Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Caddy Daddy's Carvings

Pages: 1 13 replies

I am a noob to carving but have always had a passion for Polynesian carvings/culture. Here is my first attempt to putting a chisel and sander to a palm trunk. Before I get into statues I wanted to construct an elevated dog food station for my dog Tiki. I am so HOOKED on carving. It was hard to put down the tools and quit at times. Decided to make the font stand out and stain the letters. I am considering coating it with a varnish or resin of some sort. I need to do more research.

[ Edited by: CaddyDaddy 2009-05-28 10:14 ]

wow, great idea! what a great way to start carving

Amy

Nice font choice, and lucky dog. Thanks for sharing.

B

Yes, Excellent first carve and I can see you are Hooked already, bitten by the carving bug, you might as well clear out your garage and fill it with all the tools and wood you can't afford and stop everything else to pursue this Wild Passion which will dominate you forever. Serious!

B

I am inspired. Gonna make one for my cat. Very Cool. BUFFBAD

You may want to add an extra coat of poly if the one dish is a water dish. Anything like my dogs there is as mush water in the dish as there is on the floor. Nice carve.

L

Welcome on board for you and your dog! Nice début carving. :)

[ Edited by: laojia 2009-05-25 21:09 ]

So happy about the results. Thanks for all the kind responses. My dog is enjoying the new food station.

So what keeps it from rolling around and dumping everything on the floor? Did you cut a flat spot on the wood, or does it have little hidden feet?

Lucky Dog!!!
I wish I had a dog to carve one for, now.
How did you get the bowls so perfectly shaped?
Is that just chiseled by eye?

I planed out the bottom to make a flat spot. When he gets bigger I am going to fabricate a bamboo leg support to raise it higher.

On 2009-05-27 19:58, tikisbytyler wrote:
Lucky Dog!!!
I wish I had a dog to carve one for, now.
How did you get the bowls so perfectly shaped?
Is that just chiseled by eye?

Thanks! Yes, Tiki is very spoiled.
I chiseled out a measured diameter and then used a dremel tool to sand down the high spots until the bowls dropped in cleanly.

Finally got started on my first statue. I learned as I went along finding some tools work better than others. I still have not found the right tool to get into tight corners to sand/finish. I mostly used a 4 1/2" angle grinder for detail work and I am pretty happy with the results.

Lookin good
Don't go 3 yrs between posts next time
Lol
:)

Pages: 1 13 replies