Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

teaKEY collecting ideas

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

When I think that I am no longer going to buy a tiki mug for a while just cause life has so many other things to buy as well as there are so many other tiki things to buy, along comes another tiki mug that tops what you already have in your sizable collection. Mug-makers are really topping themselves and that is why I think so many collectors are buying so many new mugs. And there are some particularly good mugs that have from the same top end makers this past year.

And the nominees for 2009 Hot as Cone Six are:

Munktiki ((both Paul and Stuckie) but Stuckie did travel all that way to Japan so)

Bosko (the PNG stuff is suck)

Squid (go out on his own and teaming up with another mug Legend)

Babalu (ram jam ((Clay Jams))

Bai (a late entry but smoking hot)

don't mean to forget anyone that should be next to these heavy hitters but there is always next year.

Didn't really know where to put this cause it never really has a home but it is always tiki

Can't argue with these.

T

"Bosko (the PNG stuff is suck)"
Do you mean sick? Or is suck now a word
that means good?

What about Crazy Al?
Tiki Diablo?

T

Suck could be a new word like how bad means good and cool means hot. But no I meant sick. Which is another of those opposite words. Yeah Crazy Al is doing it for sure but 2008 would have been Crazy Al, Notch, OceaOtica.... there are only so many spaces for the nominees so

There was a time that I thought Tiki Diablo was the best mug maker at his peak. He is more about carving at the moment. Like those Trader Vic carvings. Currently Crazy Al is tipped to a top carver at the moments cause man, the Frankie's tiki alone is enough to rest his hat on for years to come.

'subjective list' but I can see your point of view teaK's...

I do however feel GECKO deserves recognition. He is argueably in a class by himself and his recent glazeology innovations: Fat Lava, Pahoehoe, Ivory Bone... and a new one to be revealed (when it stabalizes). :o

He's teamed with other artists to realize 'thier designs' into mug form and carving INCREDIBLE moko/ tatau details into greenware, that once was merely cold paint and paint pen.

He has a global vision, heart for ohana and a passion for Polynesia that often puts his own personal designs on the back burner. Whatever the criteria for 2009, GECKO certainly is a force of ALOHA in mugdom any year. :wink:

T

Oh man, even I missed GECKO.
Yeah GECKOS got some nice stuff too.

LT

On 2009-06-13 07:35, TravelingJones wrote:
'subjective list' but I can see your point of view teaK's...

I do however feel GECKO deserves recognition. He is argueably in a class by himself and his recent glazeology innovations: Fat Lava, Pahoehoe, Ivory Bone... and a new one to be revealed (when it stabalizes). :o

He's teamed with other artists to realize 'thier designs' into mug form and carving INCREDIBLE moko/ tatau details into greenware, that once was merely cold paint and paint pen.

He has a global vision, heart for ohana and a passion for Polynesia that often puts his own personal designs on the back burner. Whatever the criteria for 2009, GECKO certainly is a force of ALOHA in mugdom any year. :wink:

Well stated Jonesy; a glaring omission from such a list.

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 5:55 PM

Munktiki is now selling these

And it seems to be working cause they look to be sold out.

On 2009-11-09 17:55, teaKEY wrote:
Munktiki is now selling these

And it seems to be working cause they look to be sold out.

Oooooh! Does it come in Persimmon?

"don't mean to forget anyone that should be next to these heavy hitters but there is always next year."

Another great mug maker is swizzle.

S

Wow!!! Thanks tikiskip. I'm extremely flattered to be mentioned in the same breath as my esteemed colleagues. If i'm allowed to even call them that.

Pages: 1 10 replies