Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

virani finds his voice

Pages: 1 40 replies

P

Aloha.

Well,he won't tell you about it so I will.

virani's new theremin CD is now being manufactured.
It features Haole Kats and Stolen Idols providing a lovely background for the eerie space age droning of the theremin, which virani tenderly manipulates.

Songs include Moon Over Manakoora - Taboo - Quiet Village - Aloha Oe - Beyond the Reef - and other Hapa Haole and exotica covers.

Dr. Alderete did the amazing cover and I think you can see it at jimmy virani's myspace page. I couldn't find a sample of the music but I'm an idiot. Perhaps it's there and you can find it.

Anyway - stay tuned. With all of this great music coming out lately, and it is remarkable and wonderful to witness it all cranking out like this, I wanted to get his very unusual and fantastic addition in the queue for the ohana.

That is great news pablus. Thanks for the heads up!

This is going to be a banner year for Exotica music!

I can't wait to hear it!!

Any idea when it will be released or where it will be available?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

V

This is right, that's a great year for exotica : Waitiki7, Skip Heller, tikiyaki, Kava Kon, Lost Idols (soon ?)... all fantastic exotica albums.

I don't have their talents, but I wanted to make this Hawaiian/exotica album on the theremin for a long time, and Pablus helped me realizing this project, also with fantastic musicians.
This was recorded in a week in Florida.

3 songs are listenable on http://www.myspace.com/nicolasvirani and the album will soon be available. I'll tell you more about it.

Dr Alderete provided a great cover, and CD artwork.

Please tell me what you think of the songs.

dude- the artwork and entire look of the c.d. is fantastic.....love the tunes too!!....i would totally pick this c.d. up when it becomes available....this is a really great start !! good for you!!......

Cool stuff!

H

Nice tunes.

sounds great,
can't wait to get it.
love the idea of Hawaiian, and theremin

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

Arrrrrrrrrrr!

sacrebleu!

M

Way to go, Jimmy! I have got to check this out.

Oh, the cover art looks nothing like you at all. Wait, put some super cool and suave glasses on that alien dude...yeah, that would do it.

Cheers...
Le midnite

Sounds geat Virani.
Very soothing to listen to while working.
You may want to change this photo though.:D

MH

You know, i have a lot of CDs I listen to while snail farming. but, these tracks top them all - very nice! Props to virani and I immediately recognized the sounds of some kin down in Florida - hats off to the haole kat crew (what up boyz!) It's nice to see so many new musicians coming out with material , regardless of the style.

Now, if only there were more bongos and vibraphone in this land of tiki...

mr ho

Virani....

Awesome !
Glad to see your CD is coming out. Way back when (1997?) I got me a small, pitch-only theremin, and always wanted to do an outer space/lounge instrumental CD....something like surf /lounge but with theremin. Alas, never really mastered the instrument, but it would pop up on my recordings from my bands...fuzzbubble being one of them, and one of our songs featuring a little theremin ended up on the 1998 Godzilla soundtrack (check iTunes for the song "Out There") .

Anyway, I opted for an exotica thing instead, but am really happy to see that you're bringing theremin into the exotica fold, and you really mastered the instrument. Bravo ! Looking forward to this disc.

Wanna Swap CD's ? Mine for yours ?

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-06-18 22:25 ]

V

Thanks everyone for your compliments. That really means a lot to me. Theremin playing is really hard, I had to practice everyday for 2 years to have a decent skill (and I still have a lot of progress to make).

On 2009-06-18 22:24, tikiyaki wrote:

Wanna Swap CD's ? Mine for yours ?

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-06-18 22:25 ]

Sorry Tikiyaki, I already ordered the super ultra mega package with the fantastic mug and bag, and I can't wait to receive it !

T

Wow, cool....I will buy yours when it comes out,, most definitely ! Pablus, if you were the one that set all this up...Big Kudos to you. Very exciting stuff.

P

I jezz prezz zee buttons and meex zee dreenks.

(I learned to speak French like that while virani was here.
Pretty impressive, hunh?)

V

On 2009-06-18 11:01, midnite wrote:
Way to go, Jimmy! I have got to check this out.

Oh, the cover art looks nothing like you at all. Wait, put some super cool and suave glasses on that alien dude...yeah, that would do it.

Cheers...
Le midnite

The glasses are there, but on the back cover :

Sign me up! I'm happy to support Franco-Theremin relations.

-Weird Unc

V
V

And there's also a video in my tiki bar, and a nice presentation...

http://mandarinelectron.com/select/

O

Pablus played me "Quiet Village" and it turned out superb!

Virani, it was great meeting you and recording with you! Looking forward to the CD!

T

I wanna buy !

When can I buy ?

Very cool. I look forward to owning this. And thanks for doing the Moon of Manakoora. That's one of my faves.

V
virani posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 8:43 AM

Thanks everyone. The CD is available from me directly, and soon from Jeff Central exoteque webstore, and for those coming, at the Ohana event in Lake George !

So, please, for everyone interested, PM me your adress, and you can directly paypal 15 dollars (shipping included from France) to virani at free.fr

Mahalo

[ Edited by: virani 2009-07-07 08:45 ]

WOW!

Virani, backed up perfectly by Haole Cats and Stolen Idols, has produced a magnificent Hawaiian/Exotica CD. He takes that theremin, certainly one of the hardest instruments to master, and makes it absolutely soar, from one song to the next. Spookiness be gone, for Virani uses the theremin beautifully, almost achingly so! His version of "Taboo" is something to behold- a real leap ahead for this Exotica standard. I could go on & on about this fantastic CD.

Congrats to ALL involved, but high praise to you, Monsieur Huguet/Virani! Every fan of music should own this.

-Andy

V

Wow, thanks you very much tikijoe for the very kind words. That means a lot to me, especially from a musician like you.

Very cool! Just PM'd you.

T

Where's my CD ? :cry:

I'm really wanting to hear this.

EDIT

Just got it, listened to it.....

LOVE IT !

Made my day !

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-07-16 17:24 ]

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jul 16, 2009 11:22 PM

Virani, great concept, Exotica thereminized. Gotta love it.

great art - Dr Alderte rocks

If you are at Tiki Oasis 10 next year you can catch the theremin pride of Norcal, Robby Virus and Project: Pimento.

V

On 2009-07-16 23:22, Otto wrote:
Virani, great concept, Exotica thereminized. Gotta love it.

great art - Dr Alderte rocks

If you are at Tiki Oasis 10 next year you can catch the theremin pride of Norcal, Robby Virus and Project: Pimento.

Oh yeah ! I saw Project Pimento live at the tiki crawl a few years ago, and loved it. Their latest album is a hit !

Thanks

V

the CD is also available now in the US through the great help of Jeff Central :

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33218&forum=12&hilite=virani

The first batch of CD's are currently "SOLD OUT."

Thanks to everyone who bought one. I should have more soon!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Boy, I am glad I will have mine handed to me in person, in Paris, by the artist. :)

RB

My copy arrived today (Mon 7/27)...thanks Jeff! Glad I jumped on your offer.

HK

Rec'd mine several days ago. Thanks Virani! It was a pleasure being a part of your project!

V

On 2009-07-31 07:04, Haole Kat wrote:
Rec'd mine several days ago. Thanks Virani! It was a pleasure being a part of your project!

Thank YOU !

I fits right in there with my other French CDs! :D

The virani CD's are back in stock!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Details here........................

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=33218&forum=12&start=last&3

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ Edited by: Jeff Central 2009-08-10 11:08 ]

T

Just finished listening to "Beachcombing in Outer Space",and just have to say this is the best Hawaiian,Exotica & Space Age Pop album you'll ever hear.Amazing,simply amazing......

H

I just got Virani's CD, and I have to say it is very good. I loved every song, I know I will be listening to it every time I am having a tropical drink, so basically I will be listening to it a lot.

Great Album! Mixing the theremin with Exotica may seem a little strange at first, but it works I tell you, it works!

Pages: 1 40 replies