Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Smokin' Menehunes live

Pages: 1 25 replies

Here is a link to a page that has the set from Bamboo Ben on March 29th.
I pulled it off my camcorder so there is a lot of background noise. The clips still sound pretty good and you can tell everybody is having a great time. The files are .mov so you will need quicktime to dig em.
Enjoy,
Chongolio

Get your self an earful here:
http://www.lost-isle.com/menehunes/

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-04-04 10:07 ]

Chongolio,
Very cool of you to do this!

Now I can put them on a disc and sell the bootlegs at the next big TC event.... :)

T

Chongolio,

Your selfless work still amazes me! Thanks.

P.S. next time your down H.B. way, we'll do dawn patrol and hit the waves.

T

BOng,
Very nice work on the Steel Guitar. You Menehunes all sound great. I especially enjoyed Sleepwalk. Keep it up y'all.

Yeah, I must see you guys play this year.

Great work Chonger. You gotta come back down soon, it was nice meeting you.

My buddy Lapu video taped the show. If I e-mail you a video clip in quicktime, would you be able to put it up?

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-04-04 17:29 ]

E

Mmm, Sleepwalk, one of my favorite tunes of all time...and so nicely done too! And all the tunes are truly smokin'!

aloha,
emspace.

C

P-pop, I will bring bootleg Menehune shirts to go with your bootleg CD's. We can meet in the parking lot. Ha! Bong, Actually its not selfless, by doing this stuff, I can procrastinate doing the work I should be doing.
Lucky, If I have the server space I can host Lapu's video for a little while. Unfortunately, I will probally have to find a new home to host the Menehune page sooner than later. I am almost up to my limit and will need to free up some space for a some upcoming projects.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-04-04 20:13 ]

You know what Chong? I was screwing around with the video earlier and I think the file size would be way to big. Your music site is already above and beyond.

Bong, can you believe they are already bootlegging our stuff. When are we gonna get a cut from the t-shirt sales? Next thing you know we're gonna have to sue napster just like Metallica. Ya, sure....

I always love the song Sleepwalk... (song 4 reminded me of it's a small world after all - what was that song?)
Thanks for letting those who missed the H.T.O.C. Crawl hear the show.

The Smokin' Menehunes appreciate all the kind words. We on the other hand cringe when we hear little musical bobbles we committed in the tunes here and there.

We've only been practicing about 6 weeks, but we will continue and polish up our tunes.

Mahalo

Damn, I hate to be a whiney crybaby but no matter what I do to my piece of shit computer I can't open this up!! It gives me a message "invalid file". I don't pretend to be a big computer whiz, I just use it to do research, comunicate messages, computer drafting (Autocad, Cadam, etc)& to f*ck around on Tiki Central, but when I want to check something out like the Smokin' Menehunes or the pics on shutterfly I get nada. This comes on top of going out to the Hanalei today and taking a bunch of great pics of the Islands Room and elsewhere with a freinds new digital camera and then I come home and can't get this thing to even view my photo card, much less print out. My computer is kind of a Frankenstein creation and I'm beginning to think Igor grabbed the "criminal brain" instead of the "normal brain" (metaforically speaking of course). Well, now that I've got that off my chest I think I'll head back on down to the Hanalei for more Mai Tais. At least I got to see most of the Smokin' Menehune's set LIVE & UNCENSORED last weekend at Ben's, so I guess I can't bitch too much.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-04-06 19:01 ]

E

Hey shipwreckjoey, have you got the Quicktime plugin yet? Haul yer butt over to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ and grab it. You will then be validated, if not downright affirmed...

:), emspace.

Hey all, I am going to be taking the Smoking Menehune songs off my server after this weekend (Feb 1, 04) to make room for my new site. Soooo, if you want these files better get 'um quick.

Chongolio

T

Chongolio,

I just want to let everyone know that those tunes were done before we had our great bass player Tiki Mick. It's a much, much fuller sound now.

That was also recorded after we had been together for only like three months. We're getting more and more like a well oiled machine since then.

Hey guys,
Any news about the CD?

I don't think the CD that we recorded earlier will be offered for sale. It is a legitimate recording, but we just don't feel that what is represented on that recording gives us Menehunes proper credit as to where we are now. Since we went into that studio, we've almost doubled our song list and have all progressed ten fold on our respective instruments. If you ask around, you may be able to get a bootleg copy of the CD.

We've been talking about getting back into the studio to do another recording pretty soon. Although, this is turning out to be our busiest season right now with private parties just about every weekend. I'm really looking forward to getting back into the recoding studio though. Hopefully we'll do it right and have it packaged and available for purchase.

DZ

Unga--

PM me your addy and I'll burn you a copy (with LuckyD's permission, of course...)

Hey Lucky, good to hear you guys are keeping busy with gigs and staying out of trouble. We are all looking forward to hearin' some new tunes when you find time to get back into the studio.

Unga, There is a scrappy looking dude at the beach who is sellling Menehune and Popylop CD's out of the back of his truck. He also has a few chickens, cacawates and used levi's. Let me know if you want me to pick you up anything.

Chongolio

P.S. Just kidding. But if The Menehunes are O.K. with it I will roast a CD for you and send it with your shirt.

P

Are you kidding me?

I want one of those CDs right now.
I'll pay whatever you say but start burning.
PM me please, whoever it is that can satisfy this great aural need.

On 2004-07-16 13:14, pablus wrote:

Are you kidding me?

I want one of those CDs right now.
I'll pay whatever you say but start burning.
PM me please, whoever it is that can satisfy this great aural need.

gimme gimme this...gimme gimme that

-the Germs

I got another clip up of the Smokin' Menehunes Jammin' at Bamboo Ben for the Orange County Tiki Crawl III back in 2003. There is Another one here. These clips have the original line up consisting or Tiki Bong, Lucky Designs and Shirley Orlando. I posted this second clip some on another thread someplace but thought it made more sense to put them in this thread. Quality is not great because I was shootin' into a bright window in the background, but the sound is OK and you get a pretty good feel for the fun we were all having. Be sure to listen for the squeaky beer cooler!

Enjoy,
Chongolio

TM

That's real cool! I am not on it, but I like it anyway, and it's damn nice to see Spike up there!!

Thanks, Miguel. That was seriously four years ago?! Seems like yesterday...

That's cause we just saw each other last month, at the NAMM!!

But seriously, I like that clip. You guys had just started the band, no bass player yet, and you had the balls to get up there and have a good time anyway. The mark of a professional!

Pages: 1 25 replies