Name:Hula Hula
Type:restaurant
Street:Calle Bernardo del Carpio
City:Leon
State:
Zip:N/A
Phone:Unknown

Description:
The Hula Hula is a classic case of having an initial rush of excitement at finding an unknown Tiki Bar only to be bitterly crushed to find that virtually all relics from it's halcyon days have been removed.

I spied the Hula Hula down a side street in the Northern Spanish town of Leon (known for it's stained glass and chorizo) on the way into town from the coach station. It was closed, so we decided to make the bar the last stop before going to bed later that evening.

There was an ominous sign that not all was well - "Karaoke". Indeed once inside, it was obvious that most Tiki decor had long since been stripped out and the bar turned into a karaoke bar. We ordered a drink anyway - just an overpriced beer and a coke, as there was no menu of Tiki drinks. The place was dead, as you can see from the photos. On the bright side, so could be just the place for a Tiki-phile to take over and spruce up.

Anyway, here are some more photos:

The entrance

The bar - The only impressive things were the cool low-down leather stools.

Mrs Woody trying to contain her excitement

Spot the Tiki mug time...

Monkey mug

More of the bar - note karaoke screens everywhere

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody 2009-05-19 00:54 ]

M

So, how was the chorizo?

Woody? Woody!?! I recall someone by that name. Long time no see, way too long.

If anyone is going to discover an unknown Spanish tiki bar I'd guess it would be you. Alas, it looks like the salad days have long since passed for this particular bar.

Welcome back, amigo...

midnite

On 2009-05-19 00:53, Trader Woody wrote:

Spot the Tiki mug time...

Its a Spanish Guerrero Hielo (aka Ice Warrior) mug with a doll head on top I think, do I win a prize?

T

Great seeing your post, mate! Wish I was back in Spain too.

On 2009-05-19 01:02, midnite wrote:
So, how was the chorizo?

Woody? Woody!?! I recall someone by that name. Long time no see, way too long.

If anyone is going to discover an unknown Spanish tiki bar I'd guess it would be you. Alas, it looks like the salad days have long since passed for this particular bar.

Welcome back, amigo...

midnite

Hey Midnite!

Leon was certainly the place to have chorizo - well spotted!

Yeah, you can take the man out of Tiki but not the Tiki out of the man.. Always have my eyes open, though these days less likely to give myself a neck injury swiveling around to check out something brown and ceramic in the corner of my eye that turns out to be a 60's pickled onion container.

Good to be back and see old friends still fighting the good fight.
Woody

S'up TW, good to see you posting again.
Aloha

Pages: 1 5 replies