Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Great Drinks at Don the Beachcombers

Pages: 1 31 replies

TWO

We had the pleasure of visiting Don's HB this weekend. It was my first visit there.
After hearing so many mixed reviews about service, drink quality etcetera I decided to post my two cents.
We went Saturday and after the Nooner at Ben's on Sunday.
The drinks were consistently AWESOME. The service was OUTSTANDING. Ryan and the other bartender (sorry, didn't get your name) were great. Even when a HUGE crowd descended all at once after the nooner they stepped it up.
I will make it a regular stop whenever possible. There is still some transition goin' on but I hope you guys give 'em a chance. They treated us well and deserve our support.

I'll second that Jim. We went last night about 8 and sat in the bar with BTD Jeff and Jonpaul...final count was 2 Mai-Tais, a Navy Grog (thanks for the suggestion Jeff), and a nice cross sampling of the appetizers. It is really hard to judge a place based on a night when there is a huge event going on, you really have to check it out on a normal night. I'm going to make an effort to get out there at least a couple of Monday nights a month..especially since now happy hour prices are in effect all night Monday and Tuesdays!

Cool dat guys...
thanks for saying that.

and good to see both of ya there.
on sun. and mon.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

+1 on what was said.

My wife and I finally made it last Sat. (almost 2 weeks ago) and loved it!

Not much has changed but the drinks were amazing! Better than ever (and I use to work at Sam's and visited Kona too many times)!!!

Keep it up Don the Beachcomber Crew!!!

I couldn't agree more.

In the crazed madness of the "After-Nooner" at Don the Beachcomber's on Sunday, the entire restaurant and bar crew sucked it up and kicked ass. Ryan made me three awesome drinks with great care and attention to detail and the food service was quick and friendly, even as the guests continued to pour in.

Do these people look happy??

I'll be back.

DC

CJ

Does anyone know the list of new drinks they are serving? I heard mention of 10+ plus.

Confirmed so far
-Zombie
-Vicious Virgin
-Mai Tai
-Cherry Blossom
-Navy Grog

Coco Joe wrote:
Does anyone know the list of new drinks they are serving? I heard mention of 10+ plus.

Confirmed so far
-Zombie
-Vicious Virgin
-Mai Tai
-Cherry Blossom
-Navy Grog

They still serve super delicious Lapu Lapu's!

2 nights at Don's last weekend and both nights the drinks were delicious and the service was excellent! I had a few Mai Tais, a Zombie and a couple of Navy Grogs...no complaints about any of them.

Also, Don's has the best deals on happy hour food. Many choices for $2.95, $3.95 or $4.95...the Ahi Tacos are excellent!

Looking forward to my next visit.

G

I also went to Don's after the nooner and I must say that they busted their butts to give me good service. They are really trying hard to make a name for themselves.

I had the Voodoo Hurricane and it was excellent.
The Spam rolls were delish as well.

My only disappointment was that they had no Don's signature mugs to purchase with my drink.
They had a few Tiki Farm mugs, but I wanted an exclusive Don's mug and it is still not available.
I know Tiki Farm is currently working on a Don's mug so I will have to wait.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, May 7, 2009 4:40 PM

On 2009-05-07 09:04, geedavee wrote:

My only disappointment was that they had no Don's signature mugs to purchase with my drink.
They had a few Tiki Farm mugs, but I wanted an exclusive Don's mug and it is still not available.
I know Tiki Farm is currently working on a Don's mug so I will have to wait.

Ryan told me end of June.
Yes the drinks, service, decor and atmosphere are all top notch. I hope to be back as often as possible and will recommend this place to any and everybody who plans to be in/around or just passing through Orange County.
Good post Jim as Don's deserves the acclaim...

MB

Really good to hear...maybe third time is the charm.

Aloha!

R

it looks like dougs wife is flippin us off!!!

Gotta say thumbs up to all the reviews here...

We also swung by after the Nooner last Sunday night and the drinks were very good!

I had a Zombie and a Mai Tai.

The live music was a bit much, but those guys have to make a living too I guess.

I enjoyed when they played "Margaritaville...." and everyone howled like wolves. :wink:

I'll be back for a visit again in August, and look forward to checking out all the new work being done!

T

I swung down there last night after work with a friend. She's not a hardcore tiki fanatic, but she knows her way around a tiki bar. We had an amazing time and closed the bar. The cocktails are a work of art. Ryan, who I finally met, truly has a passion for the cocktails and really takes care of and shares with those that value that passion. I'm definitely making it a part of my regular escapism schedule.

My friend never liked Mai Tais, but really liked his 1930's Don's Mai Tai. "This is the first Mai Tai I've actually liked!" I had, among others, his Navy Grog that knocked my socks off. I could keep going on and on... but I have some small amount of dignity to not appear to be a drooling fanboy. (not much, but some...)

bump,
some great reviews above
and the new website

http://www.donthebeachcomber.com/

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-09-22 11:21 ]

If you're going to bump it... I should probably update my review.

Um... still awesome.

Everyone I have brought there has become an instant fan of the place. Said friend, noted above, is addicted to the Navy Grogs. We were just there this weekend, as fate would have it, listening to the Glasgow Tiki Shakers. Had a great time, especially when some TC folks wandered in. What can I say about the drinks and bar manager??!! Both are awesome and both took good care of me. :wink: My only complaint is I don't live closer... though that's probably a good thing.

Um..nice tiki?!?

How about that Don the Beachcomber, eh?

yeah cool, tiki,
good job on the bump for Dons.

Jeff(btd)

K

My wife and I and some friends were at Don's for Chinese New Year/Valentine's Day, but were there just for drinks and appetizers. Everything was delicious... the bartenders and wait staff were very friendly, and after revealing how much we love and appreciate Tiki, we were given piles of Don's paraphenalia.

Later in the night, my buddy discovered that there seemed to be a 'private' dinner in the back dining hall, and that there was a Chinese acrobatics show going on. The wait staff noticed our interest, and encouraged us to hang out and watch, even though we hadn't done the special dinner for Chinese New Year that they were offering.

I can't WAIT to head back. I've been to all the current 'majors' in California, and this one is my favorite... and I've only been once.

On 2010-05-14 01:10, Sunset Mike wrote:

Is this the tiki that was being carved in the parking lot perhaps?

No, I did that one a while back.

It was total old fashioned method. No electric whatever. I'm proud of that!

I'm working on another and will have some more time over the summer now that the Spring Semester is done. Ugh!

If you come by, say Hi! Sunset Mike

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-05-27 22:33 ]

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-05-27 22:36 ]

U-U (Yoo-Yoo) Now at home in Seal Beach, Main Street Wine Cellar.

They Love Him!

the Pig Noses Rock!!!! ( lol :wink:

Snort, Grunt!

Rockin pig Noses, no drips!

Thanks for the compliments, visit me in the Parking lot!

Keep the Faith

[ Edited by: Sunset Mike 2010-06-09 00:14 ]

Don's has this great drink that is not on the menu, if you real like rum
order a "i'ouve Noha deik" if you say it right, you will get a real treat!

On 2010-06-09 00:52, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Sounds kinky...

On 2010-06-10 17:23, kahalakruzer wrote:

On 2010-06-09 00:52, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

Sounds kinky...

Lance is just trying to get you to go up to the bar and say "I love d**k"....don't fall for it!

Hey Hey! Jason even bartenders need a little fun sometimes!
And until I see you at Don's next time,Sir!
I bid you Good Day! I said Good Day, Sir!

Sittin with his buddies in the back,
Epoxy resin coated and fears not rain

Pages: 1 31 replies