Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki bar top

Pages: 1 1 replies

Recently I completed my tiki bar in my backyard.The only thing that is unfinished is the bar top.It has a sanded wood top with a Manila rope border.I'm at a lost of what to do to the top.I don't want to put glass because most likely it will eventually crack.And plexiglas will scratch in time.I would like to put some of that thick clear coat.But where do you get that stuff from?There's a product called GlazeCoat at HomeDepot that promises to do the job.I've got a lot of different opinions but I want to do the right thing.The bar top is approximately 2 1/2ft. wide by 12ft. in length.I will not put any pictures in the top but I may paint a design on it.I welcome any suggestions.Please reply here or email:[email protected]

G

I would say you can use the pourable coating, but with a bar that size, it could get pricey.
Keep in mind that I am cheap and I try to use recycled materials.

Some people use laminated wood flooring which you could probably find scrap pieces left over from a job. Call a flooring place and ask.

Another idea is do a mosaic of broken tiles. It is a little bumpy, but you can do some great designs. Tile places probably toss tons of this stuff.

You can also do multiple coats of shellac, then multiple coats of polyurethane.

Also a post like this should probably be in the "Other Crafts" section rather than "Tiki carving" unless you are doing a Witco design.

Pages: 1 1 replies