Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Basics and questions

Pages: 1 5 replies

Aloha!
I have been reading around this section getting ideas of tools to use to carve and some design ideas. However, I searched around, and I can't seem to find answers to some questions I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• What's a good way to keep wood from drying up and splitting once I've started carving a tiki that will take more than a day or two?

• Are the regular chisels you can get at menards with one side at angled okay to carve with? Or should I grind the tip to something else?

• What is a generally good type of finish to put on a tiki? I was thinking stain under polyurethane, but I was wondering if there's a more durable finishing soloution.

I still have a while since I'm still trying to get some wood (heh) and nobody is having a tree removed right now. Once again, any advice is greatly appreciated.

-LT

Aloha - I hope I can help you with some info from my experience

Wood drying out can be avoided by applying laquer to both ends of the log = this seems to slow down the drying out process. I know some old guys dip their wood in wax.

One sided angled chisels is what you want to start off with - then start getting creative with "half Moon" shaped chisels. I still use the first one sided chisel on my work and only paid $15.00 new.

To stain and gloss I use one that is satin finish laquer,it has the colour stain mixed in it - you can get different finishes , jarra, or walnut etc.

Have you contacted your local tip/dump/refuge? I dont know what you guys call it but where your rubbish goes. Often you can find heaps off cuts there. People forget that this is a good place for getting logs.

Best of luck with your carving and let me know if I can help you out anymore.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, May 16, 2009 4:42 PM

"Wood drying out can be avoided by applying laquer to both ends of the log = this seems to slow down the drying out process."

IT DOES????

Ahoy Marcus,
Have you ever lacquered sealed, fresh palm woods, Just wondering since there is so much moisture in those scallywags, would they be prone to rot?

T

I ran an ad on craigs list for palm logs and boy did I get them 16 8' x 18'' for free and cleaned ready to go. Try that

Mahalo Marcus and Tikibad!

Marcus: I'll definitley try the lacquer on both ends. And I actually (literally) stumbled upon some logs today. I was walking my dog in the forest, and there was the city tree removal taking out some Dutch Elms. I took a few to practice on. I don't expect them to turn out very good since it's my first try.

Tikibad: I never even though of that. Great idea! However, I'm afraid to advertise that "I need wood" in Chicago, but I'll give it a shot. Who knows, maybe I can get some interesting wood out of it.

Once again, mahalo!
-LT

Pages: 1 5 replies