Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Paper Straws ?

Pages: 1 5 replies

S

My parents used to take us to a restaurant as wee tikes that served a very bright red drink in a glass with a straw stuck to the side.

Does anyone remember papaer straws? The straws were wrapped in, you guessed it, more paper.

T

Suzy Wong,

yes, I remember paper straws. They were candy cane striped and waxed I believe.

P.S. How's your world Suzy Wong?

Actually, several years back before Ruby's restaurants (founded 1984, Balboa Pier, CA) got too big, they used to serve drinks with actual paper straws, not coated in wax. Vanilla Cokes just don't taste the same anymore with plastic straws.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2003-04-04 18:17 ]

T

The only source I could find for paper straws (that were not specifically for crafts) is at A C Paper & Supply. I left a message with their sales rep to find out more about them, but it seems they are all white and unwaxed.

Maybe I'll get some, if I don't have to open a commercial account and commit to 50,000 straws! :)

:tiki:

There was a resturant near Kelly Park in San Jose (next to Happy Hollow) that served Cokes with paper straws when I was 5 or 6. Or 7. That's Historic San Jose with the gigantic Lamp that was supposed to light the entire city during the night.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

~Hanford

S

Tiki_Bong,
It's "incredible" of course!

The straws were paper, I think they were white. I don't remember any wax on them. This was around 1975. EEK!
The straw obviously didn't last that long.
That is the ony place (A Cafeteria) I remember those types of straws. Ah, the good old days.....

Pages: 1 5 replies