Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

big tiki mug shelf or bar back on ebay

Pages: 1 17 replies

K

Hello TCers here is a new style of bar back I made. It is a lot bigger and holds more mugs, rum or whatever. Hope you like here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2822729196&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

D

oooh! very nice! and.. zoikes, its sold already!

i snoozed. i was looking for a tape measure to see where that shelf might fit..

alas.

hopefully, you'll make more!!

K

dogbytes- Thanks, I just listed another one on ebay here is the link. The pictures are not as good because I had to take them in my dim house.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2823240799&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

Yes, your stuff is very nice. I can't afford it right now, but you should concider setting up shop, so people don't have to go through ebay to buy your stuff. If you already have a shop, will you be attending mondo tiki in vegas and show you stuff?

Thanks

L
Luki posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 7:12 AM

Are you going to make / post more of these??

A6

K

Monitors- Bill and I are curently working on a website. That will have his art and my carvings on it. I to am tired of ebay. I probably wont attend mondo tiki. Between work and carving I cant find the time.
A6louie- I am working on another shelf. I should have it done tonight or tomorrow. I will post it when I am done.

L
laney posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 1:43 PM

Keigs, I found TC last year while doing a search for Witco after buying my 2nd bar set. I found nothing on the company and would love for there to be a website (or part of a website) with the history, vintage pieces, and catalog pics. I think that would be amazing and I'd be willing to send you pictures of any/all my Witco including 3 different bars (5 one style tiki stools & 2 another style), a large shield and spears, 4 hanging tiki heads, a bar shelf, the firedancers lamp, King and Queen, and (still ??? if Witco) Hawaiian Island carvings. It dosen't look like Sven is comming out with that book anytime soon and it would be nice for non-collectors to know what a family tradition you are carrying on as well as having reference for Witco collectors.

[ Edited by: Laney on 2003-04-09 13:47 ]

Damn Laney! Where the hell are you finding all that Witco?

K

Holy smokes Laney your are loaded with Witco decor. We are starting out with a small website to see how it goes. If all goes well there will be lots of information on Witco and pictures of vintage Witco decor as the site grows. I am not much of a computer genius so it will be a basic website at first.
A6Louie- I finished another shelf here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2823650944&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1

B

Hey Ken,
While in Florida last December I was lucky to have found a pair of vintage Witco wall hangings. They look like long paddles with Tikis on top. Problem is, they spent much of their life on the exterior of a Tiki bar exposed to that intense Florida sun. Now they are considerably faded- especially when seen next to other well preserved pieces. What can I do to bring them back? Is there a particular stain or oil I should use to get them closest to their origional color? I want them to look their best, any suggestions?

K

Boutiki- It says in the Witco catalog you can use dark shoe polish, india ink, or any dark stain for touching up fading. Try it on a small portion that is not very visable first to see how it looks.

F

feed n wax works very well..

K

I know your wall space is limited so here is a corner shelf I made. Hope you like. here is the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20157&item=2824206668&rd=1

B

Wow, thanks keigs20! How did you know my place was so small? My wife just fell in love with that shelf...great work.

[ Edited by: bamzeno on 2003-04-12 22:49 ]

I went through Bob's (OA) Witco cats. a while back to try to find the bar we got. It was not in ant of them. Did they do custom bars too? (it's more spanish medalionish 4 pannel type 6'top) We got it from a lady who bought it back in the 60's in Seattle. The stools are the real deal.

K

Hey bamzeno, my place is small also. Good luck.
BambooBen- I know Bill has made custom tables and tikis for people. If you post a picture I can have him look at it and get you some info.

[ Edited by: keigs20 on 2003-04-13 15:07 ]

RevBambooBen wrote:
I went through Bob's (OA) Witco cats...to find the bar we got. It was not in any of them. Did they do custom bars too?...We got it from a lady who bought it back in the 60's in Seattle.

RevBamBen~

Here is a copy of my post from 1/17/03 from another thread about Witco items:

Keigs~
In speaking with some Witco owners who previously owned furniture stores way-back-when, they mentioned that Witco would sometimes create "one-off" pieces to be shown at different (larger) retail locations and "furniture shows" in order to test consumer response. If there was enough interest, then the "one-off" piece would be mass produced. Can you see if that was actually true? I have seen a couple of pieces that supposidely are one-of-a-kind Witco's.
I tend to believe that it could be true, since I previously had a retail store before, and learned that one-off's/prototypes to test consumer response are very common in just about all retail industries.
SugarCaddyDaddy

Since this January thread, I have spoke to 3 additional people who also had supposide non-cataloged items, and they themselves were either from the Seattle area, worked in the furniture business in the Seattle area, or had family from the Seattle area, who obtained supposide non-mass produced Witco items.

This seems to support my own personal theory of "one-off" pieces being produced, then introduced to the marketplace with a less-than-desirable response for more pieces, and then never made any more quantities of maybe 1 or 2 pieces.

The people I spoke with seem to remember, but cannot say definitely, that their items were obtained from furniture stores that had the Witco's as a single or display piece, then as a mark-down item to clear the floor for other pieces of furniture (other than Witco).

Tracing the whereabouts of the origin of Witco's isn't easy. I can't even remember where I bought my regular 'ol couch, so getting people to remember where they bought their Witco from over 25+ years ago usually get's an "I dunno" answer. It does seem, though, that the Witco's obtained from the Seattle area, tend to either be from the original owners or the owners family that inherited the piece.

My 2 coconuts worth.

WitcoCadoDado

D

Is there any resource info on Witco? This is all I have been able to find, and I know it's not available yet?
"TIKI MODERN: THE WITCO WORLD OF THE CONTEMPORARY IDOL"
by Sven Kirsten (author of "The Book of Tiki")
A comprehensive monograph on William Westenhaver and his art & design company WITCO. Featuring 112 pages of biographical information, never before seen photographs, advertising material, art and carvings. Includes a chapter on the contemporary artist BOSKO and his WITCO inspired carvings. Plus a special section on how to carve your own tiki! http://www.outregallery.com/frames.html When will it be available?

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-04-13 15:19 ]

Pages: 1 17 replies