Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Old tiki on craigslist.

Pages: 1 7 replies

I wonder where this was originally from? The Tiki's in Elsinore? Sven?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/grd/1172121659.html

looks old, but homemade......it's history probably consists of sitting at the end of someones driveway with a chain connected to it acting as a gate...

This guy is pipe dreaming for $ 700 .Not that great of a carving.

I agree, with both posts: Home made, and too expensive. Though stylistically it is close to some of Eli Hedley's Tikis, but while it has the simplicity, it doesn't have that naive elegance. Here is an Eli Tiki at the Kamia Village in Anaheim:

...WITH anchor chain and giant anchor, no less. It is likely that that's what the chain hook on the Tiki is for. Back in Tiki's heyday anchor chains could be had for cheap at the nautical salvage yards in San Pedro, and many Poly pop places used them as railing between nautical pier pylons, such as are still seen at the Aloha Arms apartments in Pico Rivera:

On closer examination there are some unremovable chain remnants left at the stairs platform...

(which suggests that once water flowed underneath the whole walkway).

Xlnt post Sven- as always .
You can see a little more detail in the mouth and nose with Eli's tiki .

Bigbro,

Thanks for this one, it's always nice to see old Eli tikis.

DC

I'm sorry,just thinking out loud here. but aren't all tikis kinda 'home made'?
just a guy ,a hunk off wood ,a chain saw,or other tools,in the back yard or drive.

"Home made" refers to Tikis that look like they are done by individuals that have done two or three Tikis for their own backyard as a hobby project, and not 50, 60, or hundreds, like professional Tiki carvers that worked for developers and outfitted their restaurants and apartment complexes with carvings. Granted, not all carvers had their own shops, and also worked in their own yards, but the qualities of a professional carving done by someone who has done tons of Tikis are noticeably different from the look of a Tiki done by an occasional hobby carver. The above Tiki looks like it was done by the latter.

Pages: 1 7 replies