Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Cap'n Pharaoh- Severed heads & Serpents from the great abyss! Pg5

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

I'll measure it next time I'm down there.
it's pretty awesome carving right on the beach ....although I never know if it will be there next time I go down there. I keep thinking that some kids will end up burning in a bonfire , or it will end up being taken out to sea.
Thats part of the fun....once I'm done i'll try propping it up.

thats awsome brah!! hope you get to carve the whole damn thing!! lol! cheerz!!

Thats going to make a good story, ALREADY HAS! What a life, I am Jealous.

B

Cool Carve Cap'n, Hopefully you will return enough times to finish it.
It will be interesting to watch the progress of your skill set too, just keep the chisels sharp as that wood is imbeded with sand'n salt, both very rough on a sharp edge!
One may think these were the souls you had "Walk the Plank". :o

HAHa Ben, thanks for the heads up ....I found out very quickly that I need to bring my sharpening stone with me to the beach .

in other news I recently sold one of my carvings and While I will miss it ....the picture of the dude in his new home underneath an amazing mango tree helps with my post partum depression.

Any progress with the log on the beach?

S

Cool.

Sadly....just as I predicted my summer dreaming tiki was burned by ugly tourists.....
this is the last picture I have of the carving....I did manage to carve " ALOHA Toowoon Bay" into the headress.
but when I arrived on the beach a few days ago...the log was cut into four pieces with the tiki portion completely burned... That must of been some bonfire..

next time I think I'll Leave carvings of Crosses on the beach or perhaps crescents....

may the gods of Hell fire devour their souls!!!!!!

On a positive note I have been working on another carving ...I call this guy Vendetta.....

AAAAHHHHH MANNN! I was hoping to see that beach log finished one day, Stupid Tourist. Your new piece is looking good, keep up the good work and good stories.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2010-01-16 07:12 ]

that sucks about the log!!!!! damn idiots!!! and a great start on vendetta!!!
cheerz!!!!

B

Too bad about the log, seems there is Always at least 1 bastard in the crowd hey?
The Appropriate Vendetta is looking good too!

I look at it this way....if I was stranded on the beach too I'd probably burn what ever was available....but un knowingly evoking Vendetta from the spirit world , my life would never return to normal....
vendetta...he's pissed off with a vengance!!!!!
exchanging wood chips for blood , this is one angry log.!

they burned my BROTHER!!!!!!!!

Burning a tiki is a sacrilege in my eyes, but that's just me.

I wouldn't invoke an 'aumakua for vindictive reasons though. That stuff comes back to bite one in the rear end (witnessed it happen). Trust me, these folks will get theirs all on their own.

But the new tiki DOES look awesome.

Aloha!

Marcus

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 19, 2010 5:53 PM

Sucks about the burning, but leaving a tiki carving on the beach has little chance of ending well... I know if I found an 'abandoned' tiki on the beach Id be keen to make sure he got a nice home! :lol:

New carve is coming along nice :D

ALOHA AND AHOY
HERE is a small carving I've been working on for sometime. I carved it from a small piece of Breadfruit wood that I brought back from a trip to da big island Hawaii. It's based on a tiki that has been in my family for about 15 years now.

It's going to be on display at a small tiki art exhibit at Totoros teahouse on hunter street in Newcastle Australia through february for any one in the area.
here is a link to their website

http://totoroteahouse.wordpress.com/

for those interested in carving breadfruit it is an awesome wood but very soft ....use extra extra sharp chisels!!!!! and go slow

OK Cap'n, nice tiki but ya fooled me. I thought you were carving breadFRUIT, like some sort of weird tropical jack o'lantern :lol:

HAHAH Mad Dog I think your on to something.......I just wish that breadfruit grew this far south in Australia.

Thats awesome!

ALoha and Ahoy,
well it's been a little while since I've sailed in and dumped some new creations upon these shores.....however the last art swap definitely got me severely in the mood for shrunken heads, now I can't seem to stop chopping...here is a pic of two I recently hacked out.

and as a side note ...my wife (tiki Diva Love) while out beachcombing this afternoon brought home a 38 cm weedy Sea Dragon....Awesome! It was already deceased...yer a bastard if ya take one alive!
, which I have promptly started to preserve it...but not after I took appropriate measurements and submitted the results to DRAGON SEARCH http://www.reefwatch.asn.au/dsIntroduction.html

Who said there was no such thing as dragons?

Wow, that dragon is pretty cool! Are you planning to turn it into art?

Love those carved shrunken heads, especially the first one pictured.
Props on keeping them rough and not sanding them all smooth.
Is there anything under those hair/cap coconut pieces, like brains?

4wD - I am going to mount the sea dragon on a little display stand ...not sure about incorporating it into something else..it's just cool on it's own.

I'm Glad you like the roughness I like to see chisel marks , and to be perfectly honest , while I sometimes use powertools, I don't like using them. I think it takes away from why I carve stuff, and I always end up taking off bits I don't want to . whenever I do use a chainsaw it is just to get the bulk of the item down , to save my hands from further bone spurs. Most of the stuff I do has been with two or three different chisels and my trusty mallet "captain cooked"! could explain why everything I do looks so rough.

These heads were carved with a chisel , I used a wood burner on the highlights and a dremel just to drill out the holes where the lip laces and the nose bones go.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies