Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

The French 75

Pages: 1 6 replies

B

Hello my fellow cocktail enthusiasts..

The French 75 is a classic cocktail and wanted to know if anyone drinks this on the regular or actually makes this? It is the cocktail of the week over at Beefeater http://www.beefeatergin.com/mixology/video.php?video=French%2075

The French 75 first made its appearance in print in the 1930 edition of Harry Craddock's famous Savoy Cocktail Book. Legend has it the cocktail was first invented by WW1 Franco-American flying ace, Raoul Lufbery. Its name comes from the fact that it has such a kick, it felt like being shelled by the French 75mm field gun.

Its awesome watching this made. Does anyone make this a different way?

S

i've mainly heard of it with the gin mix but also heard it being made with congac instead of gin...either way ,it's a combo of lufbery's two favorite alcohols..i've made them before and had them well liked by folks that don't normally do gin drinks.

also,one of my mom's favorites,along with the grasshopper.....

You cant go wrong if your mother likes it!! The grasshopper was one of those cocktails that I haven't had the pleasure of trying. It might be due to the fact its a creamy cocktail but nonetheless i shall try. I forogt to post up the French 75 ingredients for all the other cocktial enthusiasts to try so here goes:

2 PARTS Beefeater Gin

2 PART Freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 PART Sugar syrup

TO TOP Champagne

METHOD Shake the gin, lemon juice and sugar syrup with ice, then strain into a Champagne flute. Top with the Champagne, and garnish with a Maraschino cherry.

Enjoy everyone

RB

Hmmm...new user named Beefeater...recipe calls for Beefeater Gin...drink isn't tiki. Connect the dots.

J

On 2009-06-10 06:58, Rum Balls wrote:
Hmmm...new user named Beefeater...recipe calls for Beefeater Gin...drink isn't tiki. Connect the dots.

And all other posts by that user also push Beefeater. This person is only interested in selling Gin, not talking tiki.

P

Now, no need to be hostile.

The French 75 is a great classic cocktail. We often go beyond tiki cocktails and ooh and aah whenever we find a place that serves well-made classic coctails like this. I know I always appreciate it and my love of a good cocktail is not limited to just tiki.

On the other hand, I don't think that the French 75 was necessarily the best drink to kick off a discussion about gin based drinks. First of all, it was originally made with cognac, not gin, and a true cocktail snob would stick their nose in the air and say, "this is not a gin cocktail!" And, of course, claims that this is not a tiki cocktail are also correct, as this is not a tiki cocktail.

So perhaps it might have been better to start out with one of the tiki cocktails that are made with gin. Drinks such as:

• the Singapore Sling (and its variants)
  • the Suffering Bastard (Shepherd's Hotel version, not Trader Vic's)
  • the Fog Cutter
  • the Saturn (Taboo Table)
  • and, in some variations, the Doctor Funk.

So, Mr. Beefeater, if you are not familiar wiht these cocktails then you may find you will have a hard time getting anyone here on TC to take you seriously.

Hi all, Thanks for the replies! And sorry if i have offended anyone. I spent 3 years in Singapore and became very accustomed to a Singapore Sling. I thought as this is a drinks forum you all might appreciate something a little different.

The suffering bastard on the other hand i thank you for as i have yet to try one.. Perhaps i will put it forward as our cocktail of the week here at Beefeater.

Pages: 1 6 replies