in there is now out-of-date (that's what Remixed was meant to fix). Let's see if the ridiculously high auto-generated Amazon prices on the first printing drop now.

I'm stoked because I had missed out on Intoxica the first time around. Btw, the reissue of Intoxica is spiral bound. UPDATE Got my Intoxica today... it's not actually spiral-bound - weak...

-Trad'r Bill

[ Edited by: trad'r bill 2013-08-02 16:30 ]

Pages: 1 38 replies