Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2nd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up Austin Aug. 1

Pages: 1 40 replies

K

TO RSVP*
Email me at [email protected] or via Paypal $20 per person suggested donation to [email protected]. Mahalo!

Aloha Texas Tikiphiles! Please save the date, August 1, 2009 for the 2nd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up to be held at the Enchanted Lagoon in Austin again this year. More info and entertainment announcements coming soon.

[ Edited by: koitiki 2014-08-17 22:29 ]

The date is SO saved!
We've been talking about this for months, worried it might end up on a date we couldn't make. Really looking forward to another great time in the Enchanted Lagoon, and to seeing what you've been up to, inside the house, too.

Awesome - I can't wait!

On 2009-05-18 22:19, Koitiki wrote:
"...More info and entertainment announcements coming soon."

Is it soon, yet?
Really looking forward - last year was great.

K

Good timing Limbo! I just worked some things out yesterday and I’m excited to finally be able to announce our killer lineup for the 2nd Annual Texas Tiki Round-up.

Please join us once again at the Enchanted Lagoon (my place) for a magical evening of Tikified Hill Country Texas fun, this year featuring the relaxing Hapa Haole sounds of Combo Mahalo and the surf rocking sounds of Los Super Avengers.

http://www.myspace.com/combomahalo
Combo Mahalo played Hukilau in ’06 and locally have played the likes of the Continental Club. They will make you want to sip a tasty cocktail under the Texas sunset.

http://www.myspace.com/lossuperavengers
Los Super Avengers hail from CA and found their way here. Locally they have played the likes of Headhunter’s and will make you want to dance!

Share a drink with us in our new tiki room and help me think of a name for it. If your tiki room name is selected, you will win a prize. You can also win prizes by simply showing up and putting your name in the prize drawing coconuts. Check out the link to last year’s Round-up to see photos of the awesome prizes we gave away, including original paintings by local tiki artist Crash and Dallas tiki artist SwampCreature.

Last year's thread:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26040&forum=4&start=30

A few progress shots of the tiki room:

Bring your vintage, or brand spankin’ new swimsuits and take a dip in the lagoon if you feel so inclined.

Like last year, if you want to bring a food or drink item to share that would be awesome, but is not required. To help cover the costs of the bands, we are asking for a donation of $10/person. I'll post PayPal info soon.

Party will start Sat. August 1st at 7:30pm and go until ?

On Sunday we’ll gather for a hangover cure lunch at the world famous Salt Lick BBQ, which is “jes down the road apiece” from the Enchanted Lagoon. This place has been written up in many publications as being one of the best BBQ joints in Texas. It's authentically rustic structure and setting is about 10 minutes from my place. The sauce is unique, and the huge open pit is a thing to behold. Time of lunch TBA, but I’m guessing around noon. It’s BYOB and they only take cash.

http://www.saltlickbbq.com/

At Hukilau, I spoke to some out-of-state folks that are hoping to attend, and I look forward to seeing you. The link to last year’s party has hotel info. Those that are planning on making a long weekend here will find plenty to do with Barton Springs, Lakes Austin and Travis, SoCo vintage shopping district, and hell, we ARE known as The Live Music Capitol of the World. I can make further recommendations if needed.

Address will be posted closer to date of party.

Can't wait! Aloha for now-
Julie

[ Edited by: koitiki 2012-09-04 16:39 ]

So this looks way fun - I plan on attending and will be bringing 2 guests as well!

K

On 2009-06-26 08:09, TxTikiGirl wrote:
So this looks way fun - I plan on attending and will be bringing 2 guests as well!

Cool! More the merrier! More to turn into our tiki minions...mwahaha.

K

Yay! Less than a month away! Drink selection is coming along swimmingly, although some further research might be required...

I'm getting some RSVP's on my home email. Who else is in?

Paypal is set up if you don't want to think about it that night. Just log into your Paypal account, select Send Money and enter this email: [email protected]. This isn't my regular email, so post or PM me with any questions.

Mahalo!

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 7:27 PM

I'll most definitely be there as I hope all TX tikiphiles will!

You can't beat the Enchanted Lagoon for exotic escapism. Koitiki's property is BEAUTIFUL....pool, hot tub, outdoor bar, music, not to mention tiki's that keep showing up unexpectedly as you stroll through the garden. My favorite memory from last year was sitting in a recliner gazing up at the stars listening to Martin Denny while sipping a Nui Nui. It doesn't get any better than that. I wouldn't miss this gathering for anything!

K

Wow! Thanks for the glowing review Kenike!

I'm psyched about the RSVP's I've been getting. Crash has generously offered more cool raffle prizes this year and is bringing some of her recent work with found objects and papier mache that must be seen to be believed. No one else is creating tiki art like this. You just gotta see!

Some of her other work:
[email protected]
http://www.cindyraschke.com

Hulacat and I are cooking up some culinary surprises, along with some of the faves returning from last year, like spring rolls and Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewer's. Yum...

On 2009-07-07 19:27, Kenike wrote:
I'll most definitely be there as I hope all TX tikiphiles will!

You can't beat the Enchanted Lagoon for exotic escapism. Koitiki's property is BEAUTIFUL....pool, hot tub, outdoor bar, music, not to mention tiki's that keep showing up unexpectedly as you stroll through the garden. My favorite memory from last year was sitting in a recliner gazing up at the stars listening to Martin Denny while sipping a Nui Nui. It doesn't get any better than that. I wouldn't miss this gathering for anything!

D

Aloha Koitiki,

Count us in, all three of us, Hulacat, Castlehune and me! Really looking forward to it, last year's luau was simply the greatest! .....so much fun. Anyone else who is thinking of coming and hasn't committed yet, .... don't wait, this will be a luau party you'll long remember.

Do we have a list available for posting yet so we can see who's coming so far?

Dobrolic

K

On 2009-07-11 16:59, Dobrolic wrote:

Do we have a list available for posting yet so we can see who's coming so far?

Dobrolic

Besides all of us locals, we've got folks coming from Dallas, Houston and San Antonio so far. I have as many RSVP's as we had attend last year and they're still coming in. Gonna be a great crowd. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Gettin' psyched!!
Koitiki's place is enCHANTing, making time spent with the Texas Ohana (and some out-of-staters?) even better. :) :) :)

And this year, I plan to NOT leave Houston without all my aloha wear, forcing me to have to borrow one of Koitiki's beautiful dresses. :roll:
F

Man, why wasn't this going on when I lived there!? lol
looks like a fun event!

K

Aloha folks!

Barely more than a week away from the Texas Tiki Round-up! Sixty plus RSVP's so far. Woohoo! Can't wait to see my old tiki buds and meet some new ones. The time for a food and liquor run is almost upon me. Thanks to everyone who has RSVP'd and those who have Paypal'd. If you haven't RSVP'd yet, please let us know you're coming so we don't run out of booze! You can RSVP here or PM me.

For those interested in burlesque, here's a link to a show on Friday the 31st before the party Saturday.
http://kittykittybangbangshow.com/new-show.html

The address will be posted next week. There might be some cool cars out front. I'm especially hoping to see one of Crash's recent projects I've been hearing alot about, a car painted entirely with koi!

One room and several sofas still available at Chez Koitiki for anyone wanting to claim them...

This sounds like an excellent reason to get out of town and to Austin! Can't wait to check out the Enchanted Lagoon and all...

GK

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and organized Tikiphilia, but I'm a Galveston BOI and a pro hula hooper, and I'm coming with Los SuperAvengers! I will bring hula hoops for us to play with!

K

On 2009-07-28 11:13, cedarhoops wrote:
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and organized Tikiphilia, but I'm a Galveston BOI and a pro hula hooper, and I'm coming with Los SuperAvengers! I will bring hula hoops for us to play with!

Welcome cedarhoops! Sounds like awesome fun. I am so ready to get my hula on!

Grande Kahu, so glad you're making it!

Everyone, the Salt Lick BBQ is encouraging reservations. If you know you will be joining us Sunday for brunch, please let me know. Meeting time at the Salt Lick will be 11:30. Don't forget it is cash only and BYOB.

K

Aloha folks. Got a great crowd going for Saturday. Looks like 100 or so. Those asking about food or drink quantity to bring, please don't feel you have to feed everyone. Bring what you can (and that will be much appreciated), and we'll set it all out.

Festivities start at 7:30. PM me if you need directions. So looking forward to seeing everyone!

[ Edited by: Koitiki 2009-08-02 18:33 ]

That was awesome fun, y'all. Many thanks to KoiTiki and all who provided sustenance and entertainment!

T

It didn't happen without pictures!

D

Aloha Koitiki & Dane
You've done it again! Thrown a great party, with rocking bands, luscious libations & awesome food. Thank you! Also, special thank yous to Combo Maholo & Los Super Avengers for the great tunes, to Son of Limbo Lizard for the fire dancing & to the Barton Springs Hoola hooper queen for bringing her hoops to share. Last but not least, we can't think of anything that beats a 3 AM swim in the Enchanted Lagoon....schweet!
Dobrolic, Hulacat & Castlehune

Best Austin Tiki Gathering EVAH!!!

Many photos were indeed snapped (I got to see 'em this AM), and much fun was had.

And as Dobrolic said, what can be better than a 3:00 AM (well, 4:30 AM) swim?
Answer: 4:30 AM swim in an enchanted lagoon with a Blood of the Kapu Tiki in your cup. :drink:

Great music, great food and drink, great prizes, an aMAZing upstairs tiki room, and wonderful friends.
Koitiki and Dane are outstanding hosts.

Eat yr heart out, California :P :D

"Zazz captivates felt."

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2009-08-02 17:18 ]

H

Confirmed time of final swim was 4:30 AM, and yes,...Koitiki's new tiki room is wonderful! All "...were(sic) haunted as if by a feverish dream."
The fortune cookie fortune said so.
Best comment of the evening: "All homes should be required to have a tiki room!"
Hulacat

[ Edited by: Hulacat 2009-08-02 18:28 ]

K

So much fun!! I've got many mahalos to make and tons of cute photos to share. Will post it all as soon as my hangover subsides. In the meanwhile, here is a teaser pic to get you started.

Enchantress stalks her prey in tiki truck lair

The Enchanted Lagoon, as night begins to fall :up:

Monica with the great surf rockin' band, Los Super Avengers :up:

Shaka! Hangin' loose in the kitchen at 1:00AM :up:

Monica and I had another fantastic and mostly memorable evening (it gets a little hazy for me, after a point). The upstairs tiki den put me in envy-overload - so creative, great job!
Yes, I had rather a hangover, myself, Koitiki - though probably not as big as the monuments some were building up, that night :) I tried to heed your posted warning about pacing, and did well, until late. Then I think I sort of loa loa'd the Nui Nuis a bit - just too good.
Our thanks to you and Dane, and to everyone else who helped you put it all together. Great food, drinks, music and, especially, great people.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-04 18:43 ]

Hey Everyone!

I had a bunch of pictures so I decided to upload them to Shutterfly instead of posting them all on here.
Go to this link to view--> http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=1CbsW7huyYv-g

If you'd like a picture, but don't want to buy it off of Shutterfly, PM me and I'll email you the pic.

It was such a great party! Thanks so much :) The tiki room was amazing, I'm so jealous!

Now I'm off to Tiki Oasis!!!

[ Edited by: TxTikiGirl 2009-08-04 09:51 ]

Oh and P.S. I've got to buy a hula hoop - my abs were sore the next day! Who knew it was such a good/fun workout!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Aug 4, 2009 10:21 AM

GROG look through the pictures. Looked like a fun time.

The place turned out well Koitiki.

GROG not see any cowboy hats or Lonestar beer in the pictures. This was in Texas, wasn't it? :wink:

On 2009-08-04 10:21, GROG wrote:
This was in Texas, wasn't it?

Uh, sort of. It was in Austin. :wink:

K

Limbo Lizard and TxTikiGirl- Great pics! Thanks.

Grog- Grog welcome back to Texas and to the Enchanted Lagoon anytime! Koi still hoping Grog help design mini tiki golf. Hehe.

Koi car owner Dave, Koi car artist Crash, MartiniTiki

Tiki truck owner Cameron of House O' Speed and tiki truck artist Crash

Sandra and Paolo

Cedarhoops

JanetMermaid and Eric

Cam, Crash and Dave

More pics coming. Please feel free to correct me if I get any names wrong!

S

Hey Koitiki,

Mahalo, Kat and I enjoyed meeting everyone and had a good time.

I woke up at 2 pm Sunday hungover and smelling like pineapple.

GK

It was a blast! Thanks Koitiki and Dane for hellofa party! (Now trying to figure out where the heck I can fit a pool in my backyard. Hmm...dam the creek?)

GK

K

More pics:

Combo Mahalo

Julia with art by Crash

Mark with art by Doug Horne (This is one of two pieces I won on Doug's TC thread last Christmas. Check out the next shot to see what we did with the other one.)

Dane blushes from the praise for his handiwork in the tiki room, while Grande Kahu and Tom check out the hinged frame showcasing Doug's artist sketch for the front piece. Every tiki room has to have a special secret, eh? Thanks again Doug!
Oh and I have to note that the seam behind Dane is not shoddy workmanship, but rather the edge of the door that hides my desk area. I will post more tiki room pics to another thread soon.

Kilakopela

Ryan, son of Limbo Lizard

Heelgrinder and Kenike

Cedarhoops and Tami

Los Super Avengers

one more set coming...

K

Huge mahalos to Combo Mahalo and Los Super Avengers for playing for us Saturday! Everyone was totally digging you guys! I received many rave reviews during and after the show. Big thanks also to Crash for creating a mini car show and making the raffle prizes, not to mention her work in the tiki room! Yay for party helpers Lori, HulaCat and Dobrolic, Formikahini, Kathleen, Brittanie, Kenike, Maholio and MartiniTiki. Cedarhoops for the hooping and Ryan for the fire spinning. Loved meeting all of the new folks! Thanks everyone for coming!

I have a fairly large collection of lost and found items including about 10 thermos jugs, which have all been washed and are awaiting the appropriate bribe for their safe return. :wink:

Last of my pics from the Round-up:

New Braunfels and San Antonio represent- Shawn, Kathy, Scott and Heelgrinder

Raffle drawing- HulaCat, Steve, et moi

TxTikiGirl

Fashionista Castlehune. Your earrings match your ensemble perfectly dahlink! (She models raffle prize by Crash)

Yo quiero Los Super Avengers! (Gus from Houston)

From the Enchanted Lagoon, Aloha til next time!

K
Kenike posted on Wed, Aug 5, 2009 7:46 AM

Wow.

Five years ago I was complaining that there was no tiki in Texas. Certainly no one can say that anymore.

We've all seen or read what's been happening at our beloved Trader Vic's in Dallas. Eye candy for sure, but the escapism one expects when walking through those doors is long gone with the opening notes of Kool & The Gang's "Celebration" blaring through the lounge. So, where can one go to have an experience that combines all of the things we love and admire about tiki culture? The answer undoubtedly was what a lucky few got to experience last Saturday night.

Koitiki's home is an amazing blend of backyard Polynesia, a near complete one-room escape to the land of mid-century tiki kitsch, and the residence of a loving family. To say we're all so fortunate that Julie and Dane choose to share it with us is the understatement of the century. Let's not forget the pool & hot tub...

Many people were involved in the preparation...supplying food, alcohol, raffle items, alcohol, music...did I mention booze? I'd like to thank everyone...I could start naming names but I'm sure I'd forget someone.

Now think about this...just in one town at one house about 75 guests show up and NOT just because it's a good party and they can swim in a pool. They mostly came because it was a gathering of like minded folks who really have no place else to get this kind of experience. Not in Texas, anyway. Koitiki didn't put this together because she likes all the work that goes into it. It's because there is no place else to go to celebrate our love of Polynesian Pop culture. It's because there are no true tiki-esque establishments in our state that embrace the whole idea. Just imagine if Trader Vic's or Don The Beachcomber opened a new location in Austin and REALLY did it right. I might move...

Thanks again, Julie and Dane, for giving us what we can't get anywhere else.

Koi, Dane and all the others who worked so hard to make this happen: Thanks again for yet another incredible party. Mrs. Austin_Tiki and I had a blast.

[ Edited by: Austin_Tiki 2009-08-05 10:38 ]

K

Looks like a great time was had by all!

TxTikiGirl, I can help you out. email me cedarhoops (at) g mail (dot) com

Tiki sure is fun, but my usual motif is Circus. If anybody wants to get their hoop on some more, just come join my circus, you don't even have to run away! Check out C.U.@Circus on Facebook.

We are holding and Electro Circus this Sunday and next from 3-10pm at the Polo picnic area at Barton Springs. Sure would be fun if some Tiki monsters came to hoop with me and scare the children! No, really it's kid and dog friendly.

Aloha, and thanks for the great pics!

K

On 2009-08-04 13:59, Shon-tiki wrote:
I woke up at 2 pm Sunday hungover and smelling like pineapple.

Shon-tiki: Pineapple... hmmm. Coulda been much worse! :) Great meeting you guys!

A few musical notes for everyone:

Anyone that missed the Rancho del Ray show on KOOP when Ted mentioned our shindig, can hear it like this:

Go to the Rancho del Ray page on the radio station site, then scroll down and click on SOUND FILE ARCHIVES, which will take you to Dennis Haberkern's site where the files are actually hosted, of the five or six most recent shows.

http://koop.org/index.php?page=schedule§ion=ranchodelray

http://dennishaberkern.com/rancho_del_ray.htm

The 8-5-09 show had one set with four Hawaiian songs, it was set three. The printed playist is not posted yet on the KOOP site.
The 7-29-09 show had all Hawaiian during the 2nd half of the show.

Also from Los Super Avengers: We will be playing The Hole In The Wall on Sept 4th. There is going to be a Surf-Rock Extravaganza! It's gonna be The Long Shadows at 9pm The Neptones at 10pm, The Nematoads at 11pm and us at 12am (midnight). Hope to see some of you there!!!

K

Here are a few upcoming dates for Combo Mahalo:

We are playing this Friday @ The Elephant Room on Congress
between 3rd & 4th from 6-8p. The next gig after that is Aug. 28th @
the Driskill Hotel lounge from 8.30-10.30p.

Also, finally got some pics up of the tiki room:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33500&forum=18&12

I know TxTikiGirl and I will both be at Oasis. Any other Texans going?

Pages: 1 40 replies