Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Why do I buy so many Tiki Farm mugs

Pages: 1 2 47 replies

CJ

I'll start with the heart and the obvious emotion put into their pieces.

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-06-05 00:12 ]

You gotta be kidding. You're kidding, right?

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2009 3:31 AM

"the obvious greed of money"

When your talking $12.95 for a tiki mug when other companies are throwing up number like $100.00 or higher, they seem like the most likely without greed.

CJ

There's plenty of mugs out there that are high quality mugs.

It's great to have a company produce stuff we all love.

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-06-04 03:42 ]

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-06-04 03:46 ]

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2009-06-05 00:14 ]

B

Put down the crack pipe dude!

I do not get that impression and have spoken and dealt with them often and found them to have integrity. I spoke with Holden the other day and priced out ordering some custom mugs and found it very reasonable and although I have not met him personally (that I know of) he came across as a nice, stand-up guy. The Mai-Kai has been doing business with him for many moons and speaks highly of him and that says alot, to me at least.

If you are serious I might suggest your post comes across as a bit malicious and mean spirited. Bad Karma.

I think they have a great range of products, prices, designs and services and personally I like Tiki Farm! There may be pieces of Tiki Mug Art that are higher priced because of the design that went into it or the Artist that created it. You don't like it, Don't buy it. There are plenty of paintings out there that people think are wonderful and that are extremely expensive and there are sidewalk artist offering reasonably priced art.

I would answer your question with a question..... Why would you make such a post? Whats the point.
If you have an axe to grind or feel as though you have been wronged by them, this is not the appropriate or mature way to deal with it.

It's disappointing.

This is a joke....right? I mean...seriously!

I actually just went to their website to see if maybe something changed that I was not aware of. Nope, Still good. Matter of fact....I ordered a new mug! Ha! you got me! This is a publicity stunt isn't it? Brilliant!

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2009-06-04 05:02 ]

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2009-06-04 05:11 ]

Yes there are plenty of other places out there to get mugs...but not everyone wants to shop the big 3...Target, Walmart and Big Lots.

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2009 6:13 AM

Well, to tell the truth, Holden needs money for his fleet of yachts.

Each yacht is crafted by a few hundred Nicaraguan carvers from mahogany and teak inlaid with antique ivory.

Pay your money - drink your drink and know that somewhere, Holden is laughing maniacally at just how much of a sucker you are for spending money on something you don't even need at all.

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2009 7:14 AM

On 2009-06-04 06:13, pablus wrote:

Each yacht is crafted by a few hundred Nicaraguan carvers from mahogany and teak inlaid with antique ivory.

Don't forget the nubile virgins he uses as wait and kitchen staff on those yachts.

:)

Please have a heart and sell me all of the mugs you have, created by Tiki Farm, for a non greedy 1/8 of their current value.

Thank you.

R

whoooaa,
i will be getting back to this one as soon as i have time to sit down and write something.
no --i'll do it now---tiki farm is a business-- in business to make money or at the very least
keep the doors open-- i know holden has made great personal sacrifices to create tiki farm and
establish himself as the #1 tiki mug manufacturer in the world.he is one of the most generous individuals
that i have ever known and i feel his prices are some of the most reasonable and in most cases the
least expensive available and the quality has always been a-1.i really hope that this post is a bad
night of drinking and that you will see things differently in the daylight..remember---aloha spirit!!!

Since I primarily collect vintage mugs, I for one can say I am very happy Tiki Farm exists. The production of new mugs by any manufacturer keeps the availabilty of product fluid and provides a wider selection and variety of choices to select from. I find I have less competition finding vintage because of the newer ones being produced that are readily available to a market not inclined to seek out older items.

I also have quite a few Tiki Farm mugs in my collection. I can't think of one I own I don't like or think I paid too much for. The sheer volume of selection should satisfy just about anyone who collects or admires mugs. The price for the product sold is probably the least expensive out there, behind Dynasty.

I too have met Holden. He came up to Sacramento last year for our Swantiki event and in my opinion, was a warm and friendly guy, easy to talk to and extremely down to earth. I was a little frustrated with how long it took for our event mugs to be produced, but not knowing the process, I received an education that I ended up apologizing for.

So Holden, if you read this, know that even though I prefer vintage I admire your efforts and the talent you and your company exude. Many, many more year of success and mug manufacturing; eventually Tiki Farm will be vintage and a whole new generation of collectors will be seeking it out as so.

Tiki Farm does not suck! Quite the contrary and I am not even sure why anyone would want to express that.

PTD

My grown up side says..

"Dear gods what is up with this board today, so many negative posts. Everybody should stop poop flinging and leave the trolls alone."

My Monkey Brain shouts..

"Holden ROCKS Coco Joe SUCKS!!!"

JB

Is Tiki Central turning into a reality TV show, with artificially overblown drama? I am always in support of constructive criticism, constant back-slapping gets boring, and I love a good argument --but you gotta start with a good argument, not just an incendiary one liners.

Maybe this is a good point in time to announce that I am partnering with Holden and Tiki Farm to produce a new line of Tiki ceramics based on classic Tiki culture and authentic Oceanic Art. I am looking forward and am grateful for the opportunity to contribute my knowledge and experience in creating new Tiki artifacts. :)

JB

On 2009-06-04 08:59, bigbrotiki wrote:

Maybe this is a good point in time to announce that I am partnering with Holden and Tiki Farm to produce a new line of Tiki ceramics based on classic Tiki culture and authentic Oceanic Art. I am looking forward and am grateful for the opportunity to contribute my knowledge and experience in creating new Tiki artifacts. :)

Nice!

You heartless, greedy fool!

First you make us PAY for your books, and now you conspire to make us pay for a historically inspired drinking vessel?

What's the world coming to? Before you know it, people will start charging us to have them fill the drinking vessel with an appropriate beverage!

T

Wow.

I'd rather not touch this topic with a ten foot pole, but I have to chime in.

I may not agree with all of Holden's business decisions, but that doesn't really matter because Tiki Farm is not my business.

Holden has made incredibly kind gestures at two of of the lowest points of my life. I'm sure he remembers what he did after my house was partially destroyed, but the other was a small thing that he did for me two years ago that pulled me out of the depths of despair and made me feel like I could face the world again.

I've been pretty out of the loop lately, but I can't imagine what on earth he has done to inspire this thread.

"...lack of heart and obvious greed of [sic] money."

What drugs are you on, Coco Joe?
My first meeting with Holden was when I stopped off at The Farm on a trip through SoCal in 2003. (This was before I was singing with Drasnin; I was just a nobody from Tiki Central.) He gave me so many mugs, including a SHAG one leftover from MondoTiki, that they had to be shipped home for me. He paid for the shipping! I was almost embarrassed at his generosity.

The greedy motherf***er.
It's ALL about the money indeed!

Tiki Farm fills a niche. It's a BUSINESS. And he's staying in business, which these days says he's smart. He makes unnecessary, non-life-saving drinking vessels, fer-cryin'-out-loud. And his costs are VERY low. He does so by having them made in Mexico. Munktiki is another niche. They are staying in business too, also by selling non-essential drinking vessels, which means they are also doing something right. Theirs are more costly because they are casting them by hand at home in their own studio, a tedious, time-consuming affair. They are art objects.

None of these people are stinking rich.
I think they all deserve to be!!
At least, they deserve to make as much money as some of the losers out there who work ...... I'm just getting mad now.

QUIT THE POO FLINGING, PEOPLE!!
I've been away from TC a lot recently, because it's full of so much of this useless crap!
I think I'll go away again for a while.
Later.
F

SD

As a fellow business owner who dabbles in the tiki world I feel I'd like to voice my opinion.

I think that this is a totally inappropriate subject on a forum in which the owner and employees and cohorts of this business are present. I think it is potentially damaging to their business reputation and is quite honestly slander.

If you don't like their product, don't buy it!

Jen

Yikes!

When a certain someone wakes up they might be thinking "Well I guess I really didn't need to start this thread." or at least I hope so. Most people are thinking clearly at "02:53 am" right?

I like Tiki Farm a lot, they've exposed me to some artists I didn't know of (Sam Gambino, Derek Yaniger, Squid) and they make a lot of really cool things ~

As for as being greedy, I haven't seen it, every time I've been to Tiki Farm usually for a great party, I leave with something that was just given to me, no strings, no attitude just "Please have this." that's a great business model as far as I'm concerned.

Although the insistence of taking home a Don Ho Double Old Fashioned glass every visit may be a bit over the top. :lol:

T

OY VAY....

Since I know Coco Joe, I'm going to guess he's guilty of P.U.I (Posting Under the Influence), given the time of his post.

Joe, I'm guessing when you wake up, you'll feel really stupid about this post....at least I hope so.

A

I've bought quite a few Tiki Farm mugs. Never had a problem with a single one. Never had a problem with shipping or ordering. Two years ago I went to their parking lot sale and they were selling mugs for $5 and bowls for $10. They reproduce old mugs (Trader Vic's, Bali Hai, Don the Beachcomber), they commission new artists, and they sell mugs at a reasonable price. I can't imagine what else you'd want in a tiki mug manufacturing company.

On 2009-06-04 02:53, Coco Joe wrote:
I'll start with the lack of heart and the obvious greed of money.

if you don't like them don't buy them. that is how capitalism works.
most manufacturers price point their items at a certain level so that they can:

1. make a profit.
  2. not undercut their wholesale customers.

unfortunately tiki mugs are both heavy and fragile so shipping is always going to suck.

my only complaint would be that they announce their parking lot sales further in advance so i can plan a vacation around it.

i don't know the guy, i've only ordered once from the website, but i have a score or so of their mugs that i have bought from their wholesale customers (otto's, tiki lee) for half the price (if you count shipping) from the site.

On 2009-06-04 10:27, tikiyaki wrote:
OY VAY....

Since I know Coco Joe, I'm going to guess he's guilty of P.U.I (Posting Under the Influence), given the time of his post.

Joe, I'm guessing when you wake up, you'll feel really stupid about this post....at least I hope so.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Well, Joe might feel bad about it, but Holden and Tikifarm should be loving this post. Look at how many posts have come up in defense of Tiki Farm and Holden. Even the stupid ones like mine.**

**I've never met you face to face Holden, so I wasn't defending you. I was just being my usual self and seeing if I could start the derail. I consider it a kind of love..... you get to decide what kind.

On 2009-06-04 10:31, Chip and Andy wrote:

I wouldn't feel too bad about it.

Well, Joe might feel bad about it, but Holden and Tikifarm should be loving this post. Look at how many posts have come up in defense of Tiki Farm and Holden. Even the stupid ones like mine.**

Oh hell! Holden is gonna get a whole new line of Coco Joe mugs out of this.
Holden, sign me up for three of them!

On 2009-06-04 09:53, Skinny Dog wrote:
As a fellow business owner who dabbles in the tiki world I feel I'd like to voice my opinion.

I think that this is a totally inappropriate subject on a forum in which the owner and employees and cohorts of this business are present. I think it is potentially damaging to their business reputation and is quite honestly slander.

If you don't like their product, don't buy it!

Jen

Exactly...nough said...time to lock the thread!!!!!!!! :evil:

What's wrong with making a profit, Coco Joe? That's why people take risks and go into business. It takes balls and brains, and if someone has the balls and brains to make an honest profit, then they deserve to prosper - and profit OBSCENELY if at all possible. This way, they can employ others too. You are obviously jealous of success.

Holden's a great guy. You might do well to get to know him before you open your mouth. Cheerio, my friend!

I am just popping in to see the "Trainwreck"

I understand...here is an example of the " obvious greed of money"...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30733&forum=5&vpost=454561&hilite=swantiki

The Swantiki event mug...A whopping $10.00 each. So expensive that I could only afford 4 of them.

Wait a minute...I only had enough room in my closet for 4 of them!

Greedy bastard! Wait a minute, that's what they call me!

PTD

I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on this post. I know Joe knows better. Anyone who has met Holden knows that when it comes to tiki mugs, he's like a little kid in a candy store..so much excitement comes through. So if you mean they suck because you are jealous, then yeah. I wish I loved my job as much as Holden loves his. But then I could come up with a whole list of TC people/business that "suck"..purely out of jealousy of course.

On 2009-03-13 12:09 am, squid wrote:

I have sculpted other artists' designs for them on a freelance basis only until the beginning of this year when I decided to cease working with Tiki Farm altogether.

After reading this thread, I've worked up an appetite.
Hey Washington TCer's , ever try try this place?
Coco Joe's Tropical Inland Restaurant

I guess this should have gone under, "Locating Tiki".
sorry

RR

On 2009-06-04 06:13, pablus wrote:

Pay your money - drink your drink and know that somewhere, Holden is laughing maniacally at just how much of a sucker you are for spending money on something you don't even need at all.

What are you talking about, he goes and hunts elephants in Africa to get new ivory for his yachts.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Jun 4, 2009 12:07 PM

Newton's Third Law: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
So if Tiki Farm sucks, does Coco Joe blow...?!?

sorry bout that

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-06-04 12:46 ]

[ Edited by: TIKIVILLE 2009-06-04 12:19 ]

Holden, well I'll say this last summer I was skateboarding and my wheels dug into some fresh asphalt ,I fell and skinned my knee ... It stung and just when I was about to cry for my mommy ( are you listening coco ?) Holden* was right there with some anti-bacterial wipes and a clean band-aid with a hand drawn tiki on it! He walked me to the corner store and bought me a coke too (I felt all better) now I'm not saying I'll never sell this band aid as a TIKI collectible on ebay just that I think Holden is a swell fella and thats my 2 bits!

(*the writer does not endorse the dangerous folly of skateboarding nor the unsolicited assistance to a minor,all names and locations have been changed to protect the innocent.As well the skateboarding advisery board promotes safe riding and suggests that all riders walk their coarse to avoid hidden hazards ...Holden may not always be there )

TIKI FARM is a great place to shop and Holden an asset to this culture called TIKI
Mahalo and stay classy !

Yikes! This is not a happy topic. I love my T/F stuff.....Including my Wedding Ring. Holden is a great guy and I wish I had half his drive and success. He is also a huge reason why our little cult is so much fun. Let's all just play nice here and get along.

Feel that strongly about it, huh?

Your internets are broken because your repeating yourself. You should get that checked out.

Coco Joe, put down the bad Jose Cuervo Tequila and pick up the rum bottle, you'll feel much better.. It's poisoning what's left of the noggin..

Holden is a sweet guy, I met him at Loren's place and at a party. He loves designing tiki mugs, he's easy going and down to earth.

Yes, Tiki Farm is a business. I for one am happy that everything to do with tiki is not stricktly vintage. I love the vintage "finds" and treasures, but if someone doesn't create new Tiki, the old will eventually wither away and die, no matter how much we try to save it. If it isn't for entrepenours like Holden, who is going to keep the Tiki Spirit alive and renewed?

I'm sure Holden has to put up with a ton of business headaches that most of us don't even think about. To say they "suck" is just an ignoramous statement. If you don't like Tiki Farm, don't buy from them. But don't just throw out idiot statements like that to create an uproar. That serves no purpose.

And Tiki Farm has come a long way from their humble beginnings. As in any business, if you have a passion for something, you will make improvements over time.

I like Tiki Farm and I'm glad they are doing a good business. Who wouldn't rather be making money creating Tiki mugs? Sounds like a wonderful job to me!

I heard a rumor that Tiki Farm is working on a Jimmy Buffett mug...

Well I don't think this is a negative topic. It actually turned into a love fest for Tiki Farm. I just hope Holden read beyond the idiotic statement by Coco.

Poly Pop is not about enjoying the pretty sunset and ocean that belongs to all of us. Poly Pop was created. Created to draw people in with the intent to make money while maybe having some fun with the fantasy.

Enjoy your crappy Chinese tiki mugs from Big Lots. And enjoy your ever popular plastic tiki mug from the party store, that does indeed cost one dollar. That will show Tiki Farm whose boss Coco.

L

The reason why I love threads like this is it compels everyone to throw in their 2 cents. I think some people on here don't comment on threads enough so its good to see you voicing your opinion .Then others of you its really awesome to see you "stir the pot" so to speak...keeps me entertained and reminds me of high school. Really takes me back so thanks!

Let's just lock this stupid thread.

We're obviously not going to change Coco Joe's mind anytime soon.

Also, I suggest you take a look at Coco Joe's contributions on Kirby's thread in the General Tiki forum.

Pages: 1 2 47 replies