Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Suggestions for Dust Control

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hi all,

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to control saw dust when sanding or working with power carvers? I have to work indoors and need an affordable solution for controlling dust in my garage.

Thanks for any help!

..sand outside the garage.

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 1:23 PM

the cheapest way is to clamp or duct tape a shop vac hose to your work area and sand next to that intake. other than that you may want to google "dust control unit". they make them in many configurations.

or sand under water in a bucket.

B

Hey Perry, dust control is Very important, more so years from now weather you are working in a dust environment or not. Believe me you Pay for your early years of sucking up dust and smoke. I have a small Delta dust control unit I got years ago on line for $129 but it's gone up since then, and I also just won on eBay HERE
It just hooks up to your shop vac or dust collector.
Hope this helps
Here's one Similar to mine, cheep. LOOKHERE

myspace

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-06-08 13:57 ]

P
pdrake posted on Mon, Jun 8, 2009 2:11 PM

i know, ben, i really was trying to help with the most cost effective way. i usually just wear a respirator at this point. it also helps cut down on the smell of bone and other funky woods. dust masks are not effective, only a filtered respirator is.

B

Well that Dust collector hood hooked up to your shop vac is the cheapest, I'm sure he has more. Just get a long hose for the vac 'cuz it's probably loud in the same room.
I didn't mean to give you a lecture as I Know you know the deal with dust control, it was mostly for the young guys who don't.
:P

:D

:o

:lol:

Another way is to take a box fan (cheapo square floor fan) and tape an A/C filter to it. The fan draws the dust in and the filter holds it. Total is maybe $25 - a lot cheaper if have the fan!!

R

Some of my machines have an inbuilt extractor system, i just hook em to a vacume/ hoover cleaner, and keep that outside. Other machine i had to custom build a box wall around it. Even then the box is about 5 liter but it cant extract that much a second. Bone dust is real toxic even wood dust is, and it pollutes the enviroment. I used an extractor or find other methods that wont make dust, but chips instead.
In NZ, stone carving techniques are also used on bone, in stone carving, water is used to remove the dust chips, the water runs over the blade and the dust runs off with it. The system i use is based on the water method, but uses air instead.

Roybi belt sander has inbuilt dust bag, can fit extractor.

I hate masks, cant breath and to hot in summer :(

I use a dust mask with a vent. To hot in South Florida not to use the vented mask. I also use a 20" box fan with a 20x20x1" NaturalAire air filter taped to the back of it. I put the back of the fan next to my work area and it catches all the loose dust particles. It's not a heavy duty fix and won't suck up dust but it filters a lot of the stray dust. Box fan is cheap and the filters are cheap as well.

G

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I bought an Israeli surplus gas mask from a catalog and I wear it when I am doing dusty work.

I don't use the actual gas filter though. I cover up the intake hole with material and that keeps the dust out. It also protects my eyes better than any safety goggles I have found.

One other benefit, ever since I started wearing this while using a chainsaw, none of my neighbors has complained about noise.

Of course once the weather gets warmer, I imagine I will have to try something else.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Love the box fan idea and I have 2 on hand, maybe I'll set up one on each side on my work bench!

S

B

Hi

I don't know if it's possible but what about putting a fan behind you and a vacuum behind the machine, so that the fan blow the dust in the direction of the vacuum.

Just an idea...

Good luck,

Benjamin.

The box fan filter works great! I think I got that from something on YouTube. There is no need for a vacuum until you are done and the filter is clogged. You can also lay the fan down and sand on top of it for really fine sanding.

Pages: 1 12 replies