Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

i love jimmy buffett

Pages: 1 13 replies

Well, ok, maybe just the song "Math Sucks", but I'm curious as to why everybody seems to have a strong distaste for him.

-LT

L

i am so over reading this sort of thread. why cant we just all read this and move on???????

The Tiki that Tiki Central focuses on is a mid-century American invention that is Polynesia-inspired. We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided. The definitive guide is The Book Of Tiki, and we highly recommend that everyone on Tiki Central get the book and read up.

What Tiki Central Isn't
Everyone here at Tiki Central is passionate about the Polynesian Pop movement. While the exact edges are blurry, we can give you a bit of insight into what Tiki Central is not about:

It’s not about Jimmy Buffett and Parrotheads
It’s not modern plastic, brightly-colored tiki party decorations
It’s not about the Caribbean/Key west design aesthetic
It’s not about Reggae
It’s not about African-art inspired masks/carvings/design
It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks
It's not about simply anything that has a tiki on it or in it
It is okay to like one or more of the above and be a member of Tiki Central, just remember that it's not our focus. There are plenty of places on the web for that. We encourage new users who may not know what Tiki is to read up, search our forums, and ask questions.

Having never heard a Jimmy Buffet song in my life I have no opinion on whether his music is Tiki or not. But having been part of Tiki Central for many years I can voice opinion on most of the Buffet fans that post here in general they are a bunch of flame war starting trolls who are in some cases out and out bigots.

Lock and Delete this threat please!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2009 6:31 AM

Jimmy, if you're reading this, I take back everything bad I ever said about your voice sounding like the lower register of Indian singers and I will be glad for the Crazed Mugs to open up for you anywhere, anytime as your crowd will love our songs; especially the ones about bars and the ones about murder.

Call me.

B

In the 80's my wife was on stage as "Lettuce" at one of his concerts.

I married her anyway.

But as for the whole Tiki not Tiki thing....Blah, Blah, Blah.

I only collect genuine Polynesian artifacts that have been scrutinized and certified by a team of professional archaeologists, mixologists, and Uberologists.

On 2009-06-03 22:59, leleliz wrote:
It’s not about Margaritas and tequila-based drinks

I'll give you the Margaritas, they are older than most people think and pre-date all of the MCM stuff that excites us.

Tequila-based drinks on the other hand..... Trader Vic has some wonderful tequila based drinks in his book and no one disputes Vic on the subject of Tiki regardless of which definition of Tiki is used.

And, as for Parrotheads and the JB in general.... if you like the JB then by all means keep listening. No one here is going to be able to tell you what you like and don't like, nor should they try.

atomictonytiki wrote:
most of the Buffet fans that post here in general they are a bunch of flame war starting trolls who are in some cases out and out bigots.

pot calling the kettle black?

I am stoked to see that there is another Jimmy Buffett thread!! It is all way too educational. "Pretzels give you plaque"

On 2009-06-04 09:02, The Sperm Whale wrote:
"Pretzels give you plaque"

Really? They give me gas.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong.......

L

On 2009-06-04 09:02, The Sperm Whale wrote:
"Pretzels give you plaque"

I know I didn't get much sleep last night but when I just read this I was asking myself--Really? They do? and spent 15 minutes googling this thought.

Spermy dont screw with my mind like that!!

If you're interested in the general attitudes, you can search Tiki Central's archives and read up on past discussion. It's been discussed before, to death, and at quite often hurts people's feelings.

This is why, in the Mission Statement I specifically say it's not about Jimmy buffet. You're allowed to hate JB, and you're allowed to love JB. But TC is not the place for discussion about it.

Let's leave it at that, shall we? :)

~Hanford

I am looking forward to Tiki Farm's Jimmy Buffett mug....BAHAW!

I will admit I mainly did it because someone suggested it to me in another thread, so, my curiosity sparked and I HAD to find out for myself. I thought he punted a tiki into a vat of urine and feces or something. Interesting to see everyone get so worked up over a simple question.

-LT

It is also explained in the Book of Tiki. :)

Pages: 1 13 replies