Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: Not my Ebay, but I had to share The Tikis Monterey Park

Pages: 1 11 replies

Bathroom sign, and maybe Sven could vouch. I know he knows Dug personally from past discussions, and I know if I had the extra money, I'd be all over this auction! A real piece of Tiki history..Dammit for being broke! haha
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360161135580

Tom- Yup, I remember Doug finding that sign in the Tikis' forest. That was during our great "The Tikis" Expedition of 1994. Here is a photo of its members:

From Left to Right, Top: Chris Nichols, his wife Charlene, ?, Doug Miller
Bottom: Sven Kirsten, John English, His wife Ginny, Otto von Stroheim
Photo by Pete Moruzzi

And here are some of the other things we encountered:

I just got these slides from Pete and scanned them yesterday. Kari Hendler is planning to write an article about The Tikis amusement park for Tiki Magazine.

Man oh man! Wonderful shots, Sven....It is unfortunate, it seems not much has survived this adult playground, other than the mugs and a few matchbooks...And that bathroom sign was created for the Elsinore Tikis then, right? Still an amazing artifact of a wonderful idea and place, gone sour. I can't wait to see/read the story, and I hope there are LOTS of images! Do you still keep in touch with "Dug" Miller? I've bought a few things off of him through ebay. He really has some amazing stuff that guy!
Thanks for sharing the photos!

Oh, how amazing it would have been to have gone on this expedition with you in 1994! Time machine, anyone? I think an adventure like this is every Tikiphiles' dream. Except, I suppose, for many of us, we wish The Tikis was still in operation. Aloha from Kari.

TS

Agreed! Even though this is the 94 tiki expo that went in search of tiki near Elsinore, it would have still been a wonderful trip! I'd take either the Tikis Monterey Park still in operation, or to have seen Danny complete and accomplish his vision for the Tikis II in Elsinore...Such a sad ending to such a wonderful effort and idea...I digress though, that he wasn't a failure by a longshot in my book...Only those who fail, are those who do not try...

Great analogy, I agree 100% Tom slick ...well stated .

That's a cool piece of history. I ran across a movie from the 70s that was filmed in Hawaii and the Tikis in Monterey Park. I will have to watch it soon and post some screen images.

The bathroom sign is up for sale again. Here is the photo for posterity.

And the story from the listing.

This is an ORIGINAL VINTAGE SIGN from the TIKIS BAR & RESTAURANT. I bought this from DANNY BALZ on the SVEN KIRSTEN Expedition to the TIKIS as seen on Page 13 of THE BOOK OF TIKI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-TIKIS-Original-Bar-Restaurant-RESTROOM-SIGN-Wood_W0QQitemZ160379532530QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item25575d74f2

What a great expedition.

DC

Posted by ORIGINAL EXPEDITION MEMBER Doug Miller! Here he is braving the California jungle, the first to reach the back entrance hut:

I love to see all the photos from this trip.

I was kind of holding back, because of that article on The Tikis in the next Tiki Magazine...but now it got postponed, inexplicably. :(

T

bump...

Pages: 1 11 replies