Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

The book of Exotica/Creepy Creeps

Pages: 1 6 replies

I was hoping for some help with a couple of things.

Jeff Chenault's Tiki Magazine bio states that he has a book project entiled 'The Book Of Exotica'. I cannot seem to find any information on this book here or else where on the web. Is it out? Is it in print? Where can I get it?

Also I cannot locate Creepy Creeps cd's anywhere. Have they released any so far?

Thanks in advance for you help. I hope that these are not repeated questions - I did search.

the Creepy Creeps have 2 albums/cds for sale.
I say buy both.
vinyl for home, cd for car.

try contacting them on myspace.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2009-05-16 16:47 ]

Ahh, thank you. I will do that.

On 2009-05-16 15:15, indigo orb wrote:
I was hoping for some help with a couple of things.

Jeff Chenault's Tiki Magazine bio states that he has a book project entiled 'The Book Of Exotica'. I cannot seem to find any information on this book here or else where on the web. Is it out? Is it in print? Where can I get it?

Also I cannot locate Creepy Creeps cd's anywhere. Have they released any so far?

Thanks in advance for you help. I hope that these are not repeated questions - I did search.

Greetings indigo orb,

The Book of Exotica has been a project of mine for the last 5 years and highlights my 25 years of Exotica research. Unfortunately, not a lot of publishers share my enthusiasm or ideas on what this book should be. I am rethinking the whole publishing process and am weighing out my options.

Like the DVD of Tiki, I will not release this until its time, even if I have to finance it myself.

Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

In the meantime, look for a new and improved website later this year showcasing a lot of my writing from various publications.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Many thanks for this information Jeff.
Your book sounds so good. If there is a lack of publisher is it possible to go down the P.O.D. route?
Any way I wish you well with this, and look forward to reading it someday (hopefully soon).

Richard

On 2009-05-18 03:42, Jeff Central wrote:

The Book of Exotica has been a project of mine for the last 5 years and highlights my 25 years of Exotica research. Unfortunately, not a lot of publishers share my enthusiasm or ideas on what this book should be. I am rethinking the whole publishing process and am weighing out my options.

Like the DVD of Tiki, I will not release this until its time, even if I have to finance it myself.

Trust me, it will be worth the wait.

In the meantime, look for a new and improved website later this year showcasing a lot of my writing from various publications.

Thanks for the interest.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Jeff, I would highly recommend going the do-it-yourself publishing route, should you not find a reasonable publisher's interest.

I wrote my first and only book, The Fantastic Worlds Of Grenadier (a history of American company Grenadier Models that manufactured lead -- and later, Pewter -- miniatures for historical, fantasy, and Sci-Fi wargames and role-playing games, from the mid-1970s to the mid-1990s), and went that route. Though the book was (and still is) the first of its kind, I knew the topic of my book would only appeal to a niche crowd, so didn't even approach a publisher. I did everything myself -- research, writing and typing, image scanning, layout, etc., even put up the money to have it printed in two small runs. All this with absolutely no previous experience. I sold nearly all the books on eBay in less than six months. (Now I occasionally sell a copy on PDF on CD -- basically an eBook -- charging less than half the cost I would charge for the printed article.) My goal wasn't to print a huge amount of copies and make lots of money. I simply wanted to fulfill a goal and get the book out to people who'd appreciate it. But I did fairly well for such a small run and on a shoe-string budget. And why? No publisher. No distributor. No middlemen.

The key for self-publishing is to shop round, compare, and hopefuly find a good and competitively-priced printing company, get it printed in a small run, then know where to sell the book -- where to reach the niche audience that would be interested in buying the book. You'll know this far better than any publisher's distributor would. Once you sell out the first run and receive requests for another, then proceed.

I went with a company called Instant Publisher for the printing and was very pleased with the result. My book was a softcover with glossy pages and loads of colour images. The book came with a CD supplement full of B&W and colour images. The CD supplement helped keep the cost of the book down, while increasing its value to the purchaser, and, in a sense, making the book 43 pages longer.

Thanks DJ Terrence,

I've been leaning towards self-publishing.

Thank you very much for the valuable info and advice. It's nice to hear from people who have gone this route.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Pages: 1 6 replies