Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Pepsi Throwback

Pages: 1 2 74 replies

I recently tried the Throwback and was disappointed, it has a rather flat, watered-down taste. Avoid Pepsi "Natural" unless carbonated prune juice is yr. thang. I'm sticking to Mexican Coke for my Cuba Libres.

Here in Texas, you can not only get Coca-Cola from Mexico (like previously mentioned), but also Dr. Pepper made with pure cane sugar as well. I'm only mentioning this because I have an opinion that I hope you all will listen to. You can get the "Dublin" Dr. Pepper (from Dublin TX) in can or in glass or plastic bottle. The can is tolerable, but the plastic bottle is disgusting. I don't know if it's because it's the plastic, or how it's bottled, but it tastes "off". The glass bottle is the best way to go IMO. For a while you could buy a "tall boy" (16oz.) of DP, but it only came in a can and I haven't seen it in a few years. Dublin DP in a can is pretty decent, I don't know if there is a special lining (like Keystone beer promotes) or if it's more tolerable.

Now there are great news for out of state people. You can order cases of the Dublin Dr. Pepper straight from the bottling company. The funny thing is that this Dr. Pepper isn't brewed in Dublin, but in Plano where the high fructose Dr. Pepper is brewed.

Here's the site: http://www.dublindrpepper.com/

So that might explain why the plastic bottle "Throwback" Pepsi tastes "off". Bottom line for me is that when I make drinks at home that involve cola, I try my best to use cane sugar based colas. In my opinion it adds to the flavor of the drink.

On 2010-01-17 14:13, bigtikidude wrote:

off topic,
a friend of my dads back in the 80s lived real close to a tomato caning plant in Fullerton, I thought I liked tomatoes, but the smell of them cooking was very pungent, and nauseating in large quantities like that.

Does anyone remember that smell when you passed by the Nabisco plant and Japanese Dear park off of Hwy. 5?

(I need to get a life)

On 2010-01-16 13:12, MadDogMike wrote:
It's back!

YISSS!!!

TUVM!!!!!

I live in So Cal -OC area and have been to six different places and still can not find this
Pepsi throw back.Any suggestions.I want it to try mixing drinks with.

TT

I got a 12 pack of Pepsi Throwback at Walmart. I've seen it (and the Dr. Pepper Throwback) at Safeway. Hope you find some!!

:drink:
Tacky

H

According to http://www.pepsithrowbackhub.com/ , it came, and it went.

Gone as of February 22. However there might be a few left on the store shelves. Better hurry though.

Thanks guys.Yes Walmart was my first trip, then Ralphs, Vons and Stater Bros.I will
keep looking.Good thing I have Hi Time liquor close bye, they sell the Mexican Coke
made with real pure cane sugar.

we got a couple 12 packs at Costco, and now they are gone.

somebody was saying the reason that they do it at that time of year is for
Passover, as its not Kosher to use corn sugar syrup.

Jeff(btd)

On 2010-03-07 19:06, bigtikidude wrote:
we got a couple 12 packs at Costco, and now they are gone.

somebody was saying the reason that they do it at that time of year is for
Passover, as its not Kosher to use corn sugar syrup.

Jeff(btd)

Hmmm? Passover isn't for a few weeks, they wouldn't stop selling it in Feb if it was for passover?

show's you what I know about Jewish holidays,
was there one at that time of year?

Jeff(btd)

M

On 2010-01-21 12:17, Unga Bunga wrote:

On 2010-01-17 14:13, bigtikidude wrote:

off topic,
a friend of my dads back in the 80s lived real close to a tomato caning plant in Fullerton, I thought I liked tomatoes, but the smell of them cooking was very pungent, and nauseating in large quantities like that.

Does anyone remember that smell when you passed by the Nabisco plant and Japanese Dear park off of Hwy. 5?

(I need to get a life)

Yeah, Knott st./Beach blvd. exit. That was our exit -- I used to live down Knott, right near Lincoln/Knott.

TT

Mexican Coke in the bottles is back at Costco in the Sacramento area. Keep your eyes peeled!

Tacky

RB

Mexican Coke also back in Oregon Costcos too...YAY!

I don't know if the rest of the country has a Mexican market but Napa is rotten with them. Thank Jesus. I think that he owns one too. That's where I get my limes too. Definitely cheaper than the other stores.

Why don't they make a Diet Pepsi Throwback with real Sodium Cyclamate? :D

Just got some Throwback Pepsi and Dr. Pepper at Walmart in Mountain View. The Dr. Pepper was a little flat tasting but still better than the regular stuff (Dublin Dr. is still the best). Passed on the Heritage Mountain Dew.

I hadn't realized that there was Throwback Dr. Pepper. When I was growing up, Dr. Pepper was my favorite. For a long time we could only get it when we went on road trips to visit relatives in Texas. Then later we started getting it in stores in Connecticut. Then it fell into the same abyss that Coke started and real Dr. Pepper was no more. It went from greatness to the low end of mediocrity overnight.

I've tried Pepsi Throwback and did not notice any appreciable difference between it and regular Pepsi. Of course, growing up preferring Coke to Pepsi, I couldn't tell if it in any way captured some of its original essence, but it didn't seem like it to me. That worries me about Throwback Dr. Pepper. I seriously doubt that it would bear much resemblance to the 10-2-and-4 I used to drink on my back porch in the late 50s and early 60s. But I definitely look forward to trying it and finding out.

A

On 2010-06-14 09:14, The Gnomon wrote:
I hadn't realized that there was Throwback Dr. Pepper. When I was growing up, Dr. Pepper was my favorite. For a long time we could only get it when we went on road trips to visit relatives in Texas. Then later we started getting it in stores in Connecticut. Then it fell into the same abyss that Coke started and real Dr. Pepper was no more. It went from greatness to the low end of mediocrity overnight.

I've tried Pepsi Throwback and did not notice any appreciable difference between it and regular Pepsi. Of course, growing up preferring Coke to Pepsi, I couldn't tell if it in any way captured some of its original essence, but it didn't seem like it to me. That worries me about Throwback Dr. Pepper. I seriously doubt that it would bear much resemblance to the 10-2-and-4 I used to drink on my back porch in the late 50s and early 60s. But I definitely look forward to trying it and finding out.

You can find cane sugar Dr. Pepper here: http://www.straubs.com/product.html?id=332&catId=0

On 2010-06-14 16:09, arriano wrote:

You can find cane sugar Dr. Pepper here: http://www.straubs.com/product.html?id=332&catId=0

Hmmm! I've found that the sodas of the 60s that swapped out cane sugar for HFCS (beginning with Coke on down the line) altered a lot more than the sugar when they brought in the corn syrup. Now when I get Mexican Coke with cane sugar, it still does not taste like the Coke of the 60s, which IMO was when it reached its pinnacle of quality. Mexican Coke with cane sugar tastes better than US Coke with HFCS, but nothing else in the formula was done to maintain the original flavor, so it still doesn't taste like the "Pause that Refreshes" but rather like "the Real Thing," which we all know is fake.

OTOH, in the 70s, sometime after Coke had lost its cane sugar, on a refueling stop in Panamá, I bought a Coke out of a vending machine in the airport only to find that it was original Coke! Apparently, the foreign Coke companies were not controlled by the US parent Coke company and they chose to keep things the same as before. They did not need to save money by cutting out sugar. They grew lots more sugar than they did corn. I have not been back to Panamá since, but I can tell that the Mexican Coke I get now still does not taste anything like 60s Coke.

But, arriano, it looks like you might be onto something there at Straubs. It seems hopeful and definitely worth checking out. Thanks for the link.

Turns out my uncle is growing 30 acres of Pepsi Throwback right down the road from me.

Well, that sugarcane is actually destined to become 30,000 gallons of ethanol :lol:

I found "Special Import" made in Mexico Pepsi with real sugar at my local WalMart today so I bought a couple of bottles and did a blind taste taste. I didn't have any trouble telling them apart, I liked the regular HFCS Pepsi better - probably because that's what I'm used to drinking :D

MN

How does the Mexican pepsi compare to the throwback?

The Mex version is probably more healthful than the HFCS version anyway.

I still have some "thowback" Mountain Dew and it is great.I hope I can hold out 'till it comes out again.

J

As an FYI, a certain friend of mine whose connection w. Coca Cola Co. shall remain unmentioned noted that there are slight variations in the formula, depending on the country where the stuff is bottled.

The reason for HFCS to have supplanted sugar is simply cost...the USA does not grow ANYWHERE near the sugar that would be needed, and imported sugar has a very, very high import duty...which makes HFCS made from subsidized corn a far cheaper alternative.

It gets pretty politcs-heavey from that point, so I'll just leave it at that.

-J.

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2010-11-09 09:22 ]

My 15 month old grandson Goobie has already developed a taste for the finer things in life :lol:

No, we don't actually let him drink carbonated beverages

I was in my local Costco Wholesale Club yesterday and they had cases of Pepsi Throwback stacked to the roof. Is it back for good?

J

Keep in mind that Passover will be here soon, and so will Kosher-For-Passover sodas that are sweetened with cane sugar and not (blech) HFCS. The cost will be the same as "regular" Coke, etc. which is a price break from the imported Mexican stuff. However, the only way to tell is by a different color cap.

Pages: 1 2 74 replies