Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

ZOMBIE!!!!!!

Pages: 1 5 replies

D

Mahalo folks!

IT'S ALIVE!! Just had my first experience(s) mixing Zombies here at home, and I'm happy to report that the mission was successfully accomplished. Followed the Don the Beachcomber recipe pretty much to the 'T' from page 89 of Grog Log. As far as rums... used Myers for dark, Bacardi gold in place of 'Barbados' rum (maybe some of you seasoned mixologists have advice/comments on that?), Bacardi light for light Puerto Rican rum, and Bacardi 151. And using my new cocktail shaker, all I can say is DAMN...Don knew what he was doing, or maybe not, but either way an amazing classic cocktail!! My girfriend also picked up some very decorative Collins glasses at the 99 cent (!) store that are totally ass-kicking and were pretty much made for sipping Zombies. I will post pictures of the glasses (filled with Zombies) soon.

Also had some fun mixing the 'Planet of the Apes' (page 62 of Grog Log). Not the most interesting in the Tiki drink world but I had the ingredients. How can you not mix a drink named after a Charlton Heston movie if you've got the stuff laying around?? Maybe there should also be a drink called the '10 Commandments' in honor of Mr. Heston as well, but I guess that's for another web site.

Here's to more Nights of the Living Zombie! :drink:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-04-04 23:40 ]

Mmm... Brains!

with little umbrellas on them, to boot!

M

*How can you not mix a drink named after a Charlton Heston movie if you've got the stuff laying around?? *

Just steer clear of the Soylent Green appetizers.

Speaking of Chuck Heston, support the NTA:

Tikis, for the People, by the People

D

...and here's what it looks like. 99 cent (!) glass and all. Want one? :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: donhonyc on 2003-04-06 01:05 ]

Don, that is one handsome drink. It would be a shame to destroy a work of art like this by drinking it, but in my business we have a saying - "form follows function" so let's drink up! As far as using Meyers & Bacardi , both are perfectly respectable in a Zombie as far as I'm concerned. midnite_tiki, how ironic you mentioned "Soylent Green"...I just watched that movie this morning on one of the cable classic movie channels complete with a 1/2 hour documentary on the making of the film. I watched it while munching on my favorite soylent green snack - "Jose Ole's Frozen Mini Tacos". Try it sometime!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-04-06 01:58 ]

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-04-06 03:03 ]

Didn't see the "making of" special on Soylent Green, but I grew up in Houston, where they used our little underground trains at the airport for the factory scenes. We thought those little underground trains were SO cool back then, and everyone was really proud/smug to know that that was what the factory scenes were REALLY of.

Hey, it's Houston, not LA. We're still not too used to having our landmarks pop up on the screen.

One last airport train memory. My brother back in the '70's spent a night with a buddy, stoned off their asses, riding the little trains around all night long, just for entertainment. Couldn't do THAT nowadays! Land in jail as a terrorist ("No officer, I'm not a terrorist, I'm just a stoner!" "Oh, whew, Son, you had us scared there!"). Times have changed indeed.

Pages: 1 5 replies