Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Marc Davis exhibit at Forest Lawn Glendale

Pages: 1 5 replies

It's always a joy to go up to the Forest Lawn Museum. Thursday was the opening of a nice show on the work of Marc Davis, one of Disney's original "nine old men".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney's_Nine_Old_Men

Marc designed not only most of the Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion rides, but also the interior of the Enchanted Tiki Room (while Rolly Crump designed the outside Tikis)

There are no sketches from the Tiki Room at the show, but his fine art is pure eye candy:

The one below is my personal favorite:

"Queequeg pursuing Moby Dick", 1957

It is available as a gyclee, but a whopping 1200.- bucks is a little too high for an unsigned (Marc died in 2000) print, in my humble opinion. But it is nice if it will benefit his wife Alice, who lent the pieces, and who was in attendance.

Here is some history on Marc and Alice:

Marc became an avid collector of Papua New Guinea art and they travelled to New Guinea several times.
Here is a story how his wife began working for Disney, designing the costumes for "It's a Small World":

They ate out a lot, and Marc painted this painting for one of his favorite restaurants, Alfonse's in Toluca Lake:

The four graces each carry a cocktail served at the restaurant.

Below is the link for opening times and duration:
http://www.forestlawn.com/Special-Events-And-Facilities/Event-Detail.asp?EventID=147

TS

I'm a big fan of Marc's work, especially his conceptual art. I wish I would have known about the opening ceremony! This show is on my todo list!

WOW! What gorgeous work!

I've been an admirer of Marc's for years and it's indeed a joy to see even these few images, Bigbro!

I must endeavor to get up to the museum for sure!

My Dad having been a fine artist himself -- mostly portraits, nudes and landscapes in oil and pastel -- I'm all OVER this! That jungle piece is gorgeous and I agree with you about the Moby Dick piece -- BRILLIANT. (And PRICEY!)

Thanks for bringing attention to this, Sven -- don't know if I'd have heard about it otherwise.

I find the work of Mark Davis very fascinating.How brilliant was this man to
do most of the design work for Pirates of the Carribean ride, Haunted mansion and
the interior of the Enchanted Tiki Room.Every time I go to the tiki room it
brings back fond memories of my parents taking me there when I was a kid.
Remember the " E " tickets .

I'm heading out there this Saturday.....Because aside from Tiki I'm a big Disney dork and Marc Davis is an f---ing god in Disney circles

TS

Closes this coming Sunday(7/26/09).

Pages: 1 5 replies