Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

30Ft. Tiki In Carlsbad, Ca./ Live Date Palm!

Pages: 1 10 replies

TT

Just finishing, hopefully, the largest Live Tree Tiki in North America. The owner of California Water Sports asked me to carve into a 30Ft. Canary Island Date Palm visible from N. bound Intrste.5 just South of Tamarack exit in Carlsbad. Better known as the Jet Ski Lagoon. Photos on Website by Wednesday. If you're driving look for scaffolding. With head 50ft.

check out not-so-recent carvings at picturetrail.com keyword:tikicarver

[ Edited by: Tiki Tom on 2003-04-06 10:00 ]

Good luck on that one Tom. I've thought about carving a huge one. I wonder where the largest tiki is, probably Easter Island Moai's.

TT

You are probably right. The Moai' are my favorite of all. I started carving those heads out of palm a couple months ago. I've almost got them down. They're so basic, probably under 15 cuts total. What's really cool about the Moai', the further you move away from the sculpture the more prominent and real they become. How'd they know they'd look cool from a spaceship?????????

Tiki Tom, I've done a small one. It looked like a cartoon at first but it's grown on me. I have a blank 6 ft. palmwood that I might try with that style. There's this fear of cutting too deep and ruining it especially since completely dried palmwood logs are such a rarity around here.
Moai's and spaceships? They might have been carved as very large scarecrows to frighten approaching warriors.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-04-06 08:54 ]

TT

Yeah, I think the warrior theory holds alot more water, but I wanted to make it a bit more mysterious. Plus, These heads have been hanging out, with great patience. I wonder if the warriors to frighten off, were more common than the spaceships.... They're pretty remote....Hee

Are those your tikis on the "Tikis for sale in Anaheim Hills" thread?

TT

I don't know what you mean, therefore probably not,....

Look at the topic in this "Main Discussion Area" and click on the thread (under this thread we are on) that says "Tiki's for sale in Anaheim Hills"

TT

I'm sorry, no, not mine...

hmmm, the jungletrader is wrong again

T

On 2003-04-05 22:49, jungletrader wrote:
Good luck on that one Tom. I've thought about carving a huge one. I wonder where the largest tiki is, probably Easter Island Moai's.

The Moai aren't all THAT big - there are some unfinished ones in the quarry at Rano Raraku that top 30 ft., but most of the completed ones rangefrom only 5-6 ft., to about 15 or 18 ft.

...still very impressive!

Pages: 1 10 replies