Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Concrete Sculpture known as 'Droopy Tiki'

Pages: 1 16 replies

C

For sale is a tiki from the world of what is known as 'urban archaeology' but lets call it Hawaiian archaeology. One just like this one is shown in Sven Kirsten's 'The Book of Tiki'(p. 228), where it resided in one of the many 'tiki cult' mobile home parks of southern California. This one was found just west of an area in Los Angeles known as Los Feliz. This tiki statue is cast concrete. All the detail of the tiki is on the front and the sides, so it appears that it was meant to be placed against a wall.
The color and condition of the tiki is 'as found', it is completely in tact. The photo in the book shows the tiki as all black in color, this one was most likely all black at one time in its existence but now the black is faded and there is an earthy color and hints of pink peeking through and the original color of the concrete peeks through as well.
It is always fun to find a piece of tiki history and it can now be part of your tiki garden and become a member of your collection.
The price is $250

I am listing this as an item for pickup however you can arrange for shipping.
I would be happy to help you calculate what the cost would be to ship the item to you!
It measures just under 4' high (47"), 13" at its widest point, and 9 1/2" at its deepest point and weighs 110 pounds.

[ Edited by: Content 2009-05-18 14:41 ]

Oh yes, she's a beaute! Nothing wrong with her that a can of black spray paint can't fix. Looks like she stood in water, as she is intended as a fountain. Is the water hole in her mouth plugged up?

In all my years of Tiki hunting I have only seen 3 of these: The one at the Kona Kai Mobile Home park, a white one (!?) at the Hale Hawaii Bar entrance, and the one I have now on my front porch:

An unmatched example of whacky Tiki whimsy! Watch out, she's a heavy mutha, dolly recommended.

Sooo...did anybody jump on the opportunity, or is 250.- bucks too much in these recession-ridden times?

That Tiki statue is very cool indeed!

...although who ever gets this guy and gives it a good home should leave him alone and not repaint it. I kinda like the original patina, it seems to add to its character. No offense big bro but put the spray paint away for a Big Lots style Tiki that needs a makeover! Ha ha... :)

No offense taken, cause everyone knows how much I like, and sometimes insist on, patina. But in this case, this babe looks simply too ratty for even my taste, like those blotches around the titties, nyeh! I for one believe its the reason that no one has picked her up yet, despite the fact that it is such a unique rarity. I like mine better. :)

C

On 2009-05-20 07:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
No offense taken, cause everyone knows how much I like, and sometimes insist on, patina. But in this case, this babe looks simply too ratty for even my taste, like those blotches around the titties, nyeh! I for one believe its the reason that no one has picked her up yet, despite the fact that it is such a unique rarity. I like mine better. :)

Hi fellow collectors. This message is from the person that listed the item.
As I wrote in a personal answer message that was not posted; the statue has no opening in the mouth to accommodate a fountain, but I suppose it could be drilled if that is what is wanted.
Also as you all know, patina is based on personal taste. Please don't trash the item by calling it 'ratty', and making the declaration that is the reason no one has picked her up yet! I decided not to change the way I found it originally because it worked in the environment I put it in. It can easily be painted by the new owner if they so desire.
Mahalo

T
TikiG posted on Wed, May 20, 2009 9:55 AM

I find this discussion amazingly interesting.

This item did not sell on eBay - and I believe it was offered more than once.

Is it the asking price that keeps people away?

I don't know. For me its the saggy grandma boobs / granny spitting face that makes me want to close the thread and move on - but on the other hand - makes me want to PM the seller and snap it up. Yin-Yang. The ugly duckling syndrome.

But the facts stand true. It is mid-century whimsy. It is from LA. What more could I want?

For me, bad timing. Too close to the end of the month and too close to Memorial Day weekend to spend the cash.

Ha ha! I am not trashing the item, I am singing its praise sky high and acknowledging its uniqueness!!! And if there wouldn't be a full page picture of it in my book (which you quote), there would be much less certainty as to its intrinsic value. You can take that to the bank.
You decided to leave the patina and put it on a public forum, you will have to accept people's honest opinion about its condition here. I am just offering a helpful suggestion as to WHY it has not sold so far, everybody who has looked at it has made up their mind if they prefer the patina or not anyway. And if they don't prefer it, my suggestion to easily remedy the situation with a can of matte black paint will maybe persuade them to look past the exterior of this beauty, and embrace its sculptural qualities. Which, by the way, lie to a large part in the drooping breasts, a feature which could have only flourished in such un-p.c. times as the Tiki period was. They are a Zeitgeist statement, but they just don't work with blotches, for me. Personally. In my subjective opinion. May I say that? :)

AND: As the wisdom goes: There is no BAD P.R.! All this discussion, fueled by my supportive posts, gave your posting more exposure and attention than it would have ever gotten, and if it's not selling after all that, the reasons for that lie beyond both our powers. :D

T

You said it BigBro!

I think it would sell a lot faster if he responded to his PM's(personal Messages) :)
I do agree with TikiG, it is a nice piece, but the droopy is unsettling ...lol

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-05-20 11:26 ]

Did this Tiki ever find a new home?

To me, this tiki has always looked like Alfred Hitchcock... !

Scored one of these guys at the swap meet yesterday! Is it the first time we've seen one in this paint before? Polypop and I were wondering if it is in fact the way that they were originally painted...
Excited to build a basin and hook up the fountain for it!

Oh and we also noticed that my statue's boobs are filled in below too. Kinda weird...
When I get home, I'm gonna investigate closer...

Great find!

S

I have seen one on Ebay off and on. No one ever bit though.

Pages: 1 16 replies