Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Wreck Bar Mermaids.... Might be your last chance!

Pages: 1 13 replies

Most of you have heard by now that the Yankee Clipper is doing some remodeling, and no ones knows what that really means other than the place is closing June 1 and isn't reopening until December.

That only gives you two more chances to see the Mermaids swim this year!

This Friday, May 22

Next Friday, May 29

Join us at the Wreck Bar and enjoy Marina and her pod of Mermaids as they do what only they can do! And if you haven't seen the Mermaids swim yet the show is not to be missed!

Some local media:
http://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/story/1047489.html

And from Hurricane Hayward:
http://www.slammie.com/hukilau/fliers/wreckbar.jpg

T

Chip, make sure Bargoyle leaves his fishing rod back at your place!

[ Edited by: Turbogod 2009-05-21 06:46 ]

On 2009-05-21 06:45, Turbogod wrote:
Chip, make sure Bargoyle leaves his fishing rod back at your place!

No worries..... we told him that if he wanted to catch one he was going to have to jump in and swim after her.

I got fresh batteries for the camera in case he actually tries.

Is there a place to rent Scuba gear nearby?

We have Bargoyle...... Wreck Bar in 20 minutes.... Black mail opportunities and information in 30 minutes!

:wink:

T

please so Aloha to Marina for me :)

S

You didn't paint the Bargoyle green again did you?

We need photos!!

Suzanne

P.S. Wish I could be there with you kids! Miss ya!

Holy CARP!

What a turnout! You fellers are my fave mental patients. Thanks for the Mai-Tais, Chip!

I could do about 5 somersaults in a row after those two... whoooooohoohoohooie!

Only one swim left...

Next Friday's final swim starts at 6 p.m., right Marina? That's what the flier says ...

Had a blast last Friday..... great to see those who made it! Looking forward to seeing everyone else this coming friday!

Here are a couple of pix from Friday.....

And, with the fate of the Wreck Bar unknown during the remodel, it seems like now is a good time to start gathering as much of the visual story as we can.

For Flickr Users:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/wreckbar/

Facebook and Myspace information soon.

On 2009-05-21 11:22, Bargoyle wrote:
Is there a place to rent Scuba gear nearby?

I thought you were serious about the request...lol (that's why I kept talking about diving and you said something about exotic women taking you into the surf at night during Hukilau and you were afraid of the ocean...or something like that)

If you had gone, you would have seen this...

If anybody is going to be in town for the mermaid show tomorrow night and wants to go diving on Saturday, we are doing an afternoon 60' wreck/30' reef dive on the American Dream II through Lauderdale Diver (954-467-2822) cost is $60 12:00 show, 12:30 go. Logbook and AAS required.

Aloha there!

I spoke with several folks today at the Clipper during the shoot and mentioned the missing objects on the wall-

Chip & Andy took a good one of the Wreck Bar sign that was removed last Friday- the Ship's wheel that was beside it is now gone too.

The "Wreck Lounge" sign (see photo) is now also missing, as are two of the wooden ship carvings above the aquariums.

It seems pieces are being stolen from the Bar (Security thinks they may be employees).
No authorization had been given to remove the pieces at any point.

If anyone has a photo of the ships above the aquariums, could you please send them to me, so that I can send them to Clipper security?
Any good shots with details of the interior walls would be helpful too.

I have been hearing a lot leaning toward keeping some parts of the bar & walls intact, but this may not be so easy if pieces continue to be removed.
Mahalo!

Marina

I've lived in South Florida for 9 years and didn't even know the Wreck Bar and mermaid show existed until I recently saw it on here. My loss. I managed to get to the final show on Friday though, and am very happy I did. I was fortunate enough to see the beautiful mermaids, but the place was so packed I couldn't get a drink! Maybe the Sheraton big-wigs will recognize that and keep the bar, and the show, intact.
-Chris P

Management is at least interested in the Wreck Bar so that is a good sign that it will stay in some form.

BUT!

We need your help....

For you Flickr users, please join the Wreck Bar Group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/wreckbar/) and share your pictures and stories of the place. It can be used as a reference to remind Management of what they have, what's there, and....

Wreck Bar Sign on the back wall

Same sign two weeks before the close

Same sign (or lack of) two days before the close.

It might help management help recover some of the things that turned up missing in the last few weeks before the doors closed for the remodel crews. Management is interested in keeping some or all of the Wreck Bar as is, but not if all of the stuff is going missing.

Help out and share your pictures and story.

What... your not a Flickr User? Well, post your pix and story here and some of the locals will make sure this thread is shared with the management.

Don't delay! The work has begun already on other parts of the hotel! Share what you can soon, share before the remodel teams get to the Wreck Bar!

Pages: 1 13 replies