Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Buy American

Pages: 1 14 replies

I WAS BUYING FOOD THE OTHER DAY AT THE COUNTRY MARKET. ON THE LABEL OF SOME PRODUCTS IT S AID FROM CHINA.FOR EXAMPLE THE" OUR FAMILY" BRAND OF THE MANDARIN ORANGES SAYS RIGHT ON THE CAN FROM CHINA I WAS SHOCKED!! SO FOR A FEW MORE CENTS I BOUGHT THE LIBERTY GOLD BRAND OR THE DOLE IS FROM CAL.

TAKES FOREVER JUST TO BUY FOOD AND DO LABEL READING ! !
Are we Americans as dumb as we appear --- or --- is it that we just do not think?

While the Chinese, knowingly and intentionally, export inferior and even toxic products and dangerous toys and goods to be sold in American markets, the media wrings its hands and criticizes the Bush Administration (now Obama Administration)for perceived errors.
Yet 70% of Americans believe that the trading privileges afforded to the Chinese should be suspended.
Well, duh..why do you need the government to suspend trading privileges?
SIMPLY DO IT YOURSELF, AMERICA!!
Simply look on the bottom of every product you buy, and if it says 'Made in China' or 'PRC' (and that now includes Hong =2 0 Kong), simply choose another product, or none at all. You will be amazed at how dependent you are on Chinese products, and you will be equally amazed at what you can do without..
Who needs plastic eggs to celebrate Easter? If you must have eggs, use real ones and benefit some American farmer. Easter is just an example, the point is do not wait for the government to act. Just go ahead and assume control on your own.

THINK ABOUT THIS If 200 million Americans refuse to buy just $20 each of Chinese goods, that's a billion dollar trade imbalance resolved in our favor....fast!!
The downside? Some American businesses will feel a temporary pinch from having foreign stockpiles of inventory. Wahhhhhhhhhhhh
The solution? Let's give them fair warning and send our own message. Most of the people who have been reading about this matter are planning on implementing this on June 4, and continue it until July 4. That is only one month of trading losses, but it will hit the Chinese for 1/12th of the total, or 8%, of their American exports. Then they will at least have to ask themselves if the benefits of their arrogance and lawlessness were worth it.
! Remember, June 4 to July 4.

EVEN BETTER. . ... START NOW.
Send this to everybody you know. Let's show them that we are Americans and NOBODY can take us for granted.
=0 A

Yah, I've seen that. To quote Pink Floyd I'd rather.
"And who knows which is which and who is who
Up and Down
But in the end it's only round and round"

M
Mambo posted on Mon, May 25, 2009 6:27 AM

I try not to buy anything made in china....
however its almost impossible!
Most all merchandise in the stores are chinese.

Right on. I also try not to eat any Chinese food and or eat anything with chopsticks. America is in a sorry state all because of those Chinese. Let's do something about it. I'm thinking internment camps. Who's with me?

On 2009-05-27 12:20, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:
Right on. I also try not to eat any Chinese food and or eat anything with chopsticks. America is in a sorry state all because of those Chinese. Let's do something about it. I'm thinking internment camps. Who's with me?

I'm up for it....think the chow will be any good??....:)

KK

This is possibly one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while.
By not buying Chinese products for a month the only people affected will be the American businesses large and small holding Chinese stock that they would have already paid for and therefore it will only help America descend further into recession.
Not to mention that most sensible people in the world are trying to help the Global economy by promoting free trade not halting it.

"Are we Americans as dumb as we appear --- or --- is it that we just do not think?"
If you buy into this idea the answer is probably YES to both

On 2009-06-01 02:36, cheekytiki wrote:
This is possibly one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while.
By not buying Chinese products for a month the only people affected will be the American businesses large and small holding Chinese stock that they would have already paid for and therefore it will only help America descend further into recession.
Not to mention that most sensible people in the world are trying to help the Global economy by promoting free trade not halting it.

"Are we Americans as dumb as we appear --- or --- is it that we just do not think?"

Come on Cheeky....don't hold back...:)

I'm sure all those GM workers will appreciate it when you go out and buy a toyota or honda.

KK

I love how this discussion, no matter where it is being held, always gets framed in an US versus THEM style presentation....

First, "Buy American!" is a fantastic slogan and should be taken to heart. Buying local goods is better for everyone. The best produce you can find is grown locally, and the best meat you can eat is grown in your area. If your willing to pay for it. The factory farms have driven down price by sacrificing quality. The factories have driven down most everything.... including our precious rum. Bacardi is about 10 bucks a bottle, but will you drink it? I won't, I spend my money on the stuff that isn't lowest common denominator factory produced.

The car reference.... The Toyota Camry is the US number 1 selling car. It is assembled in america and contains a bit over fifty percent of parts also made in america. Foreign company, American made. If you were to boycott foreign companies you would be putting american jobs at risk thereby hurting the very cause you are trying to support.

All you lucky people in California, well your house/apartment/domicile is probably sitting on some of the most fertile farmland in the US, but the fruit groves were turned under for subdivisions. Do any of you have a garden? Have any of you planted a Fruit tree? If you haven't then you can't complain about all of 'our' produce coming from Chile and China and other far-flung parts of the planet.

Look deeper into the situation and don't let the latest email you received set your opinion. Think first, then Act.

And remember two very important things....

We are all in this together! No matter how far apart we are on the issue, the world is round so if we get too far apart we can keep going and get back together on the other side.

And I wish I could find the author of this quote..... Once you admit we are all part of the Human Race, what more can be said.

TG

I learned how to eat with chopsticks about the same time I learned how to eat with a fork (11 o'clock I think). Chinese food has been part of my diet since infancy actually. I don't plan on giving that up any time soon. Decades ago I began studying martial arts and have many years' experience studying arts of the Japanese, Okinawan, Burmese, and Chinese systems. In the Chinese system, I practice a southern style kung-fu and a northern style taijiquan. Probably once a month I'll visit the local Asian markets to pick up hard-to-find ingredients. I spent some time in Beijing in 1996... Suffice it to say, I have no qualms about buying things made in China, especially, if I want lead in my paint and msg in my food.

The reason you find so much stuff all over the world made in China is because companies from other countries hire them to make it all. I wouldn't dis the Chinese for making and selling any of it. If the same things could be made at reasonable cost in the US, far less would be farmed out. For the most part, stuff made in the US is of higher quality than the same stuff made elsewhere. When price is not a consideration, I go for the higher quality. Usually, that means buying US, but not always. The US essentially invented free enterprise. If US companies want to let other countries beat us at our own game, well... that's one of the options in free enterprise.

Sorry if I came on a bit Harsh, I'm totally up for supporting local produce and products at every possible chance.

But complaining because a "MANDARIN" Orange comes from China is still ridiculous.

I live in the UK so GM will never benefit from me, I do however own a Ford which is made almost entirely with parts made by Nissan.

N

Don't get me started on those Chinese tikis taking away jobs from American Carvers, today it's the Dollar Tree tomorrow you may get served Kung Pau Haupia at Trader Vics.

Just don't blame the Chinese. I assure you, there are countless other things they would rather be carving than tikis, but someone paid them to do it, so...

Exactly on the mark, Cheeky. This rant, started by KK, is a tradition kept alive by Americans(though others are guilty as well) of always trying to blame other people(especially those who are not white) for their ills.
People don't buy American cars, because they generally aren't well built efficient machines. Is that Japan's fault? And by the way, many of the less expensive tiki mugs that are probably in your collection were in fact MADE IN CHINA or MEXICO. There is a reason you can buy one for 10 bucks!

Kamaina Kraig, you need to change your name once again and add an additional word that starts with a K. The initials would perfectly represent your misguided efforts.

On 2009-06-02 12:47, Tiki Kaimuki wrote:

Exactly on the mark, Cheeky. This rant, started by KK, is a tradition kept alive by Americans(though others are guilty as well) of always trying to blame other people(especially those who are not white) for their ills.
People don't buy American cars, because they generally aren't well built efficient machines. Is that Japan's fault? And by the way, many of the less expensive tiki mugs that are probably in your collection were in fact MADE IN CHINA or MEXICO. There is a reason you can buy one for 10 bucks!

Kamaina Kraig, you need to change your name once again and add an additional word that starts with a K. The initials would perfectly represent your misguided efforts.

I am shocked that you would accuse someone you do not know of something as vile and disgusting as that....I mean I am fucking shocked....I will never again post on this website.

MT

This thread is the perfect example of why "No discussing religion or politics. Tiki Central is not the place for this kind of discussion." is the Number 1 rule of Tiki Central. The ignoring of this rule usually starts a downward spiral that leads to the violation of rule Number 2: Be polite. Please refrain from insults and name-calling. Be polite even if someone is insulting you or someone else "started it". If someone is really bothering you, then U-Mod or contact us, but be polite.

Even in Bilge, it's dangerous waters to tread, as evidenced here.

Could somebody please lock this thread?!?

Pages: 1 14 replies