Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Looking to hire a carver (small project)

Pages: 1 7 replies

B

Aloha, been a while since I posted much but could use help from one of you carvers!

I am part of a Hula group who is looking to get some stamps made from wood in a couple designs and sizes so we can make authentic looking outfits for a large show in a couple months. We'd need to get going on this soon so there is time for making everything, so if you are available and interested please let me know. If this works out I would commission some more for future photography projects I have in the pipeline. The stamps would be fairly simple in design, in wood, not too soft since they will get a lot of use.

If you are available please send me a note: [email protected]

Mahalo!

B

Bumpin' this up for soon to be stuff

B

You got my attention! Let's see what you've got Ben!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 11:22 PM

I've never heard of making stamps out of wood for clothing purposes. I'm curious as to how this works. Depending on the size of these things, it might be something I can help with if Ben can't.

B

Aloha!

Let me add more of a background to this so you all can get a better idea of what I am up to... some of you know I am the guy behind HulaDance.com which is my project to help preserve Hula. I am not talking about what you typically see in a luau, which is usually a combination of many Polynesian dances, but the traditional hula taught by countless generations of Hawaiians.

What brings me to request carving help is that the ancients made clothing from the bark of trees and hand printed designs on them with plant dyes. Now in Hawaii the stamps were made using bamboo most of the time, but I figure as long as the designs are fairly traditional the end result will be the same.

So a couple of TC carvers are working on some stamps... which I will use to make reproductions of ancient hula outfits to be used in photo shoots this Summer!

There is a lot more to this, but that is an overview. Mahalo for the interest!

B

Here is one I am working on and is half finished. The wood is Very tough Brazilian Cherry which they use to make floors mas it is pretty much useless for anything else since it is SO HARD. Boy does it dull the tools.
Anyway I have started 2 blanks 16" long by 1" wide for 6 inches and the balance handle made smaller

When done I'll get some better shots and that will be right after Hukilau so Stay posted.

B

Woohoo, looking good Benz!

H
Heath posted on Mon, Feb 8, 2010 8:14 AM

Whatever became of the stamps?
I would love to see an update!

Pages: 1 7 replies