Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Beachbumz - Tiki Carvings

Pages: 1 44 replies

I have been wanting to try and carve a tiki for many years but just never made it happen.. Maholo's to MauiTiki who gave me a coco log and a plainer to use, I finally made a move on it!!

I've always liked the Marquesan style tiki carvings so I thought I'd give that style a try...
Well it didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it to..:) but It was lot's of fun and I'm ready to try another.. Just picked up an angle grinder today and hopefully a better assortment of chisels soon as well..
Day 1

Day 2
I bought an angle grinder and got a little deeper, I love this tool!
sanded down and used some Spar varnish..

Now I'm on the hunt for some more logs...
Too bad papaya trees are hollow in the middle!! :)

aloha
Scott

http://www.beachbumz.com

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-02 15:08 ]

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-10 22:27 ]

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-12 23:15 ]

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2010-01-03 22:47 ]

That's a great first tiki, you should be proud of that one. From the photos, it looks like you already have a fan base too.

Great first carve. Never tried Papaya, but remember that carving does not have to be done to the shape of a log. In fact, I have been trying to carve away from the shape of the log. Good luck and keep posting.

Dude, That is one excellent first carve! You got through one of the biggest problems, on your first carve, that new carvers face and that depth. Way to go!

Great carve! Nice style. Amazing that was your first one.
Look forward to seeing what you do next. keep it up!

Great job!
Kids are itching to do it as well. Mine learned the hard way , lol.

S

Excellent 1st Tiki! Way above normal on this guy for the first one.
LOOK out you might be hooked?

I was "Hooked" before I began... now I'm dreaming of Wood logs all over the place.... :)

My boys would love to give the angle grinder a try..... I don't think so... yet..... They plan on helping me with the next one though.. I'll let them do the chiseling...

Thanks for the encouraging posts everyone, I'll keep posting as I make em...

Aloha's

First big tiki? I'd say you've got a knack for this. Solid lines, symmetry and stance. I love the expression too.

I hope you find another log soon.

Great job! Enjoy it!

Realy kool Tiki , very nice.

First tiki no way,great stuff lets see some more.

A guy who picks an authentic classic for his first carving! The force is strong in you, my brother. Very good work, man.

B

So I finally was able to pick up another log the other day while I was upcountry.. There was a large fire there last year and now plenty of cut down tree's... The bark on the outside was burnt but it all came off very easy. I sketched my design last night and began carving this morning and got about this far in about 3 hours with the help of my axle grinder.. The mouth and eye's are what slow's me down..

T

AWESOME first carve man. And the 2nd is looking good. My 2 boys hang around too its a great feeln. And that is better than anything to know your boys are lookin up to you . Kepp up the work lookin forward to following your posts TIKI GODZ OUT111

B

Thankz TikiGodz... Oh yea my boys love to watch me carve and there on there way to starting one of there own..
I still have more sanding to do but here's a few shots from toady's progress.. Once you start it hard to stop..:wink:

T

Lookin. Good Bumz , You can see the detail your going for.. Its already showing bro
sittn here waitin for pics.

S

just discovered your thread, thanx for the pix. they look great.
hope to be in maui in jan. will stop by your shop....everybody needs a new beachtowel or something

aloha beachbumz!!! just saw your thread and took a look! WOW DUDE!! awsome first tiki love the desighn and style also the 2nd is kickin!!! cant wait to see him all dun up!! great carvin and keepem comin!! cheerz!

Okay well I got a little anxious this evening and decided to start staining my "pine" tiki..
I bought some Min Wax special walnut stain and the pine just sucked it up and turned it brown..
Yea I'm a novice at all this.... so who has stained pine before? should I use just a polyurathane clear coat maybe.. I wanted him a darker but not like brown paint.. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it..
Mahalo's

T

Beachbumz - that looks good. I just did one in pine this summer. Look at my thread and u can see the progress from my first coat of stain. Once u get a finish on it, it won't look like that brown paint anymore.

If you haven't gone any further than the pic you posted, you can sand down what you have stained so far and then thin your stain with mineral spirits and retry. It will come out lighter. Then you can build to a deeper finish if you want.

Good luck - it's lookin great.

Mahalo's TheBigT, not sure how I missed your work but there all awesome..
I managed this morning to get the stain off fairly easy, I'm not sure if I'm just going to thin the stain down a little or I read also that I could brush on a little diluted shellac sealer and than apply a stain..
I was trying to stay away from the high gloss look,kinda into the matte finish...
I can't wait to start on a harder wood log, have any of you carved kiawe wood?

BB

beachbumz!! looks like you got your stain thing figured out as i agree w all said (i carve lots of pine) as for a nice dull non reflective shine satin thane or spar 2 coats then buff that w 0000 super fine steel wool and then wax it has in my opinion a beautiful luster that almost looks like a well taken care of but old piece! cheerz!

T

On 2009-11-11 13:59, Beachbumz wrote:
Mahalo's TheBigT, not sure how I missed your work but there all awesome..
I managed this morning to get the stain off fairly easy, I'm not sure if I'm just going to thin the stain down a little or I read also that I could brush on a little diluted shellac sealer and than apply a stain..
I was trying to stay away from the high gloss look,kinda into the matte finish...
I can't wait to start on a harder wood log, have any of you carved kiawe wood?

BB

Thanks beachbumz. Nope haven't carved kiawe (or even heard of it). LOL Yes you could thin down either clear or regular shellac. You might try 4 to 1 or 5 to 1. Any thinner you might raise the wood grain. For a final finish just use a satin or semi-gloss if you don't want it shiny.

skootiki: definitely come by and see us that would be great! Thankx for the props...
So I got the stain on last night I decided to mix a little of the walnut stain with the spar urathene, I let it dry overnight and then re-sanded it a little more in some spots and applied more urethane with some red oak in it to off set the color a little.. It came out darker than I wanted but the wood filler I used on him looked better darker.. live and learn..
I'll take some pics tonight, Not sure If I'm going to buy some wax or go with the semi-gloss coating.. To complete him...
Here's a few shots of Kiawe wood, these trees grow along the coast here on the island..

BB

always thane first than if hes to shiny try the wax!! wax alone offers very little protection!! but protects and beautifies your finishes!! cheerz!

Well this is about as far as I got with my pictures tonight...

Battery ran out after first shot of mai tai... but dam it was a good one..

Till tomorrow, Aloha

BB

Do not mix stain and polyurethane - it just doesn't work the way shellac does (they sell that crap for people looking for a short cut - it worked great on my closet doors but not on my carvings). Stain is a tough nut to crack - ALWAYS do a test (on the same wood you are carving) if you are unsure how it will come out. Its easier to throw away a scrap and doesn't require hours of sanding if you don't like it. BTW - I love carving found wood!

T

On 2009-11-12 14:28, Beachbumz wrote:
Here's a few shots of Kiawe wood, these trees grow along the coast here on the island..

That's some nice stuff.

So after about 3 clear coats of semi-gloss and a little sanding between each coat... I'm calling him Pau!!
He came out darker and glossier than I wanted but I like him.. I think I'm going to try and find a harder wood log, this pine was still wet in the middle as I dug out his mouth which made it really hard to chisel correctly..

[ Edited by: Beachbumz 2009-11-14 23:23 ]

S

great work, Paul looks fantastic.

T

GREAT!!!! Job the shine looks really good. My name is Paul Im flattered hahahah

L

On 2009-11-14 13:33, Beachbumz wrote:

He looking very good! Congrats!

J.

Hey thanks for dakine words ohana... Paul, I guess that is his name now.. but FYI 'Pau' in Hawaiian means 'finished'...
Paul is happy to be part of the ohana as well.. (Family) :wink:

Aloha

BB

T

Came out great! Good Job.

S

Nice work on Pau! Looks like you are getting the satin/finish down also.

B

Look what Santa brought me for Christmas!!

and this little guy I found while cleaning them up...

Now I just have to wait for them to dry... :(

Just a couple new one's I've done over the past couple months...
"Fred" 4ft

"Sam" 14"

"Wainapa" 9"

"Maka" (not finished) about 2 1/2 ft

Aloha!

[ Edited by: beachbumz 2010-07-22 23:47 ]

Hellz Yea! Love the Moai's too!

A
amate posted on Sat, Jul 24, 2010 9:13 AM

On 2010-07-17 17:13, Beachbumz wrote:

"Wainapa" 9"

This guy seems alive! That's eerie. Very nice!!!

I like your new friends.

S

Right On! Looking good.
First time i have seen the GMAN foot shot with no shoes.(love it)

B

Thanks for the props guys... Barefoot is the only way to carve, if you don't mind a splinter or two :wink:, thanks god for the leather feet I have..
Just finished Maka after hours of sanding.. put a minwax natural on this one..

AlohA

Looks great! Nice grain, what kind of wood?

B

On 2010-08-01 21:08, 4WDtiki wrote:
Looks great! Nice grain, what kind of wood?

Mahalo Bill, I really wish I knew the type it was..I was hiking the other day and saw this skinny dried log laying on the side of the trail, I saw mr. moai immediately..:wink: I'd like to say it's koa since there were other koa tree's growing in the area, but really not sure...

Those are Peachy, Beachy!

Pages: 1 44 replies