Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Tony Alva a Tikiphile?

Pages: 1 2 replies

I just saw the movie "Dogtown and the Z Boys" about the early dogbowl skate crew and the advent of Dogtown and modern skateboarding...lots of greats like Peralta, Adams, Alva, Hawk, Muir, Etc. When they interviewed Tony Alva at his home there was a great tiki in the background...Surfer's aesthetic or a genuine fascination? That is the question...

Genuine prop. I saw the film when it came out and went to a signing of Friedman's book (Same title as film). Alva was there, so I asked. The response, "It was some house in Simi Valley (So Cal near a skate park called Skatelab) and Stecyk pulled it out of the shrubs." Later, at a surf retrospective at a Laguna Museum, I asked Stecyk, who was happy that it was noticed, and he gave the same story. So...it was luck of the draw that the house with a pool happened to have a tiki and someone thought it worth pulling the shrubs off it to make it visible. Made me happy too, though.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Apr 7, 2003 8:55 PM

I need to see that. I was a big Dogtown man in the 70's and have the scars and busted wrists to prove it. Alva was my hero. I sold my vintage, first edition Alva Skate on Ebay about a year ago for $300...

Pages: 1 2 replies