Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Need help designing volcano fireplace

Pages: 1 5 replies

U
ualpow posted on Fri, Jun 5, 2009 2:48 PM

Ok the wahine gave the green light for my next project. I want to build a volcano fireplace around an outdoor fireplace insert. I will use heavy screen molded into shape with colored mortar over it. The fireplace chimney would exit the basin at the top and the basin will contain water that follows channels down the volcano. I will use fireglass in the channels to simulate lava and the water will converge into a sheet waterfall falling in front of the fireplace opening. The waterfall would fall into a pit of fireglass which would be pumped back to the top. I know someone here has some ideas for this project. I found some stainless cascade waterfalls online but dont know where to look for the fireplace insert.
Mahalo

K
kirby posted on Sat, Jun 6, 2009 12:28 PM

I built a valcano fire pit years ago.. I used the inside of a washing machine covered it in diamond mesh concrete or stucco. The inside of a washing machine should be easy to find I just went to an appliance repair shop and pulled one from the junk pile. They have a ceramic coating that resists heat very well.. I used mine for at about 8 years till it finaly rusted through from leaving it out in the rain...

U

Thanks for the info Kirby. Does anyone have experience with creating rocks, boulders or other things out of mortar over screen? I have the fireplace and water feature part thought out already. I just need help the the creative design of the volcano, or maybe just a weblink to someone who has done this type of work.

Did you see this link, lots of good pics

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23711&forum=18&28

U

Thanks MadDogMike, I got some great ideas from that link. I'm thinking of changing from a volcano fireplace to a volcano fire pit with the fire in the crater. It would be much smaller, easier and cheaper to build. Red, black and orange fire glass inside with natural gas fire.

I bought a free standing small propane firefit from WalMart for $50. I've filled the pit with red, orange & black glass and lava rock. Next will be to make a 6 sided sheetmetal cone around it to make a stylized volcano. Will probably hammer and rust the sheetmetal to give it some texture and color.

Pages: 1 5 replies