Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Moai Masks- Whatcha think?

Pages: 1 15 replies

K

I call tham "Island Moai". Loosely based on the Easter Island Moai.

I'm anxious for feedback, since I want to market them on a very limited basis.

They're 13.5 inches tall, 10.5 inches front to back, 8.5 inches wide, and 1/8th inch thick cast latex rubber, and professionally finished in a very stone-like texture. They can be either worn, or stuffed and displayed. (Indoors is best, since rubber doesn't hold up well outdoors.)

Please post here, or message me with your comments.

Kewlava- (aka Kelly)

I think it's cool and a great idea... Tiki freaks need Halloween masks too, so you're fulfilling a kind of consumer demand here. Very nice! One thing I'd do is make the ears much longer like the Easter Island heads....

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2009-06-03 15:13 ]

M

make the head longer as well with a narrower forhead if possible.

otherwise I get a Frankenstein vibe from it.

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 3:38 PM

I see as much a man as a moai and as a mask, it looks very scary. Just its blank eye sockets alone are scary. Much good photoshops could be devized

C

I agree with monkey....stretch out the mouth into a bit more of a frown...and maybe build out the ears to match the form of a moai more and you will loose the rock covered Frankenstein feel. Was this mask at Monsterpolloza this past weekend?

K

Thanks gang!
I would have liked it to have had a tall, slimmer head too, but that wouldn't fit a human very well. It would also not be as affordable.
I agree, that it needs longer ears (for some reason I overlooked that). Maybe I'll make the mouth more pronounced too.
I have more designs planned. Wooden Tiki styles too.

Opinions?

Kewlava

L

Ya know...it kinda looks like my ex boyfriend :wink:

I agree with the ears and perhaps more of an elongated head--as best you can maybe you could play around with some more.

I think you are heading in the right direction and what you have is very well done.

N
Naneki posted on Wed, Jun 3, 2009 4:29 PM

On 2009-06-03 14:35, Kewlava wrote:

I'm anxious for feedback, since I want to market them on a very limited basis.

Shouldn't this be in the Punk Thread? It looks like Henry Rollins.

On 2009-06-03 14:35, Kewlava wrote:

......or loosely based on my luau lantern design....

K

Cool lantern Tipsy!

After considering this mask, I've decidid the Easter Island Moai has been done a lot, so I think I'll go with a tiki style that will lend itsself better to being a mask. That way I won't need to compromize the design just so it fits on a human head.

Kelly

TM

I agree - longer ears.

I's also like to see another angle or two before saying more.

They look basically like a fairly normal head that has been pushed in the Moai direction, rather than a more deliberately Moai head. Nothing wrong with that - perfectly valid approach, but that's how I'd describe what I see.

BT

Henry Rollins finally carved in stone :)

I like it.

S

I was thinking Brock Lesner!! LOL

K

Okay, I get the idea!
Stylization isn't what you're looking for. I'm working on some new designs that are
archaeologically correct. Stay tuned!

Kelly

On 2009-06-04 08:00, Kewlava wrote:

After considering this mask, I've decidid the Easter Island Moai has been done a lot, so I think I'll go with a tiki style that will lend itsself better to being a mask.

...a wise move indeed.....lookin forward to it.

Very kool .

Pages: 1 15 replies