Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Don Q Mai Kai Decanter, Coco Joes, Daga Mugs

Pages: 1 4 replies

E

Can anyone tell me anything about these? I am not normally a tiki collector, my wife inherited the Daga mugs, I found the Coco Joes figure at an estate sale, and I picked up the Don Q Mai Kai Decanter at an auction today. Are these worth anything? Especially interested in the Don Q piece - I don't see much about it or any for sale which makes me think either A) it is rare, or B)no one wants this type of thing. I see Coco Joes name out on ebay, as well as Daga, so I could figure out a value for these with enough digging, but I don't see anything for the other. Sorry about the pictures - I rotated them on my desktop, but when I uploaded them here they were not orientated right.

looking on Ooga Mooga there seems to be reproduction of the decanter and vintage ones, I'd say your is an original one.

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/search.cgi?terms=Mai+Kai+Decanter&des_id=any&man_id=any&img_id=any&shp_id=any&clr_id=any&details=yes&mode=search_process&x=36&y=16

[ Edited by: Lightning Steve 2009-05-30 21:55 ]

Coco Joe is a common find. The Daga mugs are also very common. The decanter being an original is much harder to find plus with the Mai Kai connection, original label and original hang tag it's a great find.

E

Thanks for the link to the other site! Any suggestions on the best way to sell the decanter? List it on ebay? Still not sure of the worth, hate to list something that does not sell.

L

You really are not going to get a straight answer on what its worth because everyone has a different idea of that--even with a site such as Ooga-Mooga giving you some insight into what people have paid for an item in the past.

I sell on Ebay quite often and my advice is put it up for what you paid for it as a starting price. At the very least you don't seem to really want it so you can make back what you paid.

Ebay is hit or miss -- esp since there is no way of knowing if anyone will want what you are buying regardless of what it might be.

I have had auctions at different times for the same tiki item and gotten different results so its a crapshoot.

If you want to sell on Ebay then its taking a chance that you could bank or make nothing back.

Good luck to ya!

Pages: 1 4 replies