Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Seattle, June 8-19

Pages: 1 11 replies

C

I'll be up in Seattle for a union convention for two weeks, and would love to meet some TCers up there. I'm not sure what evenings I might have convention-related networking to do, but I should have a fair amount of free evenings. Anyone interested in showing me any good tiki or tropical themed bars, or waterfront bars and restaurants? Short of that, any recommendations? I know I can get the latter from other threads on this site and from critiki, but any added info would be welcome.

D

i'll pm you my number ~ we can have a cocktail hour here.

at the moment im freakishly busy,so i dont have time to list all the places to hit while youre here.

hulahula is getting to be as lame as tiki bob's cantina (although Hulahula has a custom mug)

for delicious meals & drinks & great decor: ama ama
happyhours: west 5, bush gardens
oysters/waterfront dining: elliots
fantastic PNW Decor/fish/waterfront (lake) dining: Ivar's Salmon House
weekend breakfast: Luna Park, ask for Sweetpea as your server

hopefull the others will chime in.
elicia

RR

Cocktails in Seattle:

ZIG ZAG, LIBERTY, TINI BIGS (If Jamie is bartending)

Food/w good cocktails SPUR GASTROPUB SPRING HILL

breakfast The FIVE SPOT, PORTAGE BAY & LUNA PARK

W

Being essentially lazy I was hoping dogbytes would answer.

What she says is true. (She also probably knows every fancy place worth eatin' at in town. SO bug her for info. I can tell you where there's cheap beer.)

Some of what's worth seeing or eating may depend on where you're staying. (If you're near Seatac you're achulky a fair distance from Seattle proper.)

But it would only take a full afternoon (with a car) to see all of Seattle's "Tiki" bars because there's little reason to stay very long at any of them. Unless you dig crappy music, half assed drinks, and generally typical Seattle surly service. Hula Hula at least usually has good service.

C

On 2009-06-02 22:11, woofmutt wrote:

But it would only take a full afternoon (with a car) to see all of Seattle's "Tiki" bars because there's little reason to stay very long at any of them. Unless you dig crappy music, half assed drinks, and generally typical Seattle surly service. Hula Hula at least usually has good service.

I don't plan to rent a car, but some of the other attendees at the convention probably will, and a few will be locals. On the middle weekend, I'll try to organize such a crawl. I'll hit HH for sure, if only to get the mug. Ama Ama, elliot's and Ivar's all sound like good bets as well [anything with water views makes up for pretty much all faults]. With luck I'll be able to convince some of the other delegates to run around to Zig Zag and Liberty and some of DB's and RR's other suggestions during the weeks. Thanks to all three of you.

Ama Ama is great for the decor, but isn't tiki

The best drinks in town are at the Rongo Rongo room, unless of course the Riviera Room is
serving Blue Hawaiians...

D

where is your convention?

D

if you like divebars ~ Monkeyskull is the man to travel with. here's his blog for a good read
http://projectkbar.blogspot.com/

oh and Slims Last Chance & Pig Iron for BBQ and PBR.

W

"...The Riviera Room is
serving Blue Hawaiians..."

I've heard the Riviera Room's Blue Hawaiian is achulky green and apparently they don't give a crap about the color being oh so wrong...They actually flaunt it!

S

green blue hawaiians...
fine by me!
can I have one now?
pleeeeeease?

C

On 2009-06-03 08:51, dogbytes wrote:
where is your convention?

At the Westin. It's the ILWU [longshore workers' union} annual convention.

W

The Westin is the grave site of Seattle's Trader Vic's. You'll be easy walking distance from O'Hana and Lava Lounge. (Both OK looking and generally lousy otherwise.) It's a slightly longer walk to Hula Hula or a cheap cab ride. Even further to Tiki Bob's, but if you wanted to go there you wouldn't be on Tiki Central.

Pages: 1 11 replies