Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Los Angeles: Clearman's Galley returns!

Pages: 1 2 replies

Howdy!

The restaurant with the boat in front of it, "Clearman's Galley" in the San Gabriel/Rosemead area, has returned, slightly relocated. The boat now sits in front of a larger restaurant building located next to the Clearman's North Woods Inn on Rosemead Blvd.

This is quite a surprise to me as I thought that boat was gone forever, developed out of existence! I seriously believed the boat had been converted to a pile of scrap wood. Not the case. You can check out their website, which has some new media...

http://www.clearmansgalley.com/

Boris and I spotted the Galley on the way to Bahooka one day last year. Boris tried to get me to stop, but I was really craving a pile o' ribs.

We finally decided to check out the place earlier this year for Boris' birthday. We poked our heads in the door and decided there was no way in hell we were going to eat there, so we went next door to the North Woods Inn.

Clearman's Galley is like a giant mess hall filled with long community tables and noise so loud you can't hear yourself think. But it's a really neat looking place. Certainly worth taking a gander at.

Oh, yeah. I know what you mean! I only ate at "The Boat" once and that was nearly thirty years ago! And the food was passable, burgers 'n' fries type stuff. I think of the place as a reassuring landmark...a pleasant sight to drive past. Same with the Clearman's North Woods Inn restaurants...I only recently ate in one for the first time, and was mainly interested to see if it was as interesting on the inside as on the outside (it really was, too!). These places are nice things to see, free eye candy on the highway. Keeps the terrain interesting!

Pages: 1 2 replies