Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Mark Ryden

Pages: 1 16 replies

R
Rain posted on Sun, Apr 6, 2003 11:33 AM

has finally posted images from his new "Blood" show on his site! also, a photo of his "Eyegg" in the 'events' section of the site.

http://www.markryden.com

Provocative. His art makes me feel uneasy and uncomfortable. But I guess that's part of what being an artist is about. Provoking some sort of reaction or emotion.

T

I agree, JT. While they are certainly provocative and visually interesting, I can't image putting any of these on my wall to enjoy. Now, if I could only afford one of his "Exotica" prints. I think that's probably my favorite tiki image of all time.

Thanks for the hint! I totally forgot about his site bc he barely updates it...

Tiki-bot, I share your sentiments entirely. I love all of Ryden's work, but most of it isn't exactly what I'd put on my walls either. I do have the Exotica prints though, and they are my favorite wall hangings bar none. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't admire them and appreciate how fortunate I was to be able to get them.

I absolutely love all of his work especially of the kreepy little animals that he incorporates into his work. I've started collecting them - Rushton animals and Edward Mobley. The bunnies are my favorites. His works are such a visual circus to behold.

I would like to ask him about his fascination with Abraham Lincoln though. Once a figure you saw in almost every one of his paintings.

C

On 2003-04-09 12:11, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I've started collecting them - Rushton animals and Edward Mobley. The bunnies are my favorites.

I never noticed those bunnies before and saw one this weekend at an antique store. Seemed like it was straight out of the Cloven Bunny but didn't look like Rushton or Mobley. It was very creepy!

T

On 2003-04-09 07:02, Suburban Hipster wrote:
Tiki-bot, I do have the Exotica prints though, and they are my favorite wall hangings bar none. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't admire them and appreciate how fortunate I was to be able to get them.

Well, I have each one as a background on my 2 computers here, so that will have to do for now. :( Someday...

And what's with his obsession with Christina Ricci? Were they ever involved with each other or does he just stalk her through his paintings? :)

J

Okay - I'm as open minded as the next guy but I feel like I should go to confession after looking at Ryden's latest work...they are real disturbing to say the least.

R
Rain posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 9:30 PM

ryden is communicating his feelings in this latest batch. that's what artists do.

re: christina ricci - in an interview, he said that he likes her face. it's in a juxtapoz mag from last year sometime. as far as i know, there's only one conscious christina ricci painting - the rest just happen to look like her because... i dunno, he likes her face? :) i know a couple of girls whose faces i love and i want to paint. haven't gotten around to it, though.

He somehow managed to paint all my childhood nightmares! Bravo!!

D

i love the elements of Ryden's art.. most images are things i like, kitchy, fun... its the way he puts them together that creeps me out.

although his tiki stuff is all good and non scarey!

hey cultjam!

Let me know how much that bunny was!!

The images don't creep me out at all. They are so visual that you see a different image every time you look at a painting.

Of course, this is coming from a person that collects big eyed art, those scary bunnies and animals in his paintings and big eyed dolls.

Here's my favorite work of his: http://www.markryden.com/paintings/index.html
I love the nurses expression!

and this one!

Shoney's Big Boy, Betty Page, Keane,Barbie and a tiki mug hugging his leg!

http://www.markryden.com/paintings/index.html

C

On 2003-04-10 15:36, tiki_kiliki wrote:
hey cultjam!

Let me know how much that bunny was!!

I knew you'd call.

Well, on second look it's not quite straight out of that work but matches the Butcher Bunny remarkably.

The bunny is $14, no manufacturer's tag on it and it's been "well-loved".

There were three Trader Vic ashtrays there too. I didn't get pics, but two were of natives frollicking playfully and the other was a hut though it looked more log cabin than thatch. They hadn't priced them yet. Looked to be in excellent condition.

They said they'd ship. I'll PM more info.

Lisa Lisa

[ Edited by: Cultjam on 2003-04-10 20:49 ]

C

I keep looking at the pic of the bunny and the Butcher Bunny. That IS the bunny. You gotta get it. I don't know how rare that is but if you're half the Ryden fan that I am of Shag it's a must-have.

Wow, even collecting for someone else gets me all worked up....too much fun already. Gotta go lay down.

Thanks so much!!!! I didn't have a private message but you can email me at [email protected]!

You're swell!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-04-11 13:44 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies