Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

New Tiki Towels @ Cost Plus World Market

Pages: 1 25 replies

Get ready for Summmer! I saw these towels for sale at Cost Plus/World Market yesterday for $16.99. They aren't the super thick, plush towels, but, its still a decent weight. I bought one!

http://www.worldmarket.com/Mr-Tiki-Beach-Towels/lev/4/productId/10301/Ntt/tiki%20towel/Ntx/mode+matchallpartial/Ntk/Def/N/0/Nty/1/Ssr/Y/index.pro

M

Thanks for the tip! I just ordered some.

Well if it ain't our good friend the Seattle Kalua Room menu Tiki!:

...with a more elaborate cocktail, and added top and bottom parts to cover the vertical towel format.
I love it, I'm gonna git me one!

K

They had the same design on small cocktail napkins the last time I was in a few weeks ago.

Darn! I didn't see the cocktail napkins!

K

I'll have to take a pic. I think they were on closeout when I was there. Grabbed a quick couple of packs along with the mugs that were on sale.

Weeelll...?

The towel is indeed nice and big:

....and most closely resembles the original menu cover in Tiki Modern.
They did not only have napkins, but also plates...yet not on close out: 3.99 for 8 paper plates makes it 50 cents a plate. In fact, ALL the prices at World Market seemed to have been unfazed by the economic slump, definitely more boutique level than import store.

And design-wise, for the plate and napkins they veered of the proven "3/4 Tiki on the side" composition, so they had to invent the other arm, which really doesn't fit with the original one. Tikis don't have pointy elbows like that. An those kinda hands...

They also flipped the image, and together with the added top and bottom parts, and the patterns on the side, this Tiki now looks more like a Roman column, plus with those sleepy eyes (from the original) he always reminded me more of a Frog, so forthwith I will lovingly call him the "Roman Frog Tiki"! :)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-05-12 19:39 ]

PI

They also have tiki towels at Costco right now.

Pics Tikicupcake ??

I've got to get those towels, plates and napkins to stock the "Mo-Tiki" motorhome for the summer!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=26479&forum=1&start=15&hilite=trailer

DC

I will try to take a picture of the towels at Costco later today.

Cost Plus only has the aqua towels on-line for $9.99. They are sold out in the other color. If you go into the stores, they still have both colors, but they aren't on sale. They are still 16.99 in the stores. They still have the plates and napkins in the stores, too. They also have some tiki candles that are not on the website right now.

J

When I bought my tiki towel at World Market (Cost Plus) a couple weeks ago, they only had the blue one, and it was only $9.99. I didn't see the plates and napkins in my store (in Oakland).

That's weird about the towels. They were still $16.99 when I went into the store yesterday. However, that store does have the plates and napkins. It's on my way home from work so I am going to be stopping in to watch for when they go down in price.

In todays ad (6/14/09) Tiki Bar with palm leaf roof

Cost PlusWorld Market Tiki Bars

W

("I wonder where Cost Plus ever found a picture of the Kalua Room tiki?" he thinks to himself as he glances at his book case.)

The choice of the Kalua Room tiki is pretty amazing especially when compared to the tiki on the wall behind the guy in today's Sunday paper insert.

I love to think some designer wanted the Kalua tiki on some towels and sold Cost Plus on the design.

The main thing I've always liked about the Kalua Room tiki is that he's holding a drink and his eyes make him look like it's not his first of the evening.

In his 1957 book Be My Guest in the Pacific Northwest Bill Speidel wrote of this very tiki:

"In case you've never seen a Tiki, take a look at your Kalua dinner menu- although I doubt if the South Sea Islanders did their carvings of Gods with "glass in hand"..."

Here's a picture of the towel I picked up at Costco.

Excellent!

Just went there today. All of the beach towels were 50% off. Nice towels for $8.50.

I am sorry, but even though I have two of his early girl mugs (because they are fine work) the pure sight of the Tommy Bahama name makes me shudder. I can take Target and Costco brands because they don't even try to be cool, but T. B.'s ? It's just too mall-brand-ey, or Disney store-ey, or I don't know what, to me.

Just to clarify, the World Market towels are on sale.

They are on sale on-line and in some stores. I went to my store in Portland, OR and they are still not on sale. I don't get it. However, I got some off line. I did pick up some Trader Vic's Mai Tai mix when I was at Cost Plus, yesterday. I would never use it to make Mai Tais, but there are some recipes in Beachbum Barry's books that call for the mix and I would like to try them.

TikiJ got a bunch of the plates and knapkins for my birthday luau last weekend but didn't mention the towels. Maybe the Fairfax, VA World Market didn't carry them?

K
KeithH posted on Mon, Jul 6, 2009 8:31 PM

Did you guys see the tiki citronella candles? The NW Portland store had one when you first walked in the door (now gone) and I had to hunt for others. They had two different sizes (I took two of each size home along with the towels). I did leave some behind for others to take home.

Yes, I did see the candles. I thought they were a bit pricey and have been waiting for them to get marked down.

J

I saw the candles, and picked up two of the smaller ones for our Oasis balcony.

Pages: 1 25 replies